• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

5.1 on a budget

fmessier6

Good evening folks,

I would like my composer studio to feature a 5.1 setup with the sole aim of using it for watching movies, but I currently have a headache for the myriad of options available and I was wondering how you would proceed if you were in my shoes.

My equipment:
  • A windows based PC (W7)
  • A pair of Quested V2108
  • A spare pair of Yamaha HS8
  • A Komplete audio 2
  • A krk sub 8
  • (missing, a central channel - i was thinking presonus eris)
As previously mentioned the main goal is to watch movies, so I am not concerned about matching speakers brands, I just want to have fun for a few hours a week and use my Quested V2108 for pretty much everything else work-related.

I am assuming I'll have to ditch the Komplete Audio 2 and switch to an audio interface with six outputs, and tell Windows 7 I'll be using a 5.1 setup from now on, as well as maybe buy a new controller? I'd like this to be as simple as possible but the information I've been getting is quite confusing.

Thanks for your help!

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It would help to list a budget?
A Logitech Z906 5.1 computer speaker setup would be the easiest ($300-$400).
Me, I find it just easier to use headphones.
What source(s) will be the movies?
Blu-ray, Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc?

OP
F

fmessier6

Thanks!

I am already using a pair of Quested V2108 in crossover with a KRK 8 inches sub, and I have a spare pair of Yamaha HS8, so I'll just need to buy a central speaker to complete the setup. Source mainly VLC media player.

My best bet so far is the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd Gen, not many options for a budget 5.1 with studio monitors unfortunately. If you have any other suggestion I'm all ears.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
this sounds like a single person setup? if so you could ditch the center and downmix to 4.1.
a 6 channel interface and Eqalizer-Apo is all you need.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If it's not for more than your own seat, a center may not be needed (and a center is not an ideal speaker as much as an identcal speaker to your L/R and 2-ways tend to be not as good as 3-ways among those already compromised "centers")

Top Bottom