• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

5.1.4 to 7.1.4 upgrade help - Kali Audio monitors?

decryption

After owning a pair of Kali LP-8 v2's in my study for a few months and loving them, I want to use Kali speakers in my dedicated cinema room too.

Currently have a 5.1.4 setup:

• Denon AVR-X3700H receiver
  • 2x Krix Lyrix Gold left & right floor standing speakers
  • Krix KDX Centre v3.1
  • 2x Krix KX-1850 rear surrounds
  • 4x Selby CS807 8" in-ceiling speakers
  • Velodyne CHT-15QR subwoofer
My plan is to have a 7.1.4 setup with the following:
  • 3x Kali IN-8 v2 as left, centre and right
  • 8x Kali LP6 v2 as surrounds & ceiling speakers
  • Velodyne CHT-15QR subwoofer
  • Tonewinner AT-300 processor
Anyone have any feedback/input as to any potential downsides to using the Kali speakers in my home cinema? Some I can think of:
  1. Damn blue LED on all the speakers. Will need to put small pieces of black duct tape over them.
  2. Need to run power to each speaker. Easy for the "base" speakers, but tricky for the ceiling speakers.
  3. The auto EQ on the Tonewinner isn't the best, but I didn't like Audyssey's auto EQ either, so may as well do a manual EQ with REW.
  4. Is there much point to using the Kali LP-6 as ceiling speakers compared to the generic in-ceiling speakers I've got there already? I could save my money perhaps and keep using them plus a cheap 4-ch amp? Or simply don't use them at all? (honestly never experience much Atmos stuff to be honest).

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I would imagine running RCA cables that long might be a issue?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd aim for the IN-5c for ceiling speakers if there is any chance they will have ceiling bounce (mounted and tilted towards you) or if they are pointing straight down and there's a chance people might be a more forward or backward from directly underneath.

OP
decryption

decryption

Thanks for the tip - is there a reason why the IN-5 is more appropriate for ceiling mount than the LP-6 V2? They seem to have pretty similar vertical & horizontal SPL (if that's the reason why you suggest the IN-5). That said, I can see the appeal of having all the speakers from the same "family", i.e: all IN-5 or IN-8 vs a mix of LP and IN speakers.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
^Coaxial speakers don't have the vertical cancellation lobes in their dispersion plots.

If you look at the reviews, Amir will mention this in most of them... Decent for a two way but with nulls around the crossover frequency which is basically an inherent issue for a two way design that isn't coaxial.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the room suited to a 7ch base layer? How much distance between rear surrounds and seating?

OP
decryption

decryption

^Coaxial speakers don't have the vertical cancellation lobes in their dispersion plots.

If you look at the reviews, Amir will mention this in most of them... Decent for a two way but with nulls around the crossover frequency which is basically an inherent issue for a two way design that isn't coaxial.

Ahhh, makes sense. Might just go for all IN-6/IN-8 anyways. Still a shitload cheaper than Genelec!
Is the room suited to a 7ch base layer? How much distance between rear surrounds and seating?
Made a little diagram (as I wanted to see if it'll all fit too)

theatre.jpg

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I own Krix and Kali.
I dont know that Kali have the spl/dynamics/dispersion for good HT speakers. I use Krix megaphonix l/c/r and no way could my Kali's - which I love on desktop - keep up.
Looking at your setup a second sub might be a first step for an upgrade. Then just l/c/r?

OP
decryption

decryption

I own Krix and Kali.
I dont know that Kali have the spl/dynamics/dispersion for good HT speakers. I use Krix megaphonix l/c/r and no way could my Kali's - which I love on desktop - keep up.
Looking at your setup a second sub might be a first step for an upgrade. Then just l/c/r?

Appreciate the opinion from someone that's used both! Certainly if I was to not go with an active speaker setup, Krix are high on my list. Good quality, Aussie made, sound great - what's not to love.

Top Bottom