• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

47 headphones amp output impedence

Thalis

Ok stupid question and I hope someone is familiar with this kit...........

As per the title... is this put-it-together-yourself amp's OI 47 ohms? Looking at the circuit design I see 47R and 220uF caps at the output stage.

I hope the pic of the schematics is clear enough

20200925_033301.jpg

EdW

The schematic makes more sense with pin 5 being the non inverting I/P. The data sheet confirms this. Then the pairs of opamps have their nominally identical O/Ps wired in parallel with 47 Ohms being used to allow for minor mismatches between the amps. Overall feedback is after the 47 ohms so O/P Z is very low. Gain of (10+4.7)/4.7

OP
Thalis

Thalis

The schematic makes more sense with pin 5 being the non inverting I/P. The data sheet confirms this. Then the pairs of opamps have their nominally identical O/Ps wired in parallel with 47 Ohms being used to allow for minor mismatches between the amps. Overall feedback is after the 47 ohms so O/P Z is very low. Gain of (10+4.7)/4.7

I won't be able to do anything about Pin 5 for the opamps as this kit already has a board with the printed circuits ready for assembling. All i could do was source better quality components before going ahead.

The gain you are calculating is based on any voltage? And any way to tell how low the output impedance is as you said its really low?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My less educated guess might consider the reactance of the output caps as the impedance...

0Hz - infinite
20kHz - very low

EdW

No there is a mistake on the labelling in the schematic U1B and U2B. Pin 5 is the non inverting I/P and pin 6 is the inverting I/P. Both opamps U1B and U2B are wired as unity gain buffer stages so as to bolster the O/Ps of U1A and U2A respectively - potentially doubling the available drive current. The O/P Z will be substantially under 1 ohm in series with the blocking capacitor of 220uF

OP
Thalis

Thalis

No there is a mistake on the labelling in the schematic U1B and U2B. Pin 5 is the non inverting I/P and pin 6 is the inverting I/P. Both opamps U1B and U2B are wired as unity gain buffer stages so as to bolster the O/Ps of U1A and U2A respectively - potentially doubling the available drive current. The O/P Z will be substantially under 1 ohm in series with the blocking capacitor of 220uF

Ok so its just a mistake in the schematics on paper and not on the board as I have seen many videos on the assembling and no mishaps. Nice to know the output impedance will be that good. Thanks!

OP
Thalis

Thalis

My less educated guess might consider the reactance of the output caps as the impedance...

0Hz - infinite
20kHz - very low

Are you quoting the possible FQ?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Thalis

Thalis

Forgot to add that i am going to give this thing 12V if that makes any difference.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When driving lower imp headphones I recommend to increase the output caps to 1000uF and and the power supply caps to 2200uF.
The 5532 isn't really designed for low impedance loads though. Even the output current doubling trick doesn't help much.
Nice opamp for amplification, not very suited to deliver current.

On 12V it will output about 3.2V and 60mA max. Due to the 22 Ohm current limiter and opamps current limit the output voltage will drop on 32 Ohm headphones to about 1.5V or so

So 30mW in 300 Ohm
80mW in 120 Ohm
80mW in 32 Ohm

Last edited:
Reactions: EdW

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Thalis

Thalis

When driving lower imp headphones I recommend to increase the output caps to 1000uF and and the power supply caps to 2200uF.
The 5532 isn't really designed for low impedance loads though. Even the output current doubling trick doesn't help much.

ok noted... but I am not going to use any IEMs with this. My headphones are 55 to 70ohms and I plan to get a Senn HD600 or 650 one fine sunny day. Another problem is I cannot fit bigger caps as the housing is not very tall and its sized to fit in those caps in the schematics.

EdW

Same thought crossed my mind about drive capability. The nominal value of the short circuit current from each amplifier is 38mA but could, worst case, as low as 10mA. (Rather unlikely).
So best stick to Sennheiser or similar high impedance headphones!
I did look for better opamps with the same pin out but TI’s website is down at the moment

solderdude

Grand Contributor
For the 55 to 70 Ohms you need to increase output capacitance. For HD600/650 is will play decently loud.
Consider changing the PS voltage to 18V or 24V when driving high imp. headphones. In that case the current caps (provided they are at least 16V rated) will be good enough.

Last edited:
OP
Thalis

Thalis

Same thought crossed my mind about drive capability. The nominal value of the short circuit current from each amplifier is 38mA but could, worst case, as low as 10mA. (Rather unlikely).
So best stick to Sennheiser or similar high impedance headphones!
I did look for better opamps with the same pin out but TI’s website is down at the moment

I did order a pair of original TI NE5532P

OP
Thalis

Thalis

For the 55 t0 70 Ohms you need to increase output capacitance. For HD600/650 is will play decently loud.
Consider changing the PS voltage to 18V or 24V when driving high imp. headphones. In that case the current caps (provided they are at least 16V rated) will be good enough.

Ok I guess i could stick in larger caps... but max i have are 470uF. The recommended voltage is 12V but max as stated is 18V. Maybe I can push it with a 19V laptop brick?

OP
Thalis

Thalis

This is the size of the board...

1600984478341.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You can safely increase the power supply voltage to 30V providing the caps are rated at least 25V (16V would be sketchy).
In that case (for 300 Ohm headphones only) you can use 470uF and 220uF. Just have a close look at the diameter. They may become higher than you may want.

Top Bottom