• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

4.4 pentaconn to 3.5

Olivergiangvu

It depends on how the adapter is wired.
When an adapter goes from 4.4mm to 2xRCA then it is very likely the adapter cable uses the unbalanced 'option' which is possible with Pentaconn connectors.

When it uses the balanced outputs of the Pentaconn and you connect the output to separate active speakers that are not connected via a 3-pin mains plug then most likely that will work fine too.

I can't see inside the adapter nor measure it so would have to guess as to what it does. Adds sometimes state untruths.
So, it can work fine if the adapter is correctly wired and take the unbalanced option from the Pentaconn?
I think if I should look for a reliable brand so it would work like the paper specs.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, if I go with the iFi IEMatch, the switch on the that can help to convert to SE 3.5 mm completely without short the Amp?
The only downside that you warned is that if add more load to the Zen Can so it can affect the power it drives out to the speaker, right? In case if the powered speakers have Amp build in, is that going to be a problem anymore?
If you are thinking of driving your powered speakers with SE inputs, why not just use the SE output from the Zen Can?

If you have to use the Zen Can's balanced headphone output (not the line out in the back*), the IEMatch has a minimum attenuation of 12 dB (High Sensitivity Mode). That means: output voltage = 0.25 * input voltage. My wild guess is that you may probably get a little less than 1 V output to you speakers (4 V output from the Zen Can to input of the IEMatch that has an input impedance of 16 ohm), which I guess should be OK.

* Note: The line out at the back has an output impedance of 200 ohm. With the IEMatch being a 16 ohm load, you'll be getting only 7% of the full output voltage at the input to the IEMatch, before being attenuated another 12 dB by the IEMatch. So using the line out will most likely not work well.

Olivergiangvu

If you are thinking of driving your powered speakers with SE inputs, why not just use the SE output from the Zen Can?

If you have to use the Zen Can's balanced headphone output (not the line out in the back*), the IEMatch has a minimum attenuation of 12 dB (High Sensitivity Mode). That means: output voltage = 0.25 * input voltage. My wild guess is that you may probably get a little less than 1 V output to you speakers (4 V output from the Zen Can to input of the IEMatch that has an input impedance of 16 ohm), which I guess should be OK.

* Note: The line out at the back has an output impedance of 200 ohm. With the IEMatch being a 16 ohm load, you'll be getting only 7% of the full output voltage at the input to the IEMatch, before being attenuated another 12 dB by the IEMatch. So using the line out will most likely not work well.

Thank you very much for the detail clarifications. I think i will go with the simple way as you suggested connect the SE speakers to SE headphone outputs

RensG

Nope, not using this adapter. You end up shorting the -L and -R output amplifiers on the Pentaconn side.

The good news is that Pentacon can be used for this but you need a special converter.
Pentacon L+ to 3.5mm L+ (tip to tip)
Pentacon R+ (second ring from tip) to 3.5mm ring.
Pentacon Sleeve to 3.5mm sleeve (common/ground)
The L- (first ring from tip) and R- (3rd ring from tip) MUST be left open (not connected)
Soderdude, you seem like the right person to ask this: I’m converting a HD600 cable to a balanced (4,4 pentaconn) for my HD600’s. From the leftover piece of cable with the 6,35/3,5 trs combi jack I want to make an adapter to a female pentaconn connector. Is that possible? In what order should I solder the wires from the trs to the lugs of the female pentaconn connector? Tip to L+, Ring to R+ and Sleeve to L- and R-? Thanks! :)

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
In what order should I solder the wires from the trs to the lugs of the female pentaconn connector? Tip to L+, Ring to R+ and Sleeve to L- and R-? Thanks! :)
With balanced outputs the left & right can't share a common ground (or anything else in common). You need a pair of wires going to the left earpiece and another pair going to the right.

(Balanced inputs are more forgiving.)

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With balanced outputs the left & right can't share a common ground (or anything else in common). You need a pair of wires going to the left earpiece and another pair going to the right.

(Balanced inputs are more forgiving.)

But the cable will be plugged into a single ended output. In effect, we are just adding a pentaconn socket and plug into the 4 wire (i.e. balanced) cable that goes from the TRS plug to the pair of 2 pin connectors that fit in the headphones.

On the brand new Sennheiser cable I just pulled out it's packet, both the negative pins (the fatter ones) on the 2 pin plugs are connected to the sleeve on the 6.35mm plug.

@RensG - It's been a while since I made my own 4.4mm cable and I can't remember the colours of the wires, but if you make a note of the colours you connect to the TRRR (L+, L-, R+, R-) of the Pentaconn plug, you just need to solder the same wires to the equivalent pins on the Pentaconn socket.

Also, what 4.4mm sockets are you using? They were difficult to find and expensive when I looked a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

RensG

@RensG - It's been a while since I made my own 4.4mm cable and I can't remember the colours of the wires, but if you make a note of the colours you connect to the TRRR (L+, L-, R+, R-) of the Pentaconn plug, you just need to solder the same wires to the equivalent pins on the Pentaconn socket.
Of course…this actually makes sense…when using the TRS adapter, the pentaconn jack/socket simply function as a wire connection…I was overthinking!
Also, what 4.4mm sockets are you using? They were difficult to find and expensive when I looked a couple of years ago.
I ordered these: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMjX7li

raif71

Major Contributor
Of course…this actually makes sense…when using the TRS adapter, the pentaconn jack/socket simply function as a wire connection…I was overthinking!

I ordered these: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMjX7li
From the picture, they looked like bullets. :) Wondering myself why this is female-female adaptor ? You would need an extra male to male wire then, right?

RensG

From the picture, they looked like bullets. :) Wondering myself why this is female-female adaptor ? You would need an extra male to male wire then, right?
I’m making a female 4,4 to male TRS adapter.

Top Bottom