• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

300 more wpc for $500?

FrankF

Forum Donor
Want to get a class D amp to go with a RME ADI 2. My speakers are Monitor Audio Silver 8 with a recommended max power handling of 200 watts. Have a line on 2 amps. ATI AT522nc at 200 wpc or it's identical looking stablemate the AT542nc at 500wpc. Both used in excellent shape. Is it worth the extra $500 price difference to get the larger amp to future proof although I have no current plans to change speakers?
But then we know how that goes;)

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you listen at 2w the you can reach peaks of 200W.

https://www.crownaudio.com/how-much-amplifier-power

If you are a person that can be satisfied with what you have for years to come, I would go for the higher power, for future proof. Spend most of your money on speakers anyway, they are what make the "sound" more than anything else.

I have been happy with my 450wpc mono amps (DH-220 Hafler) for lots of decades, never worrying about cleanly reproducing peaks (you cant really hear them mostly, but its nice to know you reproduce them clean, after all, that's the goal of the power amp.

Last edited:

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Headroom is always a good thing to have.

OP
FrankF

FrankF

Forum Donor
Thanks for the input. I'm going with more power. The Behringer is a great value but is only 225 wpc in 8 ohms. The ATI is made in the USA, to me in these times it is worth the difference. I was looking at a NAD M22 but scratched it off the list since it has the famous "Conceived and designed in Canada but made in China"... To increase our profits... AKA Apple.

ruinevil

Forum Donor
ATI and NAD both use Hypex modules in their Class D products, which were designed in Netherlands, but built in Malaysia. If your really want to get an all American product with superior THD+N but grossly inferior power and efficiency, Benchmark AHB2 is comparable for $3000.

Last edited:
Top Bottom