• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$200-ish DAC with balanced out

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am thinking either the Tone2 Pro or Soncoz LA-QXD1. Any thoughts on which you like more and why? Soncoz can use standard balanced cables and has volume for RCA and balanced out.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am thinking either the Tone2 Pro or Soncoz LA-QXD1. Any thoughts on which you like more and why? Soncoz can use standard balanced cables and has volume for RCA and balanced out.

SMSL SU8 V2

OP
D

dtaylo1066

I thought he fixed the hump. There may be too many compromises in $200 dac, maybe I need to go $400 to $500.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SMSL M300 MKII

Shazb0t

Another vote for the Schitt Modius. It's simple, measures well, and it works. It also has the ability to drive both single ended and balanced outputs independently.

The Khadas Tone Board 2 is interesting assuming they do manage to release upgradable firmware to correct the filter error, you like the form factor, and are willing to spend the money on extra adapters for balanced cables.

The Soncoz LA-QXD1 thread has too many premature failure reports, which considering the likely smaller sales volume vs larger company DACs, rules it out for me.

curiouspeter

The Gustard X16 .... here's what Amir said:

"This is superb performance in a $500 package, placing the X16 second in the list of all DACs tested ever"

Has the hump.

Has anyone ever heard the hump? I have a Topping D50 and never did "hear" the hump.

As far as SMSL goes, they all have "Sound Color" mode that can't be disabled. (If I read things correctly)

The Modius is what I would pick if a display and DSD wasn't needed.
I have the X16. What hump? Never heard the hump. It sounds great. My cat, with big ears, loves it too.

JSmith

Master Contributor
The Gustard X16 .... here's what Amir said:

"This is superb performance in a $500 package, placing the X16 second in the list of all DACs tested ever"

Has the hump.
Not sure what you're on about, as per the quote I was referring to the SU-8, the Gustard X16 barely shows any signs of it and the IMD is so low to start with even where it humps a little is still lower than many others. My problem with this model is the unit can only be turned on and off manually at the rear. Performance wise it is superb, just lacking in some functionality that is pretty standard in most products. SU-9 is also very good and does have normal on/off via remote and front button...
Has anyone ever heard the hump?
Big thread... have a read;

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/ess-thd-‘hump’-investigation.5752/page-14
As far as SMSL goes, they all have "Sound Color" mode that can't be disabled. (If I read things correctly)
edit: The sound colour mode can of course be disabled, you're thinking of the filters... every DAC employs at least one filter by required design, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between same.

JSmith

Last edited:
OP
D

dtaylo1066

Gustard x16 does look impressive. I am kind of leaning towards DSD. I have a Sony turntable that can record records in DSD. First turntable I have had in more than 30 years, and I have a trove of albums from the 70s and 80s.

curiouspeter

Gustard x16 does look impressive. I am kind of leaning towards DSD. I have a Sony turntable that can record records in DSD. First turntable I have had in more than 30 years, and I have a trove of albums from the 70s and 80s.
Recording vinyl to DSD with consumer equipment seems counterproductive.

I actually like DSD. But it's hard to do edits. How would you remove pops and crackles?

I also listen to vinyl occasionally. I don't do it for quality...

That said, downloads from NativeDSD sound awesome.

Dannemand

The sound colour mode can of course be disabled

I don't think that is necessarily correct. I had an SMSL M200, which came with 3 Sound Color modes: #1 being the brightest and most analytical (default) and #3 the warmest. At least in that DAC, it cannot be disabled, you have to choose one.

M200 is a great DAC for the price, though (I paid $235 around 11/11). Lots of features. Great display. No MQA, which some will prefer, others not.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
At least in that DAC, it cannot be disabled, you have to choose one.
That's odd... from what I can see the SMSL M400 has 3 main color options with 3 sub options each and then "standard" which is no color filter;
...the sound color filters will allow the user to change the Timbre characteristic of the DAC. The sound color characteristics include No filter, Rich, Tube, and Crystal. These will slightly vary the sound character of the DACs sound output.

https://headfonics.com/smsl-su-9-review/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...balanced-dac-review.16150/page-12#post-532905

index.php

JSmith

MOCKBA

Recording vinyl to DSD with consumer equipment seems counterproductive.

I actually like DSD. But it's hard to do edits. How would you remove pops and crackles?

I also listen to vinyl occasionally. I don't do it for quality...

That said, downloads from NativeDSD sound awesome.
Listen to rips done from mint or near mint quality records. DSD is a superb format for vinyl records. I stopped getting flacs after discovering DSD.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
DX3 Pro = no hump ... Stomps the X16 @ -17 to -23 dBFS (LOL)
Gustard X16 = hump

No big deal though right? All inaudible.

As far as SMSL, I owned an M200 and no way to shut off the stupid sound color mode. SMSL sent me a reply saying no way to kill it. Needless to say, it's still a great DAC. Blind testing would be a mess between all the top tier DAC's. Amir's ranking chart would be screwed up royally IMO.

View attachment 120732sent
SU-9

index.php

JSmith

Top Bottom