• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$200-$500 Class D amps with digital inputs?

Daniel7

I wish there were more integrated amps in this price range.

We definitely see SMSL, etc. at ~$200 and below, but then nothing it seems until the NAD D3020 @ $500.

Have I missed anything?

Looking for class D with digital inputs & a remote.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

OP
D

Daniel7

This is my front-runner. Thanks for your post.

It still would be nice to see more amps in the range I posted. A little nicer, a little more power... but there's really nothing that I've been able to find.

OP
D

Daniel7

OSD makes a couple of amps in this range, but they don't even publish THD specs and their CS didn't even know what that was when I asked.

Aside from that, I'm beginning to think that something like a DAC feeding an Emotiva A2M might be the only thing that represents a step up in quality and power over the sub-$200 digital amps on the market - and it doesn't have a remote.

I wonder where the RSL Speakers ia255.1 will fit in.

Am I missing anything here?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
SMSL SA300 comes to mind.

OP
D

Daniel7

SMSL SA300 comes to mind.
I'm not certain it offers anything over some of the other sub $200 amps like the Topping or Loxjie. It's sits pretty snugly in the abundance of <$200 offerings, though it does seem like a decent unit at first glance.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not certain it offers anything over some of the other sub $200 amps like the Topping or Loxjie. It's sits pretty snugly in the abundance of <$200 offerings, though it does seem like a decent unit at first glance.
I don't think SMSL has had a bad review here @ ASR going off memory. It seems to be a solid brand with nice gear for the expense. So flip a coin this or the Topping. :D

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just want a roon-ready RME DAC with subwoofer EQ+purifi main amp all wrapped up in one.

OP
D

Daniel7

The Topping PA5 has some great performance.

At $350, I'm considering pairing it with a DAC that has balanced outputs as the PA5 has balanced inputs only.

Paired with the Topping E50 DAC I'd get a remote, but kind of blows my budget at over $550 total for both pieces. I'm wondering if there's a more budget DAC/preamp that does balanced outputs and has great performance for significantly less than the E50, and ideally comes with a remote.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The Topping PA5 has some great performance.
Unfortunately it also has a design flaw which results in many, many broken PA5s. This has been acknowledged by the Amp's designer here, yet no fix has been offered.

I'm wondering if there's a more budget DAC/preamp that does balanced outputs and has great performance for significantly less than the E50, and ideally comes with a remote.
Least expensive DAC with volume, remote, and Bal out is the SMSL D-6 afaik.
It costs $30 less than the E50.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Looking for class D with digital inputs & a remote.
Can you stretch the budget a little?

audiophonics-da-s250nc-class-d-integrated-amplifier-ncore-dac-es9038q2m-bluetooth-50-2x250w-4-ohm-32bit-768khz-dsd256.jpg

JSmith

Here's what I was able to find:
  • Topping MX3s ($200)
  • SMSL A300 ($200)
  • SMSL AO200 ($240)
  • Audiophonics TPA-S120 ($240)
  • Dayton Audio WF150A ($250)
  • Sabaj A30a ($500)

I have an experience with the Audiophonics TPA-S120. The amp was nicely built with a robust case and a good set of fairly high quality inputs and outputs.

However, in my case the amp was extremely noisy. By this I mean I could hear the speakers hissing over 3 meters away to my listening spot which I am not used to. I've owned a lot of amplifiers and the only one as noisy as this was a Tangent Ampster BT II. Two other amps I use regularly nowadays are NAD C315BEE, NAD C720BEE and a Audiophonics MPA-250NC xlr which all are silent as a library at night. Connecting my speakers to AP TPA-S120 was a bit of a shock when it comes to that.

Also there was a deficit in the software. Selecting USB-input did not work but one had to select BT-input to use USB-input, but at the same time to use BT-input selecting BT-input worked just fine and the amp paired with my Android phone with no issues. I did not try to feed signal to the amp at the same time from both inputs though as I was afraid what would happen.

Anyway I'm not sure if my amp was a deficit one when it comes to hissing but I was confirmed that there are issues with the "naming of inputs" at the manufacturers end. To me it seems that the problems goe a bit deeper than that but then again, I may be mistaken.

To be honest this experience keeps me far away from amps based on TPA3255 chips for a long time. Yes, yes, I know. It's all about the implementation. At least mainly.

Well, I shall stick to Hypex nCore or Purifi when it comes to D-class.

Edit: corrected a couple of typos

Last edited:
Top Bottom