• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1970s and 1980s Students! Reveal yourselves

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Headed for the 70s...

If you wanna get those boomers up and shaking boot-tay....

Rocky Mountain Way, Joe Walsh.

Smoke on the Water and My Woman From Tokyo, both by Deep Purple.

China Grove, Doobie brothers.

Spirit in the Sky, Normal Greenbaum

I Feel Love, Donna Summer.

War Pigs, Black Sabbath.

That's a start!

ENG

Forum Donor
I become a student 1971, and the years up to that Creedence
Clarwater Revivel was wery popular at my student course. I
didn’t like the band and still don’t, but some of ASR’ members
may have nostalgic feelings about the band.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I saw the Rolling Stones on their Farewell Tour -- in 1982. So glad I caught them before they retired!
I talked a buddy into going in 1978,,,,Mick was turning 34 that day and I figured either Mick or I wouldn't last much longer!

TimF

Forum Donor
so many bands and you're young only so many years.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I have thought for a nice little surprise for my relatives. I wanted to play some music that was very popular at their time when there were at university.
Suggest me some tracks that were popular and if possible tracks that have very good staging. Thanks a lot wonderful people
70’s, limiting to stuff I played repeatedly:

Yes, Fragile and Close to the Edge, the pinnacle of symphonic prog of that era.

Jethro Tull, Aqualung and Thick as a Brick. And then in the late 70’s Songs from the Wood.

Mike Oldfield, Tubular Bells.

Genesis, When The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.

Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Brain Salad Surgery and Trilogy

Rick Wakeman, The Six Wives of Henry VIII and King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.

As you can see, I like my 70’s Progressive Rock. But for jazz I would add Maynard Ferguson, MF Horn 4-5 Live At Jimmy’s, which is inescapably from the 70’s no matter when the songs were written.

Afterthought: And basically anything from the Doobie Brothers, Kansas, and Chicago.

This was the non-classical new stuff I listened to in college on my Technics turntable, Kenwood integrated amp, and Advent Loudspeakers.

Rick “there was also some Waylon and Willie and the boys, but it was Texas” Denney

Last edited:

Aynsley

Any British student in the 70s or 80s with an interest in music would have listened to the John Peel Show on BBC Radio One.

All I can suggest is go to the source: The Perfumed Garden is a downloadable selection of many of Peel's shows from the mid 1960s to his untimely death in 2004. The audio quality is ... authentic. That's what analogue radio sounded like!
Or even the 60s, when John was broadcasting from Radio London. I got to chat with him many times, so hearing his voice brings back happy memories.

Thank you for that wonderful link!

charlieevett

80s collegiate here.

Dire Straits Brothers in Arms is a great sounding record.
David Bowie, Let’s Dance was at every party In its day.
Roxy Music
Prince tracks like Purple Rain and 1999 are iconic
For earlier 80s Squeeze is good choice, too, though I’m not sure how the audio engineering holds up.

DonR

Major Contributor
A lot of Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Phil Collins, Earth Wind and Fire

Top Bottom