• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

£10k Lavry Vs £100 Focusrite

Kane1972

Thought this may interest some of you?

Can clearly hear the difference, but wonder how different they would measure. I'm hoping this guy would compare something like the Topping E70 against the Lavry.

OP
K

Kane1972

Well I looked away and only looked up when I could hear the sound change and it the name of the DAC had changed. Not conclusive but I’m sure you can do the same. My hearing is not great btw.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
FWIW

IMG_0097.jpeg

OP
K

Kane1972

That's interesting, because it was the imaging that seemed to shift to me, like the vocal seemed to get seated dead centre and further back in the mix with the Lavry. It simply felt more focussed. If the panning was out, that would explain that shift in focus. Thanks for posting.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Scarlett 2i2 has been measured here.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Whatever the guy observed or wanted us to observe, it should have been the start of an investigation not the end.

He should have been in great distress, concluding that either
  • his procedure wasn't as water tight as he thought, or
  • at least one of the two DACs was not transparent.
Instead he rushed to conclude that the Lavry was simply better, and no wonder given its price tag, yadayada. The usual drivel.

OP
K

Kane1972

Whatever the guy observed or wanted us to observe, it should have been the start of an investigation not the end.

He should have been in great distress, concluding that either
  • his procedure wasn't as water tight as he thought, or
  • at least one of the two DACs was not transparent.
Instead he rushed to conclude that the Lavry was simply better, and no wonder given its price tag, yadayada. The usual drivel.
I agree, he should have dug in a little deeper. I guess it sort of makes sense to conclude the high price converter you use everyday to produce records is better as it did sound better, but this now seems like it was possibly due to there being an issue with the Focusrite not being panned correctly. Of course this could be a fault with it rather than user error.

This guys video's are actually really really good when he's giving mixing tips. This is the first time I've seen him talking about gear itself.

OP
K

Kane1972

What, his mixing tips? He simply talks people through EQ and compression techniques etc. Can you give an example of of how he hype's things, as I don't think I'm getting you?

tamtam

Yea, there is quite a difference between the two. Similar to what I experienced when switched from basic Presonus interface to Prism sound.
However, I don't think anyone needs to go crazy and pay 10k for an interface as a daily driver for non-mastering applications.
I believe that a good high quality interface, say RME Babyface FS, will produce equally pleasant sound as Lavry in listening test.

Top Bottom