Search results

1. Tangband

Is there a better fullrange driver than Markaudio chn110 ?

Looking at the measurements with dsp corrections of ppataki:s Markaudio chn110 speakers measures better than any other fullrange speaker I have seen measurements from. Here is his building thread with all measurements ...
  2. Tangband

Extending bass response with the help of dsp

One cant fool the acoustic laws in loudspeakers, there are no free lunches even when using dsp to extend the bass response in a bass reflex loudspeaker . This is what we have learned. But this is an interesting article : https://audioxpress.com/files/attachment/2721 I had to test this . In a...
  3. Tangband

The Netherland Bach society - St. Matthew passion

I cant think of a better performance than this - Marvelous sound and performance . What do you think ?
  4. Tangband

Real measurements of iFi ipower 9V

Objective measurements of the iFi ipower products seems hard to find . I found a really interesting review with many tested power supplies and real measurements , here : https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/31119-power-supply-8-group-test-lps-and-smps/ It seems that the iFi ipower is...
  5. Tangband

WiiM pro + power supply can probably be bettered - measurements

Hans Beekhuyzen has done measurements - the original power supply to the WiiM pro and pro+ sags and wont deliver 5 volts at 1A. He says soundquality is improved by the other tested power supplies. Comments on this ?
  6. Tangband

Wolfson 8741 and 8742

Reading the Rega dac R thread, I have found something interesting about the dac chip used . Looking at stereophiles review of Linn Klimax DS , there is high distortion in the measurements just like from the Rega dac R . Those two dacs uses 8741 and 8742 , very similar chips. Edit: the sound...
  7. Tangband

WiiM pro soundquality as a digital transport and the digital volume control quality when listening to music

Having a bad cold recently almost made me stop listening to music , but from today I have this streamer at my home . It weighs almost nothing and the power supply is a very small 5 volt charger . I like the look of this unit - it looks like a grown up Apple TV . :) I can already say that Wi-Fi...
  8. Tangband

The best digital preamp : Yamaha wxc50 or WiiM pro used with an external dac ?

I have the Yamaha wxc50 as a digital preamp using spdif output with volume regulation to a Rega R dac. The sound is good, but I know that the Yamaha in preamp mode unfortunately does SRC with everything to 48 KHz. Yamaha does talk about 48 bit volume precision which seems strange because the...
  9. Tangband

Making highend RCA interconnects

I made a DIY cable using an 75 Ohm antenna cable and some rean/neutrik RCA plugs. Its a single core cable without extensive shielding. I followed the descriptions from this guy : https://cracklingsound.com/best-diy-interconnect-cable/ The result was a very detailed sound, much more than with...
  10. Tangband

AirPlay 2 - digital volumeregulation resolution 16 bit or more ?

I am seeking some information about this but havent found clear evidence that the volume regulation resolution for airplay2 is ”only” 16 or 24 bits. I like airplay because its so user friendly https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPlay ”The protocol supports metadata packets that determine the...
  11. Tangband

Are the WiiM pro + and Audiophonics ncore mpa s250 poweramp the best products of this year, regarding value ?

With WiiM pro + you also have a good dac and a preamp that one can use directly with volume control to a Hypex Ncore 250 poweramplifier . This sort of technical excellence is unheard of just a year ago for this price ...
  12. Tangband

Using Tunemethod to evaluate different OP amps in a TPA 3251 amplifier ( Aiyima a04 )

I did som OP rolling yesterday with my Aiyima a04 tpa3251 powered by a medical grade powersupply from meanwell 30V 6A. I used my two identical Aiyimas a04 - the reference had lm4562. Could it be bettered soundwise ? Source was a Yamaha wxc50 using Apple Music with airplay. Loudspeakers was my...
  13. Tangband

Markaudio CHN 110 building and comparisons with Genelec 8340 SAM monitors

I have been building a pair of single driver loudspeakers just for fun this week. I have bought a pair of Markaudio chn110 drivers, and if this sounds good Im gonna buy the more expensive alpair model. Loudspeaker: Size : 24 * 19,5 ( baffle) * 106,5 cm ( about as high as the sibelius...
  14. Tangband

How to make a good three way loudspeaker - which bargain drive units ?

Goals = 100 dB at listening position with low distortion 30 -20000 Hz inroom, with two loudspeakers. The construction should be a dsp active loudspeaker with 3 power amplifiers and active crossovers. My suggestion for each loudspeaker : Tweeter : SB acoustics adc 26 ( crossover at 2.2 kHz 24...
  15. Tangband

Is transient response the most important thing for the perceived audio quality in a system ?

This is an interesting article : https://www.hifireport.com/understanding-transient-response-in-audio-a-beginners-guide/?utm_content=cmp-true ”Why is transient response important? Well, music is full of transients. If your audio system can’t reproduce them accurately, the music will sound...
  16. Tangband

Building a speaker with the bass tube placed on top of the speaker

Imagine building a 1,2 meter tall bass reflex loudspeaker . Now you have to make a decision were to place the bass tube . It is usually done with the port at the lower end of the speaker, near the floor . But is that really the best place for a good sound? Will the sound instead be better if...
  17. Tangband

How much impact for perceived sound - direct sound and room sound

My opinion is that the direct sound coming from the speaker , on axis, is the most important for perceived sound quality in many cases . This because of the precedence effect, that noone of us can ignore. Every delayed room sound coming to the listener is attenuated by the brain as much as 10 dB...
  18. Tangband

You thought that there were no audible differences between different amplifiers ?

An interesting recording comparison between different amplifiers using the Kef R3 loudspeaker . The sound differences between those different amplifiers are surprisingly big . Can you also here a difference ?
  19. Tangband

Preferred frequency response with classical music vs rock/pop music ?

With my Genelec 8340 monitors , theres is a possibility to use GLM to get the preferred sound you want, using eq and peq. With most classical music, I only prefer some slight GLM correction below 200 Hz . I dont prefer any deviations from flat from 200-20000 Hz. Every instrument sounds more...
  20. Tangband

Linn releases new highend loudspeaker, klimax 360

A four way active loudspeaker , good looking cabinet with rounded edges and exakt dsp crossovers. It seems like Linn is taking diffraction problems seriously , finally.
Top Bottom