• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Linn releases new highend loudspeaker, klimax 360

Tangband

Major Contributor
A four way active loudspeaker , good looking cabinet with rounded edges and exakt dsp crossovers.

It seems like Linn is taking diffraction problems seriously , finally.
1C175641-7579-4235-B32D-F8F5C1842FE4.jpeg
21F5CAF2-BAD1-41FF-BCC8-403B83DC1F2C.jpeg

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless there's a problem at my end, the link goes nowhere.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Linn has offered active speakers since the very beginning of offering speakers in the 70’s, so yes, we are sure.
@Tangband already answered:
There is apparently both a passive and an active version of this speaker .
Like it is the case Klimax 350, both should be available at some point.

The picture may or may not show the fully active configuration.
It does not show the fully active configuration, and that is for sure.

Reactions: MAB

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It does not show the fully active configuration, and that is for sure
Maybe, maybe not, if the 360 is anything like the 350, the amplifiers are in the speaker enclosure.
On-board Amps​
2x 100 W, 2x 400 W, 2x 1000 W​

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor
It's official:
View attachment 281373

And they cost 55,000£ (semi-active) to 87,500£ (fully active).
It looks like the most diffraction free enclosure that Linn has ever made for a loudspeaker. I have listened to the Klimax organik streamer, and this active exakt model has organik dacs . My guess is that they will sound wonderful.

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do all Linn products have the letter 'K' in their names?
"K" stands for "Klimax", I guess... I don't know.

Cote Dazur

Why do all Linn products have the letter 'K' in their names?
It started with the first product, the LP12 Sondek, then the Isobarik DMS and Isobarik Sara, after that all product had K in their name, as a full Linn system guy since the last 40 years, I like it, I think it is Kool.:)
Even the logo is playing along when turned 90 degrees.
6881f031ed13833853daa42fdc0cabb5a0878ee6.jpeg

ozlegend

Audio Company
It started with the first product, the LP12 Sondek, then the Isobarik DMS and Isobarik Sara, after that all product had K in their name,
Nearly but not quite true. For a while some of their lower priced products had an "x" rather than a "k" in their name eg Index, Nexus and Helix, all loudspeakers. I remember that it sometimes took almost as long to think of a suitable name as did to design a product :oops:

ozlegend

Audio Company
A four way active loudspeaker , good looking cabinet with rounded edges and exakt dsp crossovers.

It seems like Linn is taking diffraction problems seriously , finally.
View attachment 275219View attachment 275220

Few people realize that the 10 mm radius that many assume significantly improves baffle edge diffraction is only effective for frequencies above about 6 kHz. Jim Theil of Theil Audio was one of the first manufacturers long ago to put radii of up to 100mm that lowers this frequency to around 600 Hz.

When I designed the Linn Keltik (a precursor to this loudspeaker) I put an array of grooves of different lengths and orientations on the baffle to try to break up the edge diffraction effects. It was the best of various patterns I tried and had a very useful effect on imaging etc but I suspect not as good as large radii :confused:

Adi777

Few people realize that the 10 mm radius that many assume significantly improves baffle edge diffraction is only effective for frequencies above about 6 kHz. Jim Theil of Theil Audio was one of the first manufacturers long ago to put radii of up to 100mm that lowers this frequency to around 600 Hz.
Rounded edges are always better, or does it depend on the speaker design? Or maybe it's not very necessary?

Reactions: MAB

DSJR

Major Contributor

When I designed the Linn Keltik (a precursor to this loudspeaker) I put an array of grooves of different lengths and orientations on the baffle to try to break up the edge diffraction effects. It was the best of various patterns I tried and had a very useful effect on imaging etc but I suspect not as good as large radii :confused:
So it was you who subjekted us to aktiv Kelitiks was it? ooooh the stories I could tell :D

OP
Tangband

Tangband

Major Contributor

Nice to have you on this forum - I loved the sound of active Keltiks and also had active Kabers. I follow your speaker constructions at Legend acoustics with big interest. It seems that an active 4 way speaker is the way to go, without big compromises ?

Top Bottom