Search results

1. ahofer

What does “musical” mean? Audiogon takes a stab

I violated my “don’t click on the Audiogon threads rule” to see what might be said. A few posts in and we are still talking about amplifiers, “pace and rhythm” have entered the dialogue, and one falsifiable suggestion is made, that the distortion signature is “musicality”...
  2. ahofer

Anyone heard the curved keyboard?

This is really interesting: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/28/nyregion/piano-curved-keyboard-carnegie-hall.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare https://www.chrismaene.be/the-maene-vinoly-concert-grand/ They say it is intuitively comfortable to play (er…Jonathan Biss says...
  3. ahofer

Proper Q for room modes

I've searched around a bit here and haven't seen a thread specifically on EQ for room modes. There's some guidance on the internet that suggests a Q of up to 15, which seems pretty peaky. Just for fun, I've created a competing EQ to my convolution by just using the suite of measurements I took...
  4. ahofer

Best Noise Cancelling Headphones - Closed and IEM?

I didn’t see a thread for this, but what are the best noise- cancelling headphones? I use a few pairs on the subway and in planes (unfortunately I am in those a lot). Forum thoughts?
  5. ahofer

All-in-one, or streamer+active monitor?

I want to upgrade the sound in my kitchen from the Google Nest I have there. There’s room for something like a Sonos or Elac Z3. I use Roon, chromecast, and airplay. I was thinking, a Wiim+ a single good active monitor might be better than one of these appliances. Have to mix to mono...
  6. ahofer

Temperature tolerance of equipment - home theater in barn

I have a home theater of sorts in my barn in CT, which is not winterized. We project onto a large pull-down screen, and it's been a lot of fun over the summer. I've been using some old speakers and an old Mirage subwoofer but I'm thinking about upgrading. Outdoor temperatures can be as low as...
  7. ahofer

Some very specific EQ advice for men

Octave above middle C and a little sharp
  8. ahofer

Living Stereo Recordings

Just listening to one of these (Stokowski Rhapsodies) and remembering all the hoopla about them. They sound a little like FM radio. Good recording but a touch rolled-off. Anyone ever dissected the unique aspects of these recordings? I think it may be the inaccuracies that make them appealing...
  9. ahofer

For Sale (UPDATE-SOLD): A bunch of equipment, to pick up in NYC. (Adcom, VTL, Marantz, Bryston, Systemdek, IFI, Nakamichi, JBL)

I have accumulated a lot of equipment I don’t need. The residue of my audiophile past. I’m in the middle of dealing with my Dad’s dementia and my parents’ estate, so I’m short on time and energy for selling and shipping. Any members in NY who would be interested in these? I’m also happy to...
  10. ahofer

The Upgrade Treadmill and the Hedonic Treadmill, Audio Upgrade-itis.

I recently listened to a discussion that suggested another reason for the upgrade treadmill audiophiles seem to suffer from. Up until now, I had chalked it up to the following: We tend to hear improvements when we swap out gear. In many cases these are not strictly *audible*. My assumption is...
  11. ahofer

Your phone, SMS, telcos, and your security/identity

I read this with some fear, some recognition: http://falkenblog.blogspot.com/2022/11/my-340k-hack.html It’s just too easy for a mobile telco employee to port a number to a new SIM. I also resent how banks and other important on-line vendors insist on taking you back to SMS (even after you 2FA...
  12. ahofer

Harbeth coming out with a “digital” speaker

https://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/threads/welcome-to-a-new-world-of-sound.80645/ Interesting that in a separate conversation I had (and posted here) he poo-poo’d the idea that a prospect’s in-home experience might be improved with measurement and DSP. Alas, such are the marketing imperatives...
  13. ahofer

FS: KEF LS50W speakers (not Meta) in perfect condition, stands, KRK subwoofer (not in perfect condition)

Black w/blue drivers and original box and packaging. These are the originals. Hifi shark has them around $1,100-1,450, I'll do $900. Pick up in NYC.
  14. ahofer

Self-Calibrating DSP

I was reading about this Sony streamer. Anyone measured or tried it? It has auto-calibration, which I assume is some measurement-PEQ process. https://www.sony.com/tz/electronics/home-speakers/srs-ra5000
  15. ahofer

Restaurant/coffee shop audio

It drives me crazy how the sound is set up at my local Starbucks. One speaker is over the line, and distorts like crazy. What a pleasure to listen to horrible and distorted Christmas music too loud. You’d think with their resources they’d have a way to make it sound pleasant. Although I’ve...
  16. ahofer

Importance of SPL-Response Linearity

I keep looking at these graphs in Erin’s reviews and thinking these measurements deserve more discussion. Doesn’t a lot of difference hear suggest that the speaker’s dynamic response is poor?
  17. ahofer

Android as Roon Endpoint? - new feature: bit perfect

This seems worth a bump: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/arc-bit-perfect-in-android-phone-finally/224694 I know we have other threads, but I don't think this should be buried. I think it means I can use my old Android tablets as a Roon endpoint. (I mean, there was a way, but this is easier)
  18. ahofer

Testing a used speaker with REW before buying?

I'm going to pick up a pair of f228Be speakers tomorrow. Used. I want to make sure the drivers are working to spec. I was thinking I should bring my laptop with REW and play white noise in each channel and do a moving mic test. If the response is normal looking, then they are probably OK? I...
  19. ahofer

Making generalizations about music, another example of the 'Streetlight Effect' / "Drunkard's Fallacy"

As those who saw me react to some generalizations about the classical tradition well know, this sort of thing really bothers me. 99-to-1, he is searching his own selective experience rather than examining his thesis by hitting the music library/streaming service...
Top Bottom