Search results

1. Shefffield

General discussion/planning for "fully digital" DIY speaker - DAC boards, protocols, interfaces etc

Hello forum, given all the available DIY boards and modules, it should be possible and not overlay complicated to build a DIY speaker that's pretty much fully digital. With that I mean: You connect it to a computer and you're done. Picking good options out of the vast selection is quite a...
  2. Shefffield

Solder - unleaded or classic Sn60Pb38Cu2?

Hello, forum! I'm not really good at soldering. In order to maximize my chances for good, reliant connections I still think that using leaded solder makes it a lot easier. As far as I know, it is still legal for private users (here in Europe) to buy and use leaded solder. Where to purchase it...
  3. Shefffield

Influence of fs (driver resonance frequency) on active/passive XO development?

Hello forum, I hope this is the right section of the forum to discuss this topic. I'be been wondering about which or how much influence the resonance frequency of a driver/driver in cabinet has - especially since I am more interested in active crossovers. Sure, I am aware that for passive...
  4. Shefffield

Recommendations for DIY balanced line level cables (voodoo-free)

Hello forum, I have to rearrange my DAC and amplifiers setup and need to make new cables for that. The units in question are an RME Fireface UFX II as DAC/preamp and a bunch of Powersoft D-Cell 504 amp modules (technical specs in this post...
  5. Shefffield

Advice for DIY fixed ratio line level attenuator (voltage divider) for active DIY speaker

Hello forum, Not sure if I am in the right section or should have posted in DIY... I need some help in designing and building some fixed ratio attenuators for my speaker setup. Digitally controlled active speaker, each driver on its dedicated DAC and amp channel. Recently I damaged a tweeter...
  6. Shefffield

How a music score is being done - Mick Gordon "Doom Eternal"

Thought I'd share this marvel of compositional creativity with electronics: I'm not into gaming, I'm not into electronic music, at all. But what Mick Gordon achieved is breathtaking. And especially HOW he did it. Have fun with the presentation!
  7. Shefffield

In-wall speakers: staging? listening experiences? optimization targets?

Hello forum, I'm working on a concept for my next digital DIY speaker. Based on recommendations and listening experience from a friend I am leaning towards an in-wall design. I aim for highest acoustic quality and don't care much about looks or practical issues. For crossovers, filtering and...
  8. Shefffield

Introduction to forum: digital speaker DIY enthusiast

Hello, Amir! Hello, Forum! I found my way to this website through Floyd Toole's book and Amir's excellent YouTube channel. I'm hoping to find a similarly grounded approach to our fascinating hobby here. Who am I? I guess my 'hifi career' has been fairly typical until roughly 12 years ago. The...
Top Bottom