• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations for DIY balanced line level cables (voodoo-free)

Shefffield

Hello forum,

I have to rearrange my DAC and amplifiers setup and need to make new cables for that. The units in question are an RME Fireface UFX II as DAC/preamp and a bunch of Powersoft D-Cell 504 amp modules (technical specs in this post: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ider-for-active-diy-speaker.28709/post-998878). The cables lengths will be around 3..5 m each.

Since I finally found a forum where esoteric believe seems to be frowned upon, I'd like to check with you if I am thinking in the right direction.

I plan to buy from pro audio suppliers, Cordial, Sommer cable and the likes.

1. Cross section (gauge)
Pro audio signal cables are available in different conductor cross sections. I am aware that the resistance of a relatively short line level cable doesn't matter much, but the price difference between 2x0,22 mm², 2x0,34 mm² and 2x0,5 mm² is not big. Is there any harm in going for the larger cross section and minimize the resistance?
On the other hand, the contact patches at the amp modules are relatively small (see 3.), so I might just stick to the 2x0,22 mm² standard and not worry.

2. Shielding
Since I am totally free to build the connections as I like, I could add a thicker (1,5..2,5 mm²) cable in parallel to the shield on pin 1. Just to offer any unwanted currents a convenient path of least resistance away from the signal wires. Helpful or unnecessary?
I assume that it's best to connect pin 1 on both ends for a proper grounding of the amp modules to the DAC.

3. Connectors
I'm a fan of Neutrik connectors and have no reason to look for anything else. Given my thoughts in 1. I think I should pick their BAG versions (gold plated contact pins). I have 2x XLR female for channels 1+2 and 6x TRS for channels 3-8. The amp modules have shrouded header connectors.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
2. Shielding
Since I am totally free to build the connections as I like, I could add a thicker (1,5..2,5 mm²) cable in parallel to the shield on pin 1. Just to offer any unwanted currents a convenient path of least resistance away from the signal wires. Helpful or unnecessary?
In a balanced connection the ground doesn't carry any signal-current.

0bs3rv3r

1. Cross section (gauge)
Pro audio signal cables are available in different conductor cross sections. I am aware that the resistance of a relatively short line level cable doesn't matter much, but the price difference between 2x0,22 mm², 2x0,34 mm² and 2x0,5 mm² is not big. Is there any harm in going for the larger cross section and minimize the resistance?
On the other hand, the contact patches at the amp modules are relatively small (see 3.), so I might just stick to the 2x0,22 mm² standard and not worry.

Mechanical strain on connections caused by thicker heavy cables is a downside.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using standard Neutrik connectors (no gold contacts) and standard microphone cables (Klotz). You may prefer cables with 110 Ohm wave impedance because those can be used for digital AES/EBU connection as well.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I like your thinking. I used to buy quality parts from suppliers (Mouser, etc.) like Neutrik connectors, etc. then build my own. Then I found that Bluejeans Cable in Seattle either already had what I was building, or they would custom make me a cable for about the same price as it would cost me to build it myself, using the same high quality parts. I've been using them since and recommend them.
Not just line level cables, but also headphone cables. For example Audeze wants $150 for their standard replacement LCD cable. That's ridiculous. It's not even well made, doesn't last more than a year or two. Blujeans built me one that is 10 times better quality and will probably last a lifetime, for less than half the price.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I've kinda lost concern over the pedigree of balanced cables, after this no-signal measurement of a cheap no-name cable:

Lambda

Major Contributor
Anything is good enough. (audio transparency wises)
I would not go with over 0,34mm² or it becomes to big heavy.

Star Quad is objectively better in suppressing Noise form EMI. (but is this a concern?)
If this an concern uses https://www.neutrik.com/de/produkt/nc3mxx-emc and add an Ferrite clamp on the cable.

If not uses normal Neutrik or Amphanol connectors.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
3. Connectors
I'm a fan of Neutrik connectors and have no reason to look for anything else. Given my thoughts in 1. I think I should pick their BAG versions (gold plated contact pins). I have 2x XLR female for channels 1+2 and 6x TRS for channels 3-8. The amp modules have shrouded header connectors.

BAG is silver plated? I'd go for NC3MXX-B and NC3FXX-B if doing DIY.

But going for premade Cordial cables seems like a good choice. No nonsense brand manufactured in Germany.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Magomi, Neutrik, solder… and maybe some cable covers if you want to “tart them up.”
Canare Star-Quad, Neutrik, solder---heat-shrunk tubing is good for strain relief, also makes color coding easier if that's your thing.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've kinda lost concern over the pedigree of balanced cables, after this no-signal measurement of a cheap no-name cable:

I'm curious, what was the impedance of the terminations when you performed the test?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'm curious, what was the impedance of the terminations when you performed the test?

Focusrite Clarette4Pre USB balanced output to balanced inout, so...

Unknown.

---

Maybe here:

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
On advice from a mate with 20+ years in the industry i’ve recently bought 4 x 2m as below to connect my cxnv2 streamer to Dynaudio 18s sub and sub to LYD 48’s, nice looking cable but it does have a larger diameter and is quite stiff/heavy compared to my previous Van Damme but that’s not an issue for myself. I don’t have “golden ears” so can’t express anything about the sound quality compared to the previous cable but music still comes out of the speakers so I’m happy enough knowing I’ll never need to replace them.

Sommer Carbokab with Neutrik XLR’s

kchap

Forum Donor
Focusrite Clarette4Pre USB balanced output to balanced inout, so...

Unknown.

---

Maybe here:

I'm impressed. My initial thoughts were "The figures for the cable are okay but I would have expected better".

However as your measurements are for the cable and the Focusrite Clarette I think they are excellent. Based on @paulraphael's figures it would be reasonable test the cable with one end terminated with a 150 Ω, ¼ W resistor and the other connected to the Spectrum Analyser. Of course then you have the problem of the Spectrum Analyser's noise floor.

DualTriode

Use the cables that @amirm uses to do his equipment tests.

I went out and purchased rolls of Carane and Nagomi cords and Neutrik cord ends. The parts made nice cables.

The thing is that you can go to Amazon and purchase The World's best Cables already assembled with the same parts for the price of the parts alone.

Thanks DT

Last edited:

Waxx

Major Contributor
Most studio's in the world, including the very high end, use Mogami or Canare cabling with Neutrik or Switchcraft connectors. Not esotheric bullshit cables with all kind of addons that don't do good stuff, nor the extra thick stuff that some use. Those are standards that are used for decades with good result and are already expensive enough for a studio (because they run kilometers/miles of cabling in big studio's). And acoustics is the main cost and influencal factor in a good studio, and in lesser degree the right gear (not counting the skills of the engineer in this, as that is by far the most important). Cabling should just work there, and the cheaper they can make it work the better.

But basicly, use the right size multistrande OFC (oxygen free copper) cable (no CCA aka copper cladded aluminium cable), and even that OF (oxigen free) of OFC is mainly for durability of the cable, not for sound. And for connectors, all good connectors are good, gold plated helps to avoid corrosion, but is certainly not mandatory. Neutrik and Switchcraft are sure shots on that but others may also be good. You can braid it (it can help a bit to filter noise, but not that much) and put a fancy sleeve on it, but for short interconnects that is certainly not needed.

kiwifi

For my most recent balanced cables I sourced components from AliExpress.
Digizulu cable (148A) plus gold plated XLR connectors (Neutric style)

Top Bottom