Search results

1. radix

compressor schematic/design for guitar

I'd like to build a compressor for bass guitar. I'm thinking of doing a JFET variable resistor and opamp design. Does anyone have a favorite compressor design or schematic for electric guitar or bass? Yes, I know I can buy some for $25, but I'd like to tinker.
  2. radix

Bass guitar preamp

I need a preamp for my bass guitar. I have to return my Line6 StompXL box and wait for the RMA. I was using that to up-convert to line level. So I need instrument level to line level (about 33dB gain, as measured on the input of a Motu ultralite mk5). Here's a little circuit I think will do...
  3. radix

Multitrack recording s/w for mac for long live recording

I need to video a presentation, and I'd like to record the audio on my laptop via usb off a motu ultralite-mk5. I'd like to keep all the mics (3-4 of them for the speaker, the room, question mic) on their own channels and mix it down later in Davinci. What software could handle recording for...
  4. radix

bass guitar speaker cabinet

I'm in the market for a small-ish bass guitar amp. Given the prices, it seems like I could get an SB driver (e.g. SB34SWPL-76-4 12" or SB34SWNRX-S75) and a 100-150W (at 4ohm) class D amp and have a pretty flat 35 - 2kHz system, especially if it's a DSP amp. I use a dsp modeling pedal (line 6...
  5. radix

How to measure the response of a mic?

I recently assembled a microphone-parts.com mic (the S3-12). I would like to measure it's response and sensitivity. I have a UMIK-2. My plan was to set these up next to each other and record both in REW and see how the S3-12. I have some KH80&KH750 that I was planning to use, likely from the...
  6. radix

Frank Zappa estate sale

There's a lot of Zappa studio and hifi gear up for auction. It includes an Accuphase, several Bryston, and a lot of studio effects, keyboards, racks, monitors, etc. https://www.liveauctioneers.com/search/?keyword=zappa
  7. radix

Tesla video about their audio engineering

Just came across this. It's not very detailed, but does show they use an anechoic chamber for testing, DSP software in the entertainment center, and various measurement techniques and engineering for speaker placement. It was a bit cheesy the last scene, ripping off Spinal Tap.
  8. radix

Interesting video about dynamics

I stumbled across this video by a recording engineer where he talks about dynamics and compression and his experiences with classical music. It's part 3 of 3 about vinyl vs digital, and I've not seen parts 1 or 2, but 3 was pretty good. He also makes available several records of the super-wide...
  9. radix

Dark side of the moon redux

Did you listen to it? What did you think? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon_Redux It didn't do it for me. I felt like I was suffering through a Leonard Cohen cover. The original had both momentum and pathos. Water's version is a bit turgid.
  10. radix

Video on making your own tubes and tube amp

jdflyback on youtube has a few videos about making their own tubes and using them in very DIY amps. It looks like there are a few others who have posted about making their own vacuum tubes. This is pretty fun to watch.
  11. radix

Old amp crackling noise problem when turned on

I have a McIntosh MC2205. It started making a crackling noise in the R channel on power on that lasts for about 20-30 seconds, then is gone. It is most prone to do this when cold. Sometimes it barley (if at all) does it. Is this likely a capacitor problem, or the relays? Once it warms up...
  12. radix

McIntosh C30 preamp measurements

EDIT: The LF/HF Filter button was engaged, which caused the bass and treble rolloff. I'm making new measurements of the multitone and gain/THD vs frequency. I just picked up a 1-owner McIntosh C30 (1985-87). I believe this was their first preamp to use transistor switching instead of relays...
  13. radix

McIntosh ML1c / ML10c / Eq'd speakers

I'm looking for some vintage/retro speakers and wondered if anyone has experience using the ML-1c or ML-10c (with the required equalizer)? It was fun reading about them and the McIntosh equalizer history. http://www.roger-russell.com/ml10dpg.htm and http://www.roger-russell.com/ml1cpg.htm...
  14. radix

Retro speaker recommendations?

Hello, I'm putting together a vintage McIntosh stack for a casual listening space. Why? I've always wanted it and want to do it while I can. The components are mc2205, c30, mr74, B&O turntable, volumio rpi4 streamer. I'm looking for speaker recommendations for it. I'd prefer something that...
  15. radix

mic and mic preamp question

I'd like to get ASR's take on a couple questions. I'm setting up a small home studio for my own use (male vocals, midi + daw, guitar). I am looking at mics right now. First, it seems a lot of people are shilling dedicated mic preamps as the "best upgrade to your mic." Are mic preamps somewhat...
  16. radix

SVS PC-2000/4000 measurements?

Does anyone have measurements for the PC-2000 or PC-4000, even just in-room REW? I have floorspace limitations and the 16" cylinder sub is pretty attractive for the space. I'm looking to fill in some nulls in the 30-80 Hz range and maybe a little bass extension under 25 Hz where my F228be...
  17. radix

Looking for rear speaker amp with auto-on

I'm trying to decide between Genelec G2 or G3 or a separate amp plus smaller satellites (e.g. Gallo A'diva) for HT surrounds. Does anyone have a suggestion for, say, a 50-100 wpc amp with good auto-on/standby? It would be driven by an RCA wireless transceiver, so 12V trigger is not easy unless...
  18. radix

Couch against wall rear HT speaker suggestions

I have a couch up against a wall about 2.8m from the tv. I'm looking for suggestions for rear surrounds. There is not much space to the left and right of the couch (maybe 30-40cm) before the room opens up to other areas. The rest of the system is a Denon 6700 plus R3/R2C plus two subs. I...
  19. radix

Multiroom Spotify through Roon

I was looking for a way to have multiform playback from Spotify. I have a minidsp SHD and a Naim Mu-so, both "roon ready". What I found is the Roon extension manager and the Entrypoints extensions. What these do is setup a Spotify Connect endpoint that turns the Spotify stream into a live...
  20. radix

Quick review of Naim mu-so wood edition (2nd gen)

I received a Naim mu-so 2nd gen (wood edition) today. Below are REW measurements at the main LP (7.5', ~2.3m) and 20* left of the LP. The measurements are with a UMIK-2. I find the sound pretty good for an all-in-one speaker. It has plenty of volume for my dining room (about 160 sq ft, 14.8...
Top Bottom