Search results

1. luft262

Breakup/Crackling When Using Wavelet?

On some songs when using Wavelet I hear a crackling or breaking up that doesn't occur if I turn it off. Is this just due to the EQ pushing the headphones into distortion or is there something I'm missing? I'm using Sundara headphones connected to JDS Atom Amp/DAC connected to android phone via...
  2. luft262

How much slope over house curve/frequency response curve do you prefer?

I see various preferences as far as house curves and preferred frequency response curves in room, using REW (usually) and I'm wondering what slope or lack thereof most people prefer? Thanks for your input.
  3. luft262

Do You EQ Speakers Above About 500Hz?

I'm curious if people are using EQ at the higher frequencies where speakers dominate the response instead of the room. Or are they cutting the EQ (automatic or manual) off at the lower frequencies. I've heard mixed things about whether or not it's good to EQ at higher frequencies unless the...
  4. luft262

REW vs Spinorama

Hypothetical question, but if a person had some random, OK speakers, say some random Klipsch standmounts or something, that had kind of poor spinoramas. They used automatic EQ, say Dirac or Audyssey and afterwards took some REW measurements and found the speakers to be pretty flat with good...
  5. luft262

Center Channel Design Vs Spinorama Data

From reading online here and watching YouTube videos such as Erin's Audio Corner I have learned that center channel speakers should ideally use a coaxial or a 3 way design for better horizontal dispersion. Some people even use a bookshelf as their center channel. They make it sound like the...
  6. luft262

Revel C263 vs Revel C363 In Ceiling Speakers and 5.2 vs 5.2.2

I have a 5.2 setup. My current speakers are Focal Aria 926 L/R, Aria 900cc Center, SVS SB 3000 x2 subs, and Acoustic Audio CSic82 Cinema Series In Ceiling 2-Way Speakers x 2 for surrounds. I'm contemplating replacing the generic surround sound speakers with either the Revel C263 or Revel C363...
  7. luft262

Should Spinoramas from Manufacturers be Trusted?

Should we trust spinorama data from a manufacturer? For example, Amir has measured the Ascend Acoustics Horizon Center and the manufacturer has also posted a spinorama. These can be see at the below links...
  8. luft262

Speaker Dependant Frequency Threshold

I'm reading that frequencies below 400 to 500Hz are room dependent and above that they are speaker dependent. 1. Is that true? 2. Does that mean a speaker should measure roughly the same above 500Hz regardless of the room it's playing in? 3. Does that mean my left and right speakers should...
  9. luft262

Apple Spacial Audio Questions

I'm currently trying out Apple Music primarily for the spacial audio. Over headphones I have not been super impressed. At least not enough to continue with the service. I'm contemplating getting an Apple TV streaming device so I can play spacial audio over my 5.1 surround sound system via my...
  10. luft262

Preference score for headphones?

Is there a site with a preference score table for headphones similar to spinorama.org for speakers? Where headphones can be arranged in order of preference score etc.
  11. luft262

Sensitivity and Dynamic Range

Will a more sensitive speaker simply be able to play louder with a given amplifier or will it have greater dynamic range or even some other benefit other than total volume that I'm not understanding? Thanks!
  12. luft262

How To Best Use Spinorama Data?

How should a person best use the spinorama data to optimize their speakers? Obviously, it can be used to purchase the most accurate speakers affordable, but what about after the fact? Since the audio is speaker dependant above about 500Hz and room dependent below about 500Hz, should a person...
  13. luft262

How To Play Apple Dolby Atmos Music Over AVR

Is there a way to play Apple Spacial Audio Dolby Atmos music over an AVR without using an Apple TV Device?
  14. luft262

Reflections off tables

How important are reflections off the table or surface the speaker is sitting on? For example, my left and right speakers are 9.5 feet from my listening position. If I want my center channel to also be 9 feet away it has to sit at the back of the coffee table, but I worry that the 6 or so inches...
  15. luft262

Why did the review index remove the preference score with a subwoofer?

Why did the review index remove the preference score with a subwoofer? I feel like that preference score was important because lots of people do choose to listen with a sub whether for stereo music or home video and entertainment. A lot of speakers will get a better score due to being able to...
  16. luft262

Center Channel vs Back Wall Placement

My center channel speaker is rear ported. My home theater speakers are crossed over with the subs at 120Hz. I know that's high, but it gives me the best curve as measured with a UMIK-1. Should I worry about how close my center channel is to the rear wall due to the rear porting? Thanks for...
  17. luft262

The Case Against OLED

The Case Against OLED First of all, let's just get out of the way that OLED is better quality than LED or QLED. The problem with OLED isn't with quality, but with price. I would like to look at some examples of potential TV buyers and see where OLED makes sense and where does consumer logic...
  18. luft262

AKG 371 Equivalent of Open Backed Headphones?

The AKG 371 closed backed headphones measure incredibly well, especially for the price. They mirror the Harmon Curve and have low distortion. What is the best example of some open backed headphones like that? The HiFiMan Sundaras come to mind. Are there other or better examples of inexpensive...
  19. luft262

Reference Volume: Not Fully Understanding It...

So I often see on AVRs, AMPs, etc. a reference volume reading. For example, it might say -16dB for the volume. As you go up it approaches 0 and as you go down it becomes increasingly lower than "reference". I can understand that THX reference is something like 85dB with peaks of 105dB for...
  20. luft262

Best Case Headphone AMP SINAD vs 50 Millivolt SINAD?

Can someone please explain to me why when reading headphone amp reviews there are two SINAD charts and what the difference is? Typically one is "best case" and the other is at 50 millivolts and shows a lower SINAD. For example you might see one like this: And another like this: What is the...
Top Bottom