• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How To Play Apple Dolby Atmos Music Over AVR

luft262

Is there a way to play Apple Spacial Audio Dolby Atmos music over an AVR without using an Apple TV Device?

Tom C

Major Contributor
Just to clarify, are you wanting to avoid Apple TV sepecifically? Or avoid all Apple devices? For example, I’ve made it work with a Mac mini. I would think an Apple laptop would also work. Never tried to make an iOS device do Atmos.

OP
luft262

luft262

It's not so much that I want to avoid them as I don't own any Apple devices. The last time I looked into it you had to have an Apple TV device hooked up to your AVR to get Atmos music from Apple Music via an AVR to surround sound system. I picked up Apple Music (free month) on my Android phone. The spacial sound isn't that impressive, IMHO, over headphones. I'd like to try it over my 5.1 system, but I'm not sure if it's worth buying a whole $150 Apple TV device that I'd have no other use for just to try it out. I guess if that's the only way to do it I can. If I don't like it I can just sell it or something, but I was hoping there was a way to do it from my phone or something.

Tom C

Major Contributor
F67F1F68-FB0B-49C1-BDBB-F873B88FD463.png

OP
luft262

luft262

I'll try it again, but my understanding is that it won't output Atmos to an AVR from a phone, but thanks.

Tom C

Major Contributor
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but did you use an adapter/hdmi connection?

OP
luft262

luft262

Yeah. USB to HDMI. Just does stereo. I'll keep playing with it. Thank you for your help!

Monstieur

Apple TV is the only way to bitstream E-AC-3 Atmos to an AVR. The next closest thing you can do is play 2-channel Atmos for Headphones from iOS / macOS to an AVR and upmix it with Dolby Surround Upmixer. iOS / macOS downmixes the E-AC-3 Atmos track using Atmos for Headphones, and the AVR upmixes it again using DSU. This produces better surround than upmixing the plain stereo track, but is obviously inferior to bitstreaming E-AC-3 directly from Apple TV.

middlemarch

Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure macOS will do this from a laptop with HDMI out. At least an Apple laptop. But the ATV is definitely the better value

Monstieur

I'm pretty sure macOS will do this from a laptop with HDMI out. At least an Apple laptop. But the ATV is definitely the better value
Not anymore. Bitstreaming functionality is not preset in the Music app and has been removed from the QuickTime player as well.

Top Bottom