Search results

1. M

Topping DX7 Pro+ Review (DAC & HP Amp)

I found a review that compares the dx7pro to other products and even listens to them all. It also talks about the hidden configuration options which can be used to optimize performance! https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/topping-dx7-pro-review-their-best-all-in-one-yet/
  2. M

Topping DX7 Pro+ Review (DAC & HP Amp)

I came here after ShenzhenAudio alerted me to the review. In 15 pages of comments, nobody commented on Amir's thought that the current to voltage conversion had been improved to reach SOTA SNAD. BINGO! Peak delta-sigma DAC chip technology was reached a few years ago while the analog...
  3. M

PS Audio PowerPlant 12 Review (AC Regenerator)

Very incomplete review. What are the measured output impedances of your lab supply, the PS Audio device, and your wall vs. load? Your test data looks to be under ZERO load. Using an Agilent or other electronic AC load, what is the performance as load increases statically, and with dynamic load...
  4. M

How to Fix ESS Hump on SGD1 and LA-QXD1

http://twistedpearaudio.com/landing.aspx has been doing ESS DIY DAC etc. components for years.
  5. M

How to Fix ESS Hump on SGD1 and LA-QXD1

Great work Ben! I just read this fantastic thread after getting an email from the site, so catching up. So, the cause of the IMD humps with ESS DACs is a DAC setting in software? Filter calculations not matching reality? DAC chip output specs not matching reality so filter calculations off...
  6. M

Class d keeps improving

Global feedback is new, however.
  7. M

Class d keeps improving

Global NFB is in DACs now. I forget where I saw it though. I think there is already local NFB inside some DAC chips.
  8. M

Class d keeps improving

Wow, global negative feedback, just like my 28 year old, 760 wpc (@8Ohms), 120db S/N, Crown Macro Reference. Global NFB on my amp gives it high damping factor even at high frequencies.
  9. M

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Is there a way to ask Gustard some technical questions? Can you forward some? 1. Are they using SiC or soft recovery hyper FREDs in the power supply bridges yet? Replacing their generic diodes to soft recovery FREDs made a huge improvement in my X-20. These reduce diode switching noise, much...
  10. M

Recommendation for MOST DETAILED, ANALYTICAL, X-RAY - 3D HOLOGRAPHIC DAC available?

Distortion from vibration is a real thing. Ever hear of tube microphonics? Capacitor microphonics? 30 some years ago everyone in the room experienced an improvement during a double blind test of putting a cd player on an air suspension table (designed for laser optics because vibration matters...
  11. M

Recommendation for MOST DETAILED, ANALYTICAL, X-RAY - 3D HOLOGRAPHIC DAC available?

I started modifying amps, preamps, CD players, DACs, tuners, and speaker crossovers since around 1985, after hearing the improvement made to my Hafler DH-500 by Musical Concepts. I do own an oscilloscope, capacitor, and multimeters, and had access to a electronic bridge for testing capacitor DA...
  12. M

When doing modifications to gear, I'd say less then 40%. There is no ego to it. It is just experimentation. More often, I'd make several changes at once out of convenience and wouldn't be sure which changes made what difference. If I were a manufacturer voicing a component, modifying other...
  13. M

Wow, that was tedious reading. What I claim is that if I can hear a difference between two items under test, sighted, then I can identify them blind. If I can't tell the difference sighted, then it's not worth all the trouble to compare blind, and certainly won't provide any better results.
  14. M

In that case, you need to do it triple blind rather than just double blind.
  15. M

I hope you find sex more engaging and are not multitasking then too.
  16. M

Yeah, that would exclude amplifier LF damping factor and output impedance characteristics. Electrostats are generally a capacitive load unlike dynamic speakers which are mostly resistive loads. Hence they tested performance just on an uncommon type of speaker.
  17. M

I could pass a blind test easily on a high resolution system. I find it a waste of time and effort for the most part because differences are so obvious, and if they are not obvious, then I choose the component based on other factors like functionality and price. I'm not going to waste any more...
  18. M

Wow, amazing how mid-fi preamp and source make anything after it sound much the same, much like testing while wearing earplugs. Folks, Garbage in - Garbage out as we said in the computer field. This should be instructive as a cause of audionervosa - without a low noise, high resolution source...
  19. M

Well, I wanted test gear which would tell me why piano attack sounds different on to examples of DAC, or why the soundstage sounds different. Perhaps a zoomed in graph of DAC output voltage when fed only the least significant bits of data or other way to compare resolution of different DACs...
Top Bottom