Search results

1. Pdxwayne

Bait and switch issue? [POLL]

Let's assume this statement is 100% correct: Transparent DAC and HPA (as measured by Amir) should all sound the same. Since joining ASR more than 1.5 years ago, I have purchased 5 DAC and 4 HPA (for features and different usages), all measured as transparent and recommended by Amir. My...
  2. Pdxwayne

It is really worth it for me to buy Dr Toole's Sound Reproduction book?

Hi All, First of all, I want to make it clear that I like Dr Toole's posts in ASR. However, I wonder, other than showing my appreciation to him by buying his book, will I really gain more musical enjoyments after reading his book and implement something I didn't do yet. So, for those...
  3. Pdxwayne

Preference curve for speakers and headphones....I still don't get it....

I have been listening to music mostly with recommended headphones (ak371 and he400se) for the last couple months. This is one song that I like because it is kind of funny: With k371, the cymbals are noticeable and sounded sharp. With he400se, the cymbals sounded even sharper, with bites...
  4. Pdxwayne

DAC and amp combos did not give same clues when running online blind tests. Why? What would be the desired clue?

When running online blind timing tests yesterday, I heard different clues when using multiple combination of dac and amps. I wonder why. I thought, as long as I am using transparent DAC and amp, I can mix and match them and any combo will sound the same. But not this case. Is it okay? More...
  5. Pdxwayne

Timing test results - a poll

The simple 2 ways timing online blind test is here: https://www.audiocheck.net/blindtests_timing_2w.php?time=100 I tried a while back using smartphone and could do 10/10 for 10ms. Lower was tougher for me. The site does not show the statistics of all those who tried. So I am curious how ASR...
  6. Pdxwayne

I feel bass difference between headphone amps. How to check phase mismatch?

Before measurements, I sensed bass difference between Topping L30 and SMSL HO200. L30 seems "cleaner" than HO200 in bass "feels". After voltage matched, I still feel the same. Voltage matched done: *Matched amp's left channel within 0.001V. *Made sure left and right channel balance of each...
  7. Pdxwayne

I measured voltages of 3 different headphone amps using test tones. Topping L30 is acting strange with 60hz tone. OK or not?

I have the following on hand to compare: Topping L30 Sabaj A10h SMSL HO200 Before I did any measurements, I did listening comparisons first. With my AKG371, my impression was that, often L30 sounded slightly "thin" in bass (like low bass guitar tones in music) as compared to the other amps...
  8. Pdxwayne

Is this the correct way to figure out headphone amp channel balance difference in dB?

Chain is laptop to Topping E30 to SMSL HO200. SMSL volume setting is MID. Headphones used to set volume level is AKG K371. First I play songs using headphones and determine a good volume level. Next, at that volume level, I played 240hz tone and measured with multi meter. Left channel...
  9. Pdxwayne

Should I assume Sabaj a10h, Topping L30, and Smsl HO200 would sound the same driving HD560s?

Those three amps all measured fine and recommended by Amir. Should I assume that all three would sound the same driving HD560s? Thanks!
  10. Pdxwayne

Poll: Is it reasonable to dismiss significant ABX result (p value of ~0.005) based on randomness of success pattern?

Let's say that there is one very difficult abx test out that so far no one can pass with a significant p value. You decided to try it out and indeed it is very difficult. You tried +80 times and got enough success to get a highly significant p value of ~0.005. You present your results and...
  11. Pdxwayne

Klippel distortion tests (two-tone 70hz 800hz tests). Where do you fit, as compared to +8680 participants?

My recent thread showed that we have members with a range of hearing sensitivity. Many can easily hear a difference, but some could not. I am now curious about ASR members hearing sensitivity as compared to larger pool of participants (over 8680 participants for this particular test). I note...
  12. Pdxwayne

Can you hear a difference? 250hz and 1250hz playing at same time, but 1250 Hz is at 60db down. Vs pure 250hz tone.

I was able to hear a difference using AKG 371, but not easy at all. Got abx results of 8/8. Then one member said "everyone" can hear a difference. I asked the member to give abx result but I got none. The other member chimed in to support the first member and basically said science already...
  13. Pdxwayne

Correct way to connect amp ground to RCA shield?

Edit: see post 2 for update. I asked the question in Sabaj a10h thread, but I think maybe this will get more attentions. I noticed that using Sabaj a10h as preamp increases the hum noise from my speakers. Chain is Node2i Coax to Gustard x16. Gustard x16 RCA to Sabaj a10h. A10h RCA to...
  14. Pdxwayne

Both DAC are transparent as measures by Amir, why one not as clean sounding as the other?

All, Before you start typing words like "brain", "imagination", please save your energy. I won't response to such replies. I have done multiple online blind tests, done multiple ABX tests, and a coupe of DAC vs DAC double blind tests. So, please save the lectures about voltage match...
  15. Pdxwayne

Tracking my listening tests

I am using this to track my listening test results as posted in other threads. Online blind tests using my Samsung Note 9 with headphone. 0.5db - pass 0.2db - can't do up 5c pitch - pass 2 ways, 10ms - pass Screenshots in...
  16. Pdxwayne

When did you decide to study STEM major in university? Tips for my daughter?

My daughter is junior in high school and she can't really decide if STEM major in university would be a good fit for her. She already did many online self assessment things and talk to counselor, etc. She even took some online introductory classes for programming, etc. She did just fine, but...
  17. Pdxwayne

Harmonics of DAC + Amp, cumulative?

Let's say when playing 1Khz tone at 0db, the DAC's second harmonic is at -90db. Let's say an amp is measured to have second harmonic of -90db too. When playing 1Khz test tone into such DAC and then to such amp, what kind of second harmonic would be outputted to the speakers? Assuming -140db...
  18. Pdxwayne

Choices of eq+cossover device that is as good as direct DAC to amp?

I am looking for a room eq+crossover device that I can placed between my DAC and amps, but as transparent as direct DAC to amp. In Amir's thread for PS Audio PerfectWave DirectStream, he said: ...... Next I played some of my bass heaving tracks i use for headphone testing. Here, it was easy to...
  19. Pdxwayne

High pass at 450 Hz, perceived harshness from around 8khz reduced??

I found a certain vocal recordings irritate me more than others. See my thread at https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/certain-vocals-irritate-me-anyway-to-reduce-the-irritation-via-eq.22715/post-755786 The first video in my other thread irritated me the most when using...
  20. Pdxwayne

Combine small and large speakers into hybrid 3 ways? Good or bad idea?

I have two distinct setups in my living room. One is 2.1, with bookshelf and sub, just for my stereo listening. The other is 3.0, with floorstander as the mains, mostly for my family members watching YouTube videos. What I have found is that the bookshelf speakers have much better details than...
Top Bottom