Search results

1. M

Electrical cable as speaker cable

Quick question, I have lots of meters of electrical cable from my house renovations, which has stranded 100% copper, 4mm2 in diameter, 50 strands aprox. Granted, the jacket is not uber flexible, but... would it work properly as speaker cable? Specially on longer runs (5 to 10 meters)...
  2. M

Would a voltage transformer (220v to 110v) degrade performance?

Hi, Straight up question... Would a voltage transformer from 220volts to 110volts degrade audio performance of a receiver or preamp/processor? Why I ask? I live in a 220volt country, where receivers and preamps are utterly expensive. It's cheaper for me to just import from USA... Most of USA...
  3. M

Line Level Converters... any measurements?

Hi, I would like to know if "line level converters" (that is the kind of device that converts your amplified output to an unamplified one so it can be fed to an external AMP or to the ADC of a DSP, typically used in car audio) affects negatively to audio quality. What kind of perfromance you...
  4. M

Surround and Atmos speakers - couch against back wall.

Hi, This is is a typical speaker location question, but NOT in your typical huge "US home" room. My TV room is quite small: 2,50m (W) x 4,00m (L) x 2,45m (H), all concrete, with one door and one window. Room will be partially treated, with some absorbers and diffusers on wall. The problem...
  5. M

MOTU Ultralite mk3 Hybrid

Hi, Does anyone have any experience with the MOTU Ultralite Hybrid mk3? The mk5 is nowhere to be seeing, and my alternatives the FR 18i20 2nd and the MOTU mk3 Hybrid. The latter seems to fit better my requirements to use it as 8+ channel DAC for a HT: -. 10 channel output -. You can even...
  6. M

Difference between LFE and Bass Management

Hi, From THIS VIDEO Charles Sprinkle mentions they are using 2 subwoofers NOT for bass management but for LFE. I kind of know that LFE is a special channel for "Low Frequency Effects" meaning a 5.1/7.1 soundtrack will have an LFE mono channel for effects below 120Hz (per Dolby standard?)...
  7. M

Aboslute best CHEAP DIY speaker

Hi! Looking for a cheap and good DIY speaker design. I don't care if it's available as kit or not. The idea is builidng 5 of the same and pair them with one subwoofer for one "el cheapo" 5.1 home theater setup (the receiver is an old ONKYO 313). Some EQ will be available thru EQ APO, as I...
  8. M

Line level converters > Measurement request to @amirm

Hi to all, Does line level converters (yeah, the cheap ones under USD$10) affect the sound quality? I.E. if I have an AVR without pre amplified outputs, can I just use line level converters on all the speaker outputs to get preamp outs and then feed external amps? Also, I know ADC are the...
  9. M

Any love for RCF Ayra PRO line?

Hi, I just recently discovered RCF launched a new line of studio monitors named Ayra Pro (there was an Ayra line, but it's oldish). It comes in 5", 6" and 8" woofer sizes, all thre complemented with a waveguide loaded 1" dome tweeter. Spec and pricewise they are very similar to KALI, JBL...
  10. M

Please help me clear some questions >> multichannel DAC for HT use.

Hi, I recently sold my receiver and started experimenting with an HDMI 8 channel DAC to DSP and then to amplifiers. Results were very satisfactory but I might be getting some SQ loses in the duplicate ADC - DAC conversion as I've got the DIGITAL to ANALOG from the HDMI DAC, and then again the...
  11. M

HDMI to 8 channel DAC

Hi, I've got my hands on a GefenTV HDMI to HDMI Plus audio converter, which is an HDMI audio extractor with 8 channel RCA output, so It is essentially a DAC. I was really surprised with the sound quality, and compared to my Behringer U-phoria 204HD, my 100% subjective opinion is that the both...
Top Bottom