Search results for query: vintage

1. amirm

Tice Power Conductor 2 Vintage AC Cable Review

This is a review, teardown and measurements of the Tice Power Conductor 2 vintage AC power cable. It is on kind loan form a member (cost unknown): While the terminations are beefy, no self-respecting high-end audiophile would want to be near a cable looking like it was left over from Radio...
  2. amirm

Kenwood L-05M Vintage Amplifier Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Kenwood L-05M circa 1978-1981 monoblock amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member. The L-05M has a timeless design and looks like a modern amplifier you could buy today. It weighs just enough to make you feel like it is substantial but not...
  3. amirm

JBL SA600 Vintage Amplifier Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the JBL SA600 vintage (1966) stereo amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member. The classic look endures the test of time. It is more usable and stylish than many amps of today. Inputs though, are oddly placed underneath the unit: Prices for...
  4. amirm

Technics SB-F1 Review (Vintage Speaker)

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Technics SB-F1 mini vintage bookshelf speaker. It is on kind loan from a member: SB-F1 was produced in Japan around 1978. It has a stout, diecast aluminum frame. I understand it was quite expensive for its time despite its diminutive size. I...
  5. amirm

Sony Tapecorder 101 Review (Vintage Reel to Reel)

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Sony Tapecorder Model 101 vintage Reel to Reel tape recorder. My brother found it for me at a Goodwill store. The 101 was released in 1959 and retailed for 29,800 Japanese Yen (today's conversion and adjusted for inflation: $2,377). I must stay...
  6. amirm

Carver M-1.5t Review (Vintage Amp)

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Carver M-1.5t vintage stereo amplifier. It was kindly sent to me by a member. The M-1.5t came in an era where rack mounting meant serious business. As a Carver (receiver) owner myself, I remember all the advertising for the M-1.5t. Oddly...
  7. amirm

Apt Holman Preamplifier Review (vintage Audio)

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Apt Holman vintage preamplifier. It is on kind loan from a member and has been refurbished by QuirkAudio. The look is a cross between hifi and pro gear: Other than some scratches on top, the unit is a very good cosmetic shape. Rear...
  8. amirm

Aragon 2004 MK II Review (Vintage Amplifier)

This is a review and detailed measurements of a "vintage" (1990) Aragon 2004 MKII stereo amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member. I like the v-shaped design to set it apart from countless other boxes. Speaking of boxes, this thing is massive. It was designed to house the double power...
  9. amirm

Marantz PM-90 Review (Vintage Amplifier)

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Marantz PM-90 Vintage stereo integrated amplifier. It was purchased by a member from japan and drop shipped to me for testing. It came out in 1991 with a price of 160,000 Yen (about $1,500 in today's exchange rate). I looked online and I can...
  10. amirm

The New Advent Loudspeaker Review (Vintage Speaker)

This is a review and detailed measurements of the "The New Advent Loudspeaker" vintage speaker, circa 1977. The sample under test was kindly provided by our own @Dennis Murphy. He has looked it over and replaced a crossover capacitor to make sure it has the value it originally had. The woofer...
  11. amirm

Realistic 42-2101A Review (Vintage Phono Stage)

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Realistic (Radio Shack) model 42-2101A phono preamplifier. It is on kind loan from a member and originally cost US $20 but I now I see a used one on ebay for $35. The 42-2101 has the basic look of a lot of Radio Shack audio products: The...
  12. amirm

Denon DA-500 Vintage R2R DAC Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the vintage (?) Denon DA-500 DAC. It was kindly purchased by a member on the used market and drop shipped to me. Interest was to find historic products with something cool about them. In this case, it is the "alpha" processing in the DA-500 which...
  13. amirm

Advent Model 300 Vintage Receiver Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Advent Model 300 Vintage Receiver. It is on kind loan from a member. I believe it came out in 1970s. The original cost was US $270. That would be $1,300 if adjusted for inflation. I love the tuner knob on the 300, reminding me of what you...
  14. amirm

NAD 2200 Vintage Amplifier Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of a refurbished and upgraded NAD 2200 stereo amplifier. It was bought by a member, sent to QuirkAudio to be fully updated and then loaned to me. The work that Peter has done is exemplary. The inside looks brand new! I have repaired hundreds of...
  15. amirm

Yamaha A-1 Vintage Amplifier Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Yamaha A-1 vintage integrated amplifier. It is on kind loan from a member. He tells me that it has been serviced and restored a couple of years ago. The Yamaha A-1 came out in 1977 during a competition to produce the best spec audio products...
  16. amirm

Good video on Electronic Spray Cleaner/Vintage Electronics

Nice video on usage of common spray cleaners for fixing mechanical switches, volume controls, etc. in vintage electronics. Even if you are not into those, it is a good watch on differences between these products. I can't tell you how many pieces of electronic and otherwise I have fixed using...
Top Bottom