• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A quest for the perfect cable

Cavia

I've always thought that a good cable should be at least
1) decently shielded,
2) not too long,
3) with a correct impedance for your application.

Man, if I was wrong... A good cable has to be pricey.
And after years of hi-fi fairs, I was finally able to discover a candidate perfect (read most expensive) cable.
I shall kneel in front of the mighty MAGNUS OPUS Speaker Cable (from Transparent Cables).
https://www.transparentcable.com/collections/magnum-opus/products/magnum-opus-speaker-cable
1602272423107.png

This 'masterpiece' of technology starts at $65,000.00 for a single speaker. I mean, imagine if you had two speakers in your set... Luckily I devoted my life to Mono, so I feel lucky for once. I heard that the improvement you get with these cables is definitely Transparent... grade.

But I'm sure you guys know way better than me. Please help by posting better cables than MOSC, or maybe just honorable mentions :)
The only favor I ask you is to post a link where your favorite cable's price is officially visible (you know, just to keep this quest within the realm of reality).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Robin L

Master Contributor
Define "perfect". These were a little under $25, shipped. 6" long, good connectors. Perfect enough for my purposes:
814Gqpjw-QL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

OP
Cavia

Cavia

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember seeing a teardown once. IIRC the Transparent Audio cables had a Zobel network inside. Or maybe it was just an inductor. Something the materials value of which is calculated in the single digits in any case.

A bake in the bag, whole chicken in £3.50 from Tesco in the UK. I don't think I have any shrink-wrap big enough to fit it.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Exactly! And in case of any doubts, please consider the evidence ;)
View attachment 86943
You know, if you got a matchbook with an ad for an art school (or comic arts school) that said "Draw an audiophile" on it... that's the guy you'd draw.
You might put a ponytail on him, though, I guess.

I mean, I sort of look like that -- but not quite as bald, and not as pudgy (at least, not any more).
But my cables are all cheap (mostly home-made).

A bake in the bag, whole chicken in £3.50 from Tesco in the UK. I don't think I have any shrink-wrap big enough to fit it.
One will definitely want it hermetically sealed -- unless the cables are gonna be on really short rotation in one's home hifi system.

Top Bottom