• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TV Sales Dying?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I realise that. They may be marketed as 'LED TVs', but they do not include LED panels. Referring to them as LED TVs is technically incorrect and not very ASR.

ASR is about using measurements to ascertain truth about sound. It's not about being pedantic about vocabulary. An LED TV has an LCD in front of an array of LEDs. The LEDs make the light. The LCD filters them. A CRT isn't called a phosphorescent screen. Language is how people use words, irregardless of what you feel is correct.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ASR is about using measurements to ascertain truth about sound. It's not about being pedantic about vocabulary. An LED TV has an LCD in front of an array of LEDs. The LEDs make the light. The LCD filters them. A CRT isn't called a phosphorescent screen. Language is how people use words, irregardless of what you feel is correct.

You were making a direct comparison between two types of screen technology. I think that using the correct terms to describe those technologies is important.

I understand the difference between emissive and non-emissive display technologies. Your description of an LED TV is incomplete, not all LED TVs have full array backlights, many are lit from the edge which enables the TVs to be much shallower. Full array backlights are generally used to provide local dimming capability to increase dynamic range (i.e to gain HDR certification).

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
It's ironic at a time when huge budget and mega production TV series are everywhere, productions that would grace any cinema folks are consuming it more and more on their phones and tablets.

Humans continue to baffle and amaze.

Robin L

Master Contributor
My wife got 47" worth of Panasonic LED TV ten years ago, set her back about $500. She watches a lot of Mysteries, streams almost everything. Pretty good image quality, though every time we go to Costco we see something better on the way in. I'd be enticed if I regularly watched TV.

I managed to find a 26" Toshiba LED display for $14.20 [tax included] from a thrift store last month. It's 720 dpi, which is enough from the other side of the bedroom. I've been watching Criterion reissues of classics from the public library. The Toshiba image is more than good enough for black and white, but always a little overjuiced with color. "Hidden Fortress" looks awesome.

Thing is, there's a growing inventory of used televisions of all sorts, with low-cost flat panel TVs in stores like Target and high-cost high-tech TVs at Costco. While it's true that more folks watch shows on computers and smartphones, it's also true that the market is flooded.

Last edited:

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I could not justify such an extravagance unless it came on four wheels.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's ironic at a time when huge budget and mega production TV series are everywhere, productions that would grace any cinema folks are consuming it more and more on their phones and tablets.

I take your point, but 65” OLEDs can be brought home at a very reasonable price and good big screens are ubiquitous. A decade ago, that size and picture quality was barely imaginable, yet now you can live stream 4K content at our leisure.

matt3421

I would never want to watch serious content on a small screen. Larger screens reduce eye strain and nothing beats the picture quality of my LG C9 OLED

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Who wants to calculate the equivalent screen size of a tablet held close to the face Vs a TV on the other side of the room? Crap headphones from a tablet are better than the built in sound in most TVs. It's not for me but I'm not convinced it's worse.

I always watch TV on a TV, with the sound over my main hifi, it's nearly all streamed these days.

ta240

Major Contributor
Who wants to calculate the equivalent screen size of a tablet held close to the face Vs a TV on the other side of the room? Crap headphones from a tablet are better than the built in sound in most TVs. It's not for me but I'm not convinced it's worse.

I always watch TV on a TV, with the sound over my main hifi, it's nearly all streamed these days.

I don't know if the end effect is the same; the equivalent size may be there but the impact and feel may not be. Imagine a wall sized mural vs an 8x10 picture of it held close to your face.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if the end effect is the same; the equivalent size may be there but the impact and feel may not be. Imagine a wall sized mural vs an 8x10 picture of it held close to your face.
That's how I see it, the brain knows the difference between small, and far away. But maybe many people don't care, especially if they mainly watch shows where people talk, and not things go boom.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's how I see it, the brain knows the difference between small, and far away. But maybe many people don't care, especially if they mainly watch shows where people talk, and not things go boom.
Yes, we can intellectualize the difference, but the brain also has a remarkable ability to adapt. An iPad and good headphones are a priceless combination when flying, and can provide an immersive experience once you settle in.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Yes, we can intellectualize the difference, but the brain also has a remarkable ability to adapt. An iPad and good headphones are a priceless combination when flying, and can provide an immersive experience once you settle in.
Saw Ken Burns "Country" mostly on a Kindle Fire 8 attached to Sennheiser HD 599 'phones. Got the job done.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
consider two components to sales:
1. straight across replacement of dead units
2. buying a new TV which is much better than the currently owned one

2 - will decline towards zero as consumers approach satisfaction (unless ads can convince them to be dis-satisfied with a perfectly good 4k TV... sound familiar?)

1 - depends on demographics; in an aging population it's growth will be negative

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I fly American quite a bit and watch movies on my iPhone 10s Max and Plantronics BackBeat Pro 2 noise cancelling headphones. They do the trick but it’s nothing like watching them on my 85” Dolby Vision TV with 7.2 surround sound.

Martin

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
consider two components to sales:
1. straight across replacement of dead units
2. buying a new TV which is much better than the currently owned one

2 - will decline towards zero as consumers approach satisfaction (unless ads can convince them to be dis-satisfied with a perfectly good 4k TV... sound familiar?)

1 - depends on demographics; in an aging population it's growth will be negative

I think 2 is going to keep happening, though demographics will affect it. You're right. 8k and beyond matter on extremely large screens. If a wall can be made into a screen, we can even interact with the screen in new ways, requiring higher resolutions or many seamless panels. A veldt-like room is inevitable.

We had a 46 inch 1080p TV, bought in 2008, until about 3 years ago. 9 years of ownership. Then we went to 55" 1080p OLED. The OLED is not only noticeably larger, it's significantly better for colors and viewing angles. It's also curved, but that's just because it was the bargain model of the day.

So the real question is, when will I upgrade next? Well, like you said, if the screen fails, I'll upgrade. When 8k 85" OLEDs or equivalent reach the $1-2k range, I might jump in again. So at this rate, 2026?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I've a computer monitor in rear of my video room. I can line it up with my 110 inch projector screen. Sitting at the table with the computer it is 10-15% larger in angular terms than the projector. Dell Ultrasharp so pretty good contrast and color. It is all twixes and round-a-bouts.

I'm old enough my glasses have to help with up close vision. At the best viewing distance, my projector fills enough of my vision not all of it is finely focused due to my glasses along the lower edge. I obtained a 2nd set of glasses with all the correction except for close up vision. I can focus across the room and the projector picture is much nicer this way and so much easier to follow action when the whole screen is in focus.

My computer monitor is a little close for total focus. It can have pretty good immersive qualities though never quite as good as the big real screen. I can pair my projector prescription with some cheap 1.25 diopter reading glasses and get everything nice on the computer monitor. But that is a hassle and I usually don't bother with that. It helps that in the case of my monitor I am using the full surround sound of my home theater.

So I need the impossible. My eyes need to be 21 years old again, or I need a 120" Dell Ultrasharp monitor for $400. For that matter both would be nice.

Top Bottom