• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UK Post Office Horizon Accounting Software Scandal

TonyJZX

Major Contributor

this is hot in the press right now and although it is in another country to me and to many of you guys, the issues seen here seem to be pretty prevalent in many countries.

Its an over reliance on computer systems to provide judgement on human behavior... it's actually even more than that... its a bloody minded use of technology as a cudgel to punish or enforce judgements on people even though you have non computer indicators that shows the computer is incorrect

and then it comes down to.... we know we have imperfect machines but for a slew of selfish reasons we do not investigate beyond the judgement of the machines we use... because we cannot imagine how a machine can be wrong

this is not uncommon... I heard that the Netherlands and Australia had used software to levy false government debts on people... and in a similar vein, people knew the debts were false but went ahead with serving these debts anyway

an in a similar end result, people died as a result of being unable to service these false debts

i have spent decades in the information technology trades and have sometimes used technology in such a way too... when there's been some kind of fraud or malfeasance on a network then i have been asked to provide evidence

i am wondering where this is going to head because in the case of the Dutch I beleive some politicans fell on their swords but they were hired back afterwards

in australia the royal commission is ongoing but it seems the main architects will largely not see punishment... people are reluctant to prosecute outgoing politicans given that they too may someday be under scrutiny...

best that there is qualified immunity... not too great if it was your relatives affected

nerdstrike

"Too expensive to fix the software" was stated at some point early on. That right there is wrong in several ways.

Makes me think of SLS, and the 737 Max 8...

Top Bottom