• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Unpopular Opinions in Music

Pareto Pragmatic

^Love me some bagpipes✊
Bagpipes rule!!!!

Bagpipes are also very useful for psychological warfare against neighbors. So that's a twofer in my book.

The band Yes, which is so acclaimed and influential for many musicians. I won't say hate, but if Yes was a plate food, after one bite I would be ordering pizza.

Rick63

OK I'll say it: outside a few songs, Pink Floyd doesn't do much for me.

I also strongly agree on Yes. ^^

Last edited:

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
I think everyone has a band or album that is "the best" that they just don't like. I'd like to hear about it. Tell me what you hate. And let's keep it fun, no being a jerk. People hate what they hate.

I'll start.

Pet Sounds is absolute overrated garbage. Wouldn't it be Nice is an amazing song, and Sloop John B is the best version of a song written by someone else, but the rest is a travesty against humanity. God Only Knows makes me want to go to church, and I don't do that. Maybe it would sound better with expensive cables...
i agree that i think this is a great idea for a thread. sharing all these facets of the hobby that brings us all together, that may even be the most important thing in our lives, apart from family, feels really important. i hope this thread gets some traction! my two cents:

1. i totally agree about pet sounds. those couple songs excepted, i think everyone is pretending that they like it because of what a feat it was for brian wilson to accomplish.

2. i genuinely do not understand why people like taylor swift. to my ears, she is a banal, insipid, immature narcissist. i want to understand what people hear in her, but i genuinely do not get it!

Barrelhouse Solly

Because before electricity, the only projection was a trained voice. Go to an auditorium full of people sometime, stand on stage and make yourself understood to the whole audience. It's definitely not easy!

Jim
I've done it. I've sung in a 1200 seat theater with no amplification. There are a variety of different ways to project that don't involve operatic timbre. 2 examples of professional singers who could fill a large space without using classical performance practice, Ethel Merman and blues singer Joe Turner.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've done it. I've sung in a 1200 seat theater with no amplification. There are a variety of different ways to project that don't involve operatic timbre. 2 examples of professional singers who could fill a large space without using classical performance practice, Ethel Merman and blues singer Joe Turner.
I have, as well, but never with any people in it. :oops:

That's so cool you've done it, for real!

OP
G

Ghostofmerlin

Forum Donor
Bagpipes rule!!!!

Bagpipes are also very useful for psychological warfare against neighbors. So that's a twofer in my book.

The band Yes, which is so acclaimed and influential for many musicians. I won't say hate, but if Yes was a plate food, after one bite I would be ordering pizza.
I had a college friend that would break out the bagpipes and kilt at the end of the evening when it was time for everyone to go home. :D

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You would not believe some of the outfits at the SF ballet. I think it was opening night or whatever - I had a blazer on and I was among the worst dressed. It was flat-out tuxedoes and ball gowns everywhere. Never seen anything like it. Made most weddings look like the crowd at a monster truck rally.

And you were sitting there eating potato chips and texting on your phone, wondering why you got all those strange looks.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Taylor Swift of course. It seems like she never has a song where she sings a complete melody. It's more like one staccato eight syllable burst piled on top of another. It's almost like some kiss off rant where her next line is always something like "and another thing" and then she just goes right into spitting it out, and then the next, and the next.....like snake venom.

And the other one for me is Billy Joel. I say this even though I really like some of his big hits. It's just that they all seem like lounge-lizard, closing-time, sing-alongs rather than real songs.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Most (popular) music before 1990.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
The thing I don't understand is that when a Hip-Hop/Rap Artist tells a story in a song but there life doesn't match that story, nobody cares. When a country artist does the same thing because are like "I don't like that song because he lives in a mansion while singing songs about being poor". There is many hip hop artists that talk about killing people, doing/selling dope, gang banging, but don't do any to most of that, and people still bat an eye.

Another opinion is that I think Remixes rhythm-matching songs suck. I don't mind songs that use decade-specific themes (Like Synthwave) and people singing songs from other artists (Ex: The Ataris - Boys Of The Summer). I really hate when people remix 80s songs and add all this junk just to make it "modern", its like Restomods but for songs. Some "Remixes" use the same instruments and everything but place there own low IQ lyrics on top of it. Another kind of Remix I hate, is those "Collage" songs that tear apart and poke holes in songs just make something new out of it, its similar to those bowls made from vinyl records.

3rd opinion is Modern Bass. Good modern bass usually is deep, decent loudness, good frequency shifting for feel and hearing. However most modern bass is usually tuned at the 70-80hz range and just sounds horrible. Another trick they do is making an illusion that you have deep bass, sometimes this is mixed with actual bass. The "Loudness Wars" is still ongoing but this just the new topping that goes on top of it. Today its easy to get gear that sounds good with bass, so I don't know why were tuning music like everybody has 1980s grade home audio.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
That's a subject, but what's the unpopular opinion?

A degree of disdain for same (edit: meaning pre-90s popular music, an unpopular opinion here surely?) from me. Music from the time before bass is relatively unsatisfying.

As for Roger Waters, hopefully disliking him these days would be an increasingly popular thing, but I may be an optimist.

Last edited:

gwing

Forum Donor
Today its easy to get gear that sounds good with bass, so I don't know why were tuning music like everybody has 1980s grade home audio.
Yes easy to get, but I've actually taken the sub out of my system. Not because it wasn't good and wasn't a benefit when instruments played low but I couldn't stand the random artificial bass contributing nothing to the tune but simply polluting a lot of music these days. Taking the sub away doesn't fix the problem completely of course but reduces the hurt done to otherwise OK music.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Not because it wasn't good and wasn't a benefit when instruments played low but I couldn't stand the random artificial bass contributing nothing to the tune but simply polluting a lot of music these days.
Artificial Bass? You mean the bass added during the mastering?

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
I do like Pet Sounds, but it's not like I want to listen to it often... Compared to Smile and some of Brian's later "experiments", it holds up pretty well...

I'm always re-impressed when I listen to Good Vibrations. He kinda nailed that one.

I can't abide rap or modern country...those are my bugaboos...
yes, there are a couple of singles on there that really stand out from the rest of the album!

Soria Moria

Classic Rock just makes me nauseous. . . couple of songs on the new Stones record not-withstanding.
"Hotel California" was a cool song for perhaps the first six hundred and sixty six times I heard it.
I lived thru the 1970s once, I don't need to go back.
When I hear 'classic rock' these days I just think of buttrock. I had a part-time job where I had protective headphones that had a built-in radio on them so I got to listen to a rock radio station through most of my work days. They really just played the same 70s/80s/90s hits all over again. "Here is Iron Maiden's 'Run to the Hills' for the 15th time today!". I really wonder if those radio hosts wanted to jump out of their office windows from having to listen to the same buttrock hits over and over again.

Top Bottom