• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Celebrity RIP Thread

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Dan Wallin, Oscar-Nominated and Emmy-Winning Music Mixer, Dies at 97

"Dan Wallin, the music scoring engineer who recorded such classic film scores as “Spartacus,” “Bullitt,” “The Wild Bunch” and “Out of Africa,” died early Wednesday in Hawaii. He was 97.

Twice Oscar-nominated for best sound (1970’s “Woodstock” and 1976’s “A Star Is Born”), he won a 2009 Emmy for sound mixing on the Academy Awards telecast and received two additional Emmy nominations in the sound mixing category (1992’s “Citizen Cohn,” 1996’s “Gotti”).

But it was Wallin’s skill behind the console, recording and mixing musical scores for movies and TV, that won him legions of fans among nearly all of Hollywood’s top composers and ensured steady employment for more than half a century.

He recorded the music for an estimated 500 films, including those for “Bonnie and Clyde,” “Cool Hand Luke” and “Finian’s Rainbow” in the 1960s; “The Way We Were,” “Blazing Saddles,” “Nashville,” “King Kong” and “Saturday Night Fever” in the 1970s; “Somewhere in Time,” “The Right Stuff” and “Prizzi’s Honor” in the 1980s; “The Fugitive,” “Waiting to Exhale” and “The Insider” in the 1990s; and “Far From Heaven,” “Seabiscuit” and “Rocky Balboa” in the 2000s.

His television credits were equally stellar, including multiple Emmy winners “Roots,” “Eleanor and Franklin,” “The Day After,” “Lonesome Dove” and “Lost.”"

RIP to an industry giant whose work most of us have heard. :cool:

wallin.jpg

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Admittedly, I generally really dislike most pro sports. Baseball died for me back in the day of the infamous Strike. I was still a kid, then. Growing up in a quaint Midwestern "town." One with a baseball team that Whitey took to the World Series and won, along with a couple other pennants.
He deserves a nod.

rgpit

Forum Donor

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
RIP Dickey. His 2001 album Let's Get Together is one of my under-appreciated favorites. This appropriately-titled tune shows why:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TonyJZX

Major Contributor

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mortality, the hardest problem of them all.
One of the leading researchers into consciousness. Saw a recent interview he did, he looked really bad, had sores on his head. Have to wonder if it was a result of some sort of chemotherapy or injuries he sustained, but, in any case, he looked like he had been through a war. RIP.

Multicore

Major Contributor
People don't read enough philosophy these days.
I agree. I think philosophy is far too important to leave it to academics.

Well, it helps when it actually makes sense. And is rooted in scientific evidence as Dennett's work was ...
For example. Or even in common sense. See above...

Top Bottom