• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AVR vs Stereo pre-amp (x6700h v. C658)

habb1

Hi all,
I’m interested to understand how Denon AVR-x6700h receiver would stand against stereo pre-amp NAD C658 - for listening 2.0 music (in terms of sound)?
Looking at measurements technically the receiver had better measurements than NAD.
I’m not sure what other aspects to take here in order to evaluate this, hope to hear your insights on this.

For the sake of discussion, would be interesting to hear how lets say minidsp shd would stand against x6800h/x6700h receiver (purely in listening 2.0 music), of course minidsp has better measurements, though are they audible compared to the receiver?

I’m planning to buy x6800h and thinking if that could cover my overall needs for some time. Hope the full measurement review of new amp would be equal or better than 6700h. I do also have C298 power amp for main speakers.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all,
I’m interested to understand how Denon AVR-x6700h receiver would stand against stereo pre-amp NAD C658 - for listening 2.0 music (in terms of sound)?
Looking at measurements technically the receiver had better measurements than NAD.
I’m not sure what other aspects to take here in order to evaluate this, hope to hear your insights on this.

For the sake of discussion, would be interesting to hear how lets say minidsp shd would stand against x6800h/x6700h receiver (purely in listening 2.0 music), of course minidsp has better measurements, though are they audible compared to the receiver?

I’m planning to buy x6800h and thinking if that could cover my overall needs for some time. Hope the full measurement review of new amp would be equal or better than 6700h. I do also have C298 power amp for main speakers.
As many well qualified experts in the related field have suggested before, that people should focus on speakers and rooms instead of preamps and amps. That's not to say preamps and amps don't matter, they surely do, but when you get to the levels of the two mentioned, they are not the bottleneck, unless you already of the very accurate speakers (such as the likes of the Revel Salon2) and got the room sorted, the difference people reported between the likes of that Denon and NAD were almost for sure not due to the electronics themselves but other factors, one being not done in DBT (many would used their wives opinions, that's hilarious though).

Based on specs and measurements for the SR8015 and the AVR-X6700H, I would be very comfortable using the X6800H with external amps and bet that if Amir ever got to measure it, or the Cinema 30, the results will be as good as their predecessors, if not slightly better. Non believers will say things like you can't base it on measurements such as ASR's, but their don't have any logical arguments for trusting their ears/brains, whereas their are plenty of logic to say decisions based on ASR's measurements is probably as good as it gets, unless there are better ways presented, with supporting data.

popej

IMHO it is not about pre/amp but about DRC used. Results will not only depend on DSP computing power and algorithms but on mic used, measurement places, applied curves etc. You could get different sound with the same hardware.

As for DBT, maybe on could compare acoustical recordings? Binaural?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IMHO it is not about pre/amp but about DRC used. Results will not only depend on DSP computing power and algorithms but on mic used, measurement places, applied curves etc. You could get different sound with the same hardware.

As for DBT, maybe on could compare acoustical recordings? Binaural?

Agreed, he said "purely in listening 2.0 music" and he also referred to the one being compared, the NAD C658 as " stereo pre-amp NAD C658. So I assume he meant no DSP used, but I should not have assumed. If DSP is used in some way, then I would suggest he do a bunch of subjective measurements, or provide more information on what/how DSPs will be used, and go from there...

OP
H

habb1

In both cases I was thinking to use Dirac for Room Correction and play straight through the receiver/preamp.

Regarding the speakers, I’ve not so long upgraded to Elac FS 409 and have no plans to change/upgrade. Room - also putting up some acoustic panels.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In both cases I was thinking to use Dirac for Room Correction and play straight through the receiver/preamp.

Regarding the speakers, I’ve not so long upgraded to Elac FS 409 and have no plans to change/upgrade Room also putting up some acoustic panels.
If that's the only DSP function used, my comments would still apply, that is, either one will be as good as anything else regardless what the subjective hearsay claims, unless back up with credible data.

Top Bottom