• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E70 Velvet or Fiio K9 AKM?

Taltalon

Hi All,
I am looking for a AKM4499EX DAC (or a DAC+AMP).
I already have Topping A30 Pro headphones AMP which I got recently.
The K9 AKM is about $100-150$ more expensive than the E70 Velvet (DAC Only).
the K9 PRO AKM is way beyond my budget. so I skip it.

My headphone is Sennheiser HD 800 S

Which one to buy?
Thanks
Tal

staticV3

Master Contributor
The less expensive one.

No reason to pay extra for the FiiO's built-in Headphone Amp if you're planning on using an external one anyway.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an A30 Pro (actually 3 of them) and also an E70 velvet, D70 Octo, and an E50 DAC. I highly recommend saving big money and get an E50 with XLR to 1/4inch cables. You'll never notice the difference.

OP
T

Taltalon

I have an A30 Pro (actually 3 of them) and also an E70 velvet, D70 Octo, and an E50 DAC. I highly recommend saving big money and get an E50 with XLR to 1/4inch cables. You'll never notice the differe

OP
T

Taltalon

Will the E70 Velvet work fine with my A30 Pro?
is there any benefit in the Fiio 9 AKM as it has its own THX integrated amp? if I already have the A30 pro I should Ignore the Fiio 9 AKM?
I am currently using my A30 Pro using XLRs with Topping EX5 (dual ESS DACs) - it sounds great yet I understand that the E70 Velvet has warmer sound due to the AKM DAC.

many thanks.
tal

JSmith

Master Contributor
I understand that the E70 Velvet has warmer sound due to the AKM DAC
Hi, welcome to ASR. :)

Sorry, but that would be a false understanding. With respect, forget all and any subjective comments regarding DAC's... simply rely on the measurements. You are referring to DAC's that have well over 110dB SINAD... there will be no difference whatsoever. DAC's have been a solved "problem" for a long time, so unless the DAC measures very poorly and is basically broken, most will be performant.

Here at ASR (thanks to @amirm) we have a database of DAC reviews, so please use the review and review index sections;

If you have any questions about specific reviews, please post and members will assist.

JSmith

OP
T

Taltalon

Thanks JSmith,
So you are saying this AKM4499EX "Velvet" audio is basically marketing? I wont notice the difference vs my Fiio K7 (x2 AKM4493), Topping EX5 (x2 ES9038Q2M) ?
If you are certain - I wont spend the $500... so far I am pleased by my entry level DACs. Even the Zen DAC v2 in GTO Filter firmware sounds fine to me (dont kill me...).

I did notice that the EX5 has bright analytic sound vs the K7 for example. Other DAC Dongles I have (iBasso DC04Pro, DC06Pro, Fiio KA5, KA13) sounds brighter and more open than the EX5 and K7. I do notice the K7 has "deeper" bass which I cannot explain why.
is this all in my mind? Can it be that SINAD figures/ratings does not represent real live listening experience?

Many thanks,
Tal

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Thanks JSmith
No problems.
So you are saying this AKM4499EX "Velvet" audio is basically marketing?
Yes... there is little difference between E70 and E70 "Velvet". These devices are basically hitting the limit of the analyzer itself;
I wont notice the difference vs my Fiio K7 (x2 AKM4493), Topping EX5 (x2 ES9038Q2M) ?
As DAC's, no;
is this all in my mind?
Something all humans are unable to avoid. However how did you make these comparisons? One needs to be quite careful when doing so, level matched, no peeking etc. Otherwise it is very possible to hear a difference when there is none.
Can it be that SINAD figures/ratings does not represent real live listening experience?
No, as the testing done here isn't just SINAD... like multitone for example. The testing equipment used here (APx555) can measure many times better than anything we can hear.

JSmith

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will the E70 Velvet work fine with my A30 Pro?
is there any benefit in the Fiio 9 AKM as it has its own THX integrated amp? if I already have the A30 pro I should Ignore the Fiio 9 AKM?
I am currently using my A30 Pro using XLRs with Topping EX5 (dual ESS DACs) - it sounds great yet I understand that the E70 Velvet has warmer sound due to the AKM DAC.

many thanks.
tal
Hey,
Yes but the only difference I've ever been able to hear is filters which have an early treble rolloff. Even then most start way higher than I can hear. Also most music doesn't exist in the 15khz+ range. It works great, I tested it with an A30 Pro for a day. I just can't stress how good the E50 sounds with a clean source of power if your USB ports are noise (like the hub on a monitor, wouldn't use that). It's a really expensive lesson for people to learn about DACs. If it was me I'd get the E50 and a Sine Wave power supply/battery backup to plug it all into before putting it all into the E70 velvet for the same price. I have those so I really did that :)

OP
T

Taltalon

No problems.

Yes... there is little difference between E70 and E70 "Velvet". These devices are basically hitting the limit of the analyzer itself;

As DAC's, no;

Something all humans are unable to avoid. However how did you make these comparisons? One needs to be quite careful when doing so, level matched, no peeking etc. Otherwise it is very possible to hear a difference when there is none.

No, as the testing done here isn't just SINAD... like multitone for example. The testing equipment used here (APx555) can measure many times better than anything we can hear.

JSmith
Hmmm... Regarding this one - "However how did you make these comparisons? "
Well I just listen to the same content at the volume levels on multiple DAC-AMPs using bit perfect audio players (Audirvana).
I do not over sample, or do any weird stuff. Simple playback.
You can hear it that the K7 has deeper punchier bass than other DAC-AMPs I have here.
You can hear that AKM based DACAMPs I have here are less bright than others and more "lush" if to call it. I don't have dedicated DACs, all I are DAC Headphone AMPs and Dongles (which are also AMPs). So why own a $1000 DAC if you cannot hear the difference vs a $200 or $400 device. Guess I am too naive.
If I will get the E70 Velvet it would be my first dedicated DAC that will be connected to the A30 Pro.

Many thanks for helping out.
Tal

JSmith

Master Contributor
So why own a $1000 DAC if you cannot hear the difference vs a $200 or $400 device.
Features, functionality, build quality, aesthetics... etc.
Guess I am too naive.
No you're not, don't take normal human biases personally.
If I will get the E70 Velvet it would be my first dedicated DAC that will be connected to the A30 Pro.
I'm not saying don't get it if you want to, just don't expect a "my wife could hear the difference from the other room" change in the sound.

JSmith

Sutorman

Hi All,
I am looking for a AKM4499EX DAC (or a DAC+AMP).
I already have Topping A30 Pro headphones AMP which I got recently.
The K9 AKM is about $100-150$ more expensive than the E70 Velvet (DAC Only).
the K9 PRO AKM is way beyond my budget. so I skip it.

My headphone is Sennheiser HD 800 S

Which one to buy?
Thanks
Tal

I just recently swapped from the Schiit Modi+ and A30Pro to the FIIO K9 (AKM), and I must say that I like the sound of the FIIO. I also liked the sound on the Modi and A30Pro, but I wanted an AIO unit to help clean up my workspace that also sounded "good," could easily drive my headphones (560S, 6XX, 177X... all relatively easy to drive) with some headroom, and additional features like a PRE out (XLR and RCA) for powered speakers and Bluetooth. The FIIO checked all the boxes with the added bonus of having outstanding build quality!

If you're still on the fence and it has the features/functionality you're looking for, it's a great option.

Features, functionality, build quality, aesthetics... etc.

No you're not, don't take normal human biases personally.

I'm not saying don't get it if you want to, just don't expect a "my wife could hear the difference from the other room" change in the sound.

JSmith

First time posting in this forum, but I've been lurking on ASR for >6 months (probably close to a year actually), and I have come across your name (and others) who regularly give me a sanity check. It's easy to get caught up in the hype of "reviewers" when considering DACs, amps, etc., and coming here and reading these comments helps me remove subjectivity when considering a purchase. Created an account a couple of days ago just to say, thanks.

JSmith

Master Contributor
First time posting in this forum, but I've been lurking on ASR for >6 months (probably close to a year actually), and I have come across your name (and others) who regularly give me a sanity check. It's easy to get caught up in the hype of "reviewers" when considering DACs, amps, etc., and coming here and reading these comments helps me remove subjectivity when considering a purchase. Created an account a couple of days ago just to say, thanks.
Well thank you and welcome to ASR. It's nice to know members posts on these subjects are well noted by others, cheers. :)

JSmith

b7676

Alternatives to E70V are su-9 ultra, and the old D90.
The flagship AK has a memorable relaxed ease much more mature than the 4493.

Last edited:
Top Bottom