• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Sennheiser HD490 Pro

Noodles

The point of this model is to sound pretty good overall and checking nearly all the boxes for me/many others I guess.
There are also very good DACs using basic chips like for example in RME ADI-2 series -> the implementation is as important as the driver. And also the measurements from from solderdude show pretty low distortion and extension. What else do you want from a new driver? Ah yes, I would also like it to brew fresh coffee...
I'll take that coffee since you are offering :)
But yes, these seem like a decent replacement for a HD650/560S pair... not exactly for a 600 though. At 360/480 for a pair it's not exactly cheap either.
@solderdude are the pair that arrived built in Germany ... asking to see if i can swallow the price increase over the 560S with that justification :rolleyes: ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
If you add bass with the equalizer, will distortion on the HD 490 PRO start at about the same level as on the HD 560 S?

Why is it different: Max. rated power: HD 560S = 0.2 W, and HD 490 PRO = 0.3?

And yet, the manufacturer claims about ventilation.
I wonder which model gets more air into the ear? 560 or 490
HD 490 Pro has slightly less distortion in the bass. Chances are the difference in rear porting may have something to do with that.

0.3W was actually specified. The 0.2W listed on my site is (as you can see) estimated by me as Sennheiser did not specify this.
The info I got was that it was rated at at least 100mW and passed a 24h test at that level without breaking.
I thought 100mW rating was too low given the other drivers Sennheiser makes so I kept it at 0.2W.
Acc. to the HD490 Pro it can handle 0.3W but does not state if that is average or peak power.

Both models go equally loud. The only reason the HD490Pro is 2dB louder is because of the velour pads which leak a little less below 1kHz (the warm tilt)
The specs by Sennheiser (105dB/V) are incorrect. I measured it 110dB but do not look at 400Hz or 1kHz only but overall level.

I was a bit hyped until I realised HD490 uses the same drivers as many existing lower end models, but at 2+ times the price.
can't say the new design is particularly good looking, so not sure what is the point of this new model.
All I can say is the HD490 Pro looks and feels sturdy and is much, much more comfortable than HD560S and HD660S2.
I do find the price a bit steep but is still cheaper than HD650 and perhaps the street price might drop over the years.
This new model is aimed at professional usage and not sold by the consumer section.
I don't think these will be coming out in the consumer line.

I do think the enclosure will scuff and scratch much more easily than the HD6xx range. (HD560S also scuffs quickly)

are the pair that arrived built in Germany

Built in Romania (just like the HD58X) and a few other models

Last edited:

Alchemist_

HD 490 Pro has slightly less distortion in the bass. Chances are the difference in rear porting may have something to do with that.
Is this difference noticeable by ear? Or is it visible only through measurements?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Inaudible.
Velourspads sound a bit 'soft' in the bass, the fabric pads sound 'tight'. HD560S is in between them.
Those are more audible aspects than distortion even at somewhat loud levels.

Alchemist_

Inaudible.
Velourspads sound a bit 'soft' in the bass, the fabric pads sound 'tight'. HD560S is in between them.
Those are more audible aspects than distortion even at somewhat loud levels.
Is it possible to loosen the clamp on the 560s to the level of the 490s?

Which ones are hotter? 560/490

PuX

There are also very good DACs using basic chips like for example in RME ADI-2 series -> the implementation is as important as the driver. And also the measurements from from solderdude show pretty low distortion and extension. What else do you want from a new driver?
none of that logic works for headphones. the sound is mainly based on the driver quality. sure, enclosure and pads make a difference, but drivers are the most important part, you want a better headphone -> you look for a better driver.
and you can have the same drivers in HD560S.
and I believe solderdude said the treble quality on 660S2 is better? that's a different, higher end driver.

All I can say is the HD490 Pro looks and feels sturdy and is much, much more comfortable than HD560S and HD660S2.
nice to know that it has at least the comfort advantage.

I do find the price a bit steep but is still cheaper than HD650 and perhaps the street price might drop over the years.
are they cheaper though? maybe depending on the market they are, but on US amazon HD650 are $314, on drop HD6XX are $200.
and HD660S2 were sold for $400 recently, seems like it was a temporary deal.
HD560S obvious is even cheaper at $168 on ebay.
HD58X are $149.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Is it possible to loosen the clamp on the 560s to the level of the 490s?

Which ones are hotter? 560/490
Old HD560S is 'hotter' than HD490Pro (mixing) but in a different way.
The newer ones are more similar but the HD490Pro feels more dynamic.
With producer pads the HD490 Pro is warmer/fuller sounding and prefer the bass from the HD560S over the producer pads.

Comfort on the HD490 Pro is much higher.
I had bent the headband but after a while it slowly goes back to a higher clamping force.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
are they cheaper though? maybe depending on the market they are, but on US amazon HD650 are $314, on drop HD6XX are $200.
and HD660S2 were sold for $400 recently, seems like it was a temporary deal.
I was looking at official Sennheiser MSRP pricing (in Europe) and not at deals from sellers and drop versions :)
Usually after some time you can find any model cheaper (maybe with the exception of HD800 versions).

Reactions: PuX

Dreamic

Not trying to nitpick but just want to say I find this interesting, I can basically forget I'm wearing my HD560S. The clamping force is a bit out of the box, which is surely better than being loose, after that it's just the soft pads and headband making contact, lightweight. Makes me curious how anything could be much better

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Try a HD800 and you'll know... :)

HD560S/HD599 etc are comfortable (and weigh 30 gram less) but the HD490PRO is still comfier.
Lower clamping force, easier to position correctly and the soft velour with memory foam is almost disappearing on the head (though feels a bit warmer).
The fabric pads are less warm feeling but because of the shape (for both pads) the already low clamping force is distributed over a larger surface area on the skin.
The HD560S have a smaller surface area and higher clamping force.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not trying to nitpick but just want to say I find this interesting, I can basically forget I'm wearing my HD560S. The clamping force is a bit out of the box, which is surely better than being loose, after that it's just the soft pads and headband making contact, lightweight. Makes me curious how anything could be much better

As far as I'm concerned the main issue that I have with the HD560S' design (or any member of the HD5... series) is that the ear cups don't have enough range of motion front / back and up / down because of the yoke design. Pressure around my ears is uneven and they barely seem to seal at the bottom rear quadrant of my ears. Now if they had enough range of motion, I'd possibly be even more annoyed at the outgrowth at the rear of the ear cup :D.

The HD 490 Pro's yoke / ear cup design should provide more range of motion for a start - but that's entirely feasible that I'll still find the design objectionable one way or another.

uwotm8

15 Cyan = Edition XS, green = HD 490 Pro.png
I don't trust people who call magenta cyan

usern

Old HD560S is 'hotter' than HD490Pro (mixing) but in a different way.
The newer ones are more similar but the HD490Pro feels more dynamic.
With producer pads the HD490 Pro is warmer/fuller sounding and prefer the bass from the HD560S over the producer pads.

I had bent the headband but after a while it slowly goes back to a higher clamping force.
I think the question was, which one has better airflow, has cooler temperature for ears

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Darn did it again.... Have to redo that one now and another one as well.
Thanks for catching this.

Fixed them.... thanks for the heads-up... appreciated.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I think the question was, which one has better airflow, has cooler temperature for ears
There is no airflow in either headphone.
The fabric pads feel the 'coolest', followed by the velour of the HD560S despite having a smaller surface area touching the skin and the velour ones of the HD490PRO feel the warmest (a bit like ear-warmers)

staticV3

Master Contributor
There is no airflow in either headphone.
There is in a way, just via natural convection.

Rtings tests this with a heated HATS and a thermal camera:

It'll be interesting to see how the HD490 compares to the rest, though I don't think that rtings will test both pads.

Top Bottom