• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X6800H now released.

Moonbase

...and front wides

...and Audyssey if not planning to use Dirac

...and directional bass

Can the Onkyo detatch its power amps to improve pre-out performance?
The Onkyo and pioneer seam to have their issues and not sure pre-outs are a way forward, unless then can do 5volts?
I would say the Denon 4800 hits the sweet spot

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
Learnt from last time, I wouldn't even trust Denon customer support, let alone a dealer or an audio outlet. It needs to come from Masimo's higher up, such as a product manager like Oliver Kriete, or wait till someone take one apart for photo ID. Until then, we are going to hear different things that are based on people's guesses/speculations/hearsay.

The newest product, launch a little before the X6800H, the DRA-900H has the PCM1690 (this is official, will post a block diagram later if I can find it), so that could be a possibility too, as the DRA-800H and NR1200 uses the AK4458 too before the switch to TI's PCM1690 dac chip. The PCM1690 was also used before they switched to the AKM chips. That's just an example of many possibilities, not even an eduated guess.

If it is the AK4458, a lot of people will be happy, but if it is, you would think that Masimo would have been broadcasting it like the did last time when they switched from the PCM1690, so I do have a little doubt, though still hopeful.

Found the DAC info for the DRA-900H that was launched just a little ahead of (or behind) the X6800H iirc:

Note that both the PCM1960 (has 48 pins) and the AK4458 (has 48 pins) are 8 channel DAC ICs, and both have been used in previous generation Denon and Marantz AVRs, obviously.

I only mention the DRA-900H because it's predecessor used the AK4458 as well before, before the shortage, and then the PCM5102A during the shortage, so there may be a trend going on with this.

Keep in mind most people probably don't believe there will be audible difference between those DAC chips, though the AK4458 will definitely help with higher SINAD numbers on the bench as it simply has much better SINAD spec by itself so it won't become the bottleneck in the signal path.

View attachment 344064
Yeah. I wasn't sure what to think as it was just one of those service reps. . Like you pointed out, they would have likely broadcast it. I dont think my research skills are that great because I couldn't find any real information or even basic review. Maybe it's just too new. I am interested in finding out now for my own curiosity. I also learned more about the boards of the avrs and how they are set up and how the signal path works ..to some extent.

Tanquen

Wow! How did you hide all the wires?
I just used a few of these:
Recessed Low Voltage Cable Plate

Keeps stuff fairly clean.

The TV is just on the other side of the wall.
1705958307587.png

Tanquen

Anyone know how to change the input source type? In the App I'd rather they all default to the speaker layout rather than the media player controls that don't do anything.

OP
M

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone know how to change the input source type? In the App I'd rather they all default to the speaker layout rather than the media player controls that don't do anything.

Ok, so since you have your AVR in another room I guess the input selector knob and remote are not so easy to use, hence why you ask about the app.

Are you using the "Denon AVR Remote" app?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dmholdings.DenonAVRRemote&hl=en&gl=US

If so, when you tap on the input name you get a list to select from. Note that you can rename the inputs and can hide the ones that you don't use.

1000025188.jpg

1000025189.jpg

Hope it helps.

Tanquen

Ok, so since you have your AVR in another room I guess the input selector knob and remote are not so easy to use, hence why you ask about the app.

Are you using the "Denon AVR Remote" app?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dmholdings.DenonAVRRemote&hl=en&gl=US

If so, when you tap on the input name you get a list to select from. Note that you can rename the inputs and can hide the ones that you don't use.

View attachment 344272

View attachment 344273

Hope it helps.
I have done that before. I know you can hide them and rename them but can you change their input type? Even if just in the app. Some of the inputs, show a default screen of media player buttons. I'd rather they all just default to the speaker layout. You know like they show the Xbox controller icon for the two inputs that are now game 1 and game 2. I don't really care about the icons but I would like the default screen in the app to be the speaker layout.

For the remote, I still have an old pronto pro that still hanging in there with a radio to infrared transmitter receiver, that covers all the equipment and the other room. It's too bad they've gone completely out of favor. Even Logitech gotten out of the business. It's nice having a touch screen with physical buttons.

OP
M

-Matt-

Sorry, I'm not quite getting it. Not sure what you mean about the media player buttons? A screenshot might help. Are we even discussing the same app?

Anyway, perhaps the type is linked to the default naming for each HDMI port on the back panel? I.e. the "Game" input always has a controller icon, etc.

Which input is giving you the media controls? Could it be the HEOS one?

Last edited:

Tanquen

You know, like pause and play button on the main screen for that input. They just assume that you want media player buttons. I've never gone through them all before but it seems it's only with the Blu-ray input and I guess I could just move it to another input but was just wondering if you can change the app to not do that?
1706029205487.png

OP
M

-Matt-

I've not seen that before. I notice that this is for your Oppo player. I wonder if this is something to do with CEC control over HDMI (which I usually disable)?

Could make sense as a way of allowing you to control the Oppo player > via HDMI from the Denon AVR > via the App?

Do you still get the controls if you turn off CEC control?

They call it "HDMI Control" in the manual linked above (page 145).

Tanquen

I've not seen that before. I notice that this is for your Oppo player. I wonder if this is something to do with CEC control over HDMI (which I usually disable)?

Could make sense as a way of allowing you to control the Oppo player > via HDMI from the Denon AVR > via the App?

Do you still get the controls if you turn off CEC control?

They call it HDMI control in the manual linked above (page 145).
That's worth a try. But this screenshot is from the 6800 that's sitting on my desk and not even connected to anything yet. On the 6500 it doesn't do it for my actual dedicated Panasonic Blu-ray player. I'll try another port when I actually swap out the AVRs at some point. But I don't think it matters what's actually plugged in.

OP
M

-Matt-

Hmm, just tested it on my X8500 and I do see those media buttons on the blu-ray input (so not CEC related). If you don't want those buttons I guess you should avoid that port.

Not sure what is different about the blu-ray input or what protocol those command buttons are supposed to use.

Edit: It is mentioned on page 18 of the manual:
1000025196.jpg

Last edited:

Tanquen

Hmm, just tested it on my X8500 and I do see those media buttons on the blu-ray input (so not CEC related). If you don't want those buttons I guess you should avoid that port.

Not sure what is different about the blu-ray input or what protocol those command buttons are supposed to use.
Yeah, it's a nice idea and I remember seeing that when I first got the 6500 but they didn't work and even if they did, I don't think I would ever use them as the app is just too slow, clunky and the old pronto pro has everything on it. Who wants to jump around all different apps on their phone even if you have one for each your devices?

OP
M

-Matt-

Who wants to jump around all different apps on their phone even if you have one for each your devices?

:rolleyes: I'm the wrong guy to comment on this...

I did Logitech etc in the past but now I don't use any remote controls. I have an Intel nuc running my own code to do IP control and RS232 for all my devices. This serves a web page on my local network which allows control of everything from the same place!

Last edited:

momochan

Hello all,
I'm new to this forum. Thought I'd share something with the community.

For what it's worth, AVITECT claims the X6800H has ESS ES9017S DACs. I'm not sure what the forum rules are about posting outside links, so I grabbed a few screenshots from the YouTube video they posted yesterday.

Hope this find is of value.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-23 19.46.41.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-23 19.46.41.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot 2024-01-23 19.43.03.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-23 19.43.03.png
    310 KB · Views: 122

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
this site seems to show that too.

That's great news, I hope the info is credible. The ES9017's SINAD spec is 17 dB higher than the PCM5102A!

Tanquen

:rolleyes: I'm the wrong guy to comment on this...

I did Logitech etc in the past but now I don't use any remote controls. I have an Intel nuc running my own code to do IP control and RS232 for all my devices. This serves a web page on my local network which allows control of everything from the same place!
That sounds cool and like something I’d want but I'd never give up my Pronto Pro universal remote and the physical buttons. Along with the IR to RF transmitters it's so nice to be able to use all the NAV, media player and volume buttons in the dark and or under the covers without even looking. I also have a button with a script to turn everything off, even the lights, when I get sleepy enough. I wish they had been able to keep making them but I found a like-new unit to keep as backup.

I keep the configuration software in a VM and it still works well. I was able to swap the AVRs out last night and had to make some updates. Not only did they change some of the default input labels none of the old Denon IR codes I tried where able to switch to the new Game2 input. I had to use the learn IR code for that one.

I’ve done speaker posts many times over the years but this the first time I got a small blister from it. It should come with a Denon Binding Post Wrench in the box. Is there such a thing?
1706113403582.png

They also added two more sets of posts above the Height posts and it makes it a little difficult to get the speaker wires in there.
1706113464453.png

New Install.
1706113516161.png

Anyone want a X6500H? :p

middlemarch

Forum Donor
Where are you located?

Top Bottom