• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Yamaha WXA-50 Streaming Amp

BitPerfect_

Over my dead body! :)) Just kidding.
The truth is that, I have the WXC-50 and I still enjoy it even if there are some limitations. Maybe Wiim Pro Plus to replace my unit, I'll have a look. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers

soulfresh

I use the WXA-50 for years and it never looses his network for streaming, like the Denon x3400 with heos do.
Its a nice amp.
My WXA-50 did have some issues with the Wifi after 3 years. However, it's on/off everyday for 6-7 years and it's been solid without any other issues. Living in Melbourne, Australia, temperature in summer can get quite hot and I never have it overheating that it needed to shut down. Maybe that's the reason why the Wifi isn't working haha!

Other than that I can vouch the build quality is simply exceptional for the price when I bought it years ago!

BitPerfect_

If Qobuz will become available in my area, WXC-50 as far as I've read on another post is able to stream 24/192 bit perfect, which is pure gold imho.
I am able to stream Deezer via MusicCast CD quality 16/44.1 for example but I am still waiting for Qobuz to get Hi-Res, using the phone as remote not wired near to the DAC.

Otherwise as I've mentioned, for me at least, this is a great piece of gear.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Otherwise as I've mentioned, for me at least, this is a great piece of gear.
I enjoyed my one-year of ownership (circa 2021)... but WXC-50 is at least a decade-old product and better designs can now be purchased with no loss, upon selling the Yamaha in the used market... before it becomes a true audio relic << imo.

BitPerfect_

In the end, this is a matter of taste; I am unable to find something that looks as good as WXC-50. Most of the units in this price range are bulky, no details, plastic, shinny or like the Christmas tree full of lights , all the colors, all kind.

MusicCast could be better in terms of UX for sure. No seeking in song, no detailed resolution, compared with WiiM for example. I saw the app and it looks pretty good.

Last edited:

sethr

I enjoyed my one-year of ownership (circa 2021)... but WXC-50 is at least a decade-old product and better designs can now be purchased with no loss, upon selling the Yamaha in the used market... before it becomes a true audio relic << imo.

I'm considering replacing replacing my WXA-50 because I don't use the streaming functionality at all and I a need a bit more power for my Revel M16s. What would the leading contenders be in the same price range, presuming I'm ok with separate components and the somewhat messier setup that comes with it? I've been thinking about going with Toppings for both the DAC and amp, but would consider using a SMSL or a Wiim for the DAC side of things. Ideally I'd like an amp with multiple analog inputs, but I would be ok with just a single input. I have a UA Audio volt 176 interface that i'll occasionally be using instead of the dedicated DAC. I should send the 176 in to Amir, I've always been curious about how well its DAC performs.

Gyosa1

How does the WXC-50 perform as a pure analogue pre-amp?
I’m using one as a streaming preamp in my bedroom system.
i stream music and also have a tv connected via optical.

it does a good job for what it is , but my Cambridge 851n and Eversolo A8 obviously outperform it.

if I was in the market to replace it for what I’m using it for , I’d probably go with either a Eversolo A6 or Matrix Audio mini I-4….. the wxc50 won’t stream hi-rez from Tidal , and it appears Yamaha has given up on firmware updates.

bk

tc2007

Well I meant when using the WXC-50 analogue inputs like with an Eversolo etc, which have much better streaming features and sound signature.
The WXC-50 would be for adding a subwoofer + bass management etc.

Gyosa1

Well I meant when using the WXC-50 analogue inputs like with an Eversolo etc, which have much better streaming features and sound signature.
Oh , sorry !

analog ? What’s that ?
LOL

I don’t know as I haven’t used anything analog in years .

bk

BenjaminB

The WXC-50 analog input seems to be converted to digital (then using an ADC), in that respect it is not a pure analog pre-amp. Using the analog input and output is then converting the signal twice (A to D and D to A). The review of the WXA-50 (post #1 of this thread) included a (brief?) test of the analog input, the result looked similar to the digital inputs indicating that Yamaha has used a good ADC. Otherwise, little is known of this ADC.
One should of course avoid unnecessary A/D, D/A as there are always possibilities for downgrading the signal.

Thus, if you have all components test the set-up you aim for and listen. If you are happy - good.

AJM1981

In the end, this is a matter of taste; I am unable to find something that looks as good as WXC-50. Most of the units in this price range are bulky, no details, plastic, shinny or like the Christmas tree full of lights , all the colors, all kind.

MusicCast could be better in terms of UX for sure. No seeking in song, no detailed resolution, compared with WiiM for example. I saw the app and it looks pretty good.

I own the Wxa50. Do you know if the enhancer setting works on the Wxc50?

AJM1981

The Wxa50 has aux out. I have used it for streaming to a 70s integrated amplifier in a test, something simple, but really useful as the most basic form of a pre-amp. Unsurprisingly, apart from transferring audio in the most direct sense, nothing else did function. Even the enhancer did not do anything.

BitPerfect_

‘Direct mode’ toggle button it’s ON in you MusicCast app?

Last edited:

Gyosa1

The Wxa50 has aux out. I have used it for streaming to a 70s integrated amplifier in a test, something simple, but really useful as the most basic form of a pre-amp. Unsurprisingly, apart from transferring audio in the most direct sense, nothing else did function. Even the enhancer did not do anything.
Try using the “pre out” instead of the aux out , in PREAMP or PLAYER mode …
that should do the trick . The aux uses the burr brown DAC , pre out uses the ESS DAC ( with it‘s dsp capabilities)- a far better choice.

bk

Top Bottom