• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mooooltipass: Like Mother, Like Daughter

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
b6f51b911a59c1c8db9d04986d54f3b9.jpg

Last edited:

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Aziz, LIGHT!

JSmith

Master Contributor
Today I don't feel well so had to call out. I think I will download this movie and watch it in my bed.
Ok, in the spirit of this thread... I'm dusting off the bluray (also have the ol' dvd) on my various movie collection shelves tonight and watching this again too. :cool:

592f30d646462f576ad702b920d21c8f.gif

the-fifth-element-leeloo.gif

JSmith

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Speaking of blu-ray, Fifth Element was part of the first three (?) Blu-rays released by Sony. The used MPEG-2 codec which produces very lousy picture quality given the noisy film source. It created massive riots in streets by enthusiasts, forcing Sony to re-release it later using the more advanced H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec. Sony made a lot more patent royalties from MPEG-2 and had a lot of pride in it; hence forcing the early titles to be MPEG-2.

We were in HD-DVD camp and despite lower bandwidth of the format, our WMV codec with close collaboration with studios created far better quality. This forced Sony's hand to switch to H.264 per above in later releases.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Haven’t watched it in a few years, I’ll see if it’s on netflix/prime……………5 mins later, nope but it’s on Apple TV in 4k for £3.99 so that’s my viewing sorted for Friday night :).

BIG BADDA BOOM

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Such a well done, clever movie. Definitely on my short list of favorites.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Blu-rays released by Sony. The used MPEG-2 codec which produces very lousy picture quality given the noisy film source.
Yep, some of the first BD's were basically just upscaled SD thrown on a BD and were terrible PQ, not to mention some using horrible amounts of DNR causing detail to be lost. I'd rather 'film grain' than poorly applied DNR.

I kept my DVD until a better BD release came out, as learnt my lesson with a few bad releases.
I liked HD-DVD and was disappointed BD won the format war... each could have had it's place in the market.

JSmith

Top Bottom