Recent content by _Dekker

1. _Dekker

Dynaudio 18s trigger

While getting my room optimized with this sub I ran into the desire to bypass the sub for measurements. The manual states: Trigger (5 - 12 VDC = on) 4 options: 1: Disable: Trigger input is ignored. 2: ON/OFF: Trigger input is required to turn the 18S on. 3: Mute sub with High pass: Trigger...
  2. _Dekker

(Balanced, with high pass filter) Sub for Genelec 8040B, how?

Update: I managed to get a nice deal on a new Dynaudio 18s Sub and I am just now finished with installing it. Balanced cables go to the sub and then balanced again from sub to the monitors (Genelec 8040B). Most difficult part was finding a nice spot for the 18s, the first location on the desk...
  3. _Dekker

The best way to bring audio enthusiasts from the dark side and see the light?

How many of you did the tests in post #22? If you believe you have golden ears then of course you stand above these tests and even distrust them. It's a bit like everybody thinks he is the best driver in the world. Or at least could be. My believe is that the person in question should know he...
  4. _Dekker

What is this? No golden ears!

In the 90's I swapped my cheap Marantz CD player for a cheap Pioneer player from a friend to see if there would be a difference. Well there surely was: the Pioneer added a sibilance to female voices that was very easy to pick out and annoying to listen to. The same with an old Akai amplifier...
  5. _Dekker

The Most Audiophool Thing You Own

Many years ago I assembled a 'Field size detector' from a schematic out of an electronics magazine. It was put in a small, completely sealed case with only an on/off button. Operated on a 9V battery. How you use it: Switch on the audio component to measure, for instance the CD player. With the...
  6. _Dekker

Spotify Speaks

Tried Qobuz, Tidal and Spotify. I do not care about lossless, did a lot of AB testing on that and I simply cannot tell a difference. If your hearing stops at 15kHz then 192kB/s is already good enough (the lower the bitrate, the more high frequencies are cut off). What I DO care about is the...
  7. _Dekker

What are we listening to right now..

At 30sec a nice WHOA moment for people who hear a good audio system for the first time.
  8. _Dekker

My speakers sound better than my headphones...

For many years my opinion was that headphones were the way to go: always the same frequency characteristic no matter where you are. This was confirmed even more when I upgraded to the HD800s from Sennheiser. I found them to be absolutely awesome, especially for the openness of the sound they are...
  9. _Dekker

AVS Thread: Does anyone base there [sic] buys off audiosciencereview?

ASR made me decide on headphone amp, balanced DAC and Genelecs. This site also confirmed my positive opinion on the headphones and integrated amplifier I already had: luckily I seem to have made good choices on my own and it's nice to see that proven by data. Also made me get rid of the...
  10. _Dekker

I found the big subwoofer overview spreadsheet (totally missed it earlier) and had a play with it. Another constraint I put on myself is to use a closed sub in order to get maximum low-end extension with room gain. Also the compact size requirement is easier to meet with a closed box. With this...
  11. _Dekker

Is HD800S worth it over HD600 with 4.5x price difference?

Exactly, for the first part at least. I have the hd580 and hd800s. The 580 (with or without eq) just sounds dull and muffled compared to the 800s, I never listen to them anymore. The 580, 5xx, 600, 650, 6xx, 660s are all very slight modifications witin the same theme IMO. I could hardly tell the...
  12. _Dekker

Not too long ago I upgraded from M-Audio Cx-5 monitors to Genelec 8040B's. Reason was to get more low end and better quality sound overall which was a total success: I simply love them. However I'm now enjoying the additional low bass (30Hz in room) so much that I'm looking towards a future...
  13. _Dekker

Denon AH-D9200 musings

For what it's worth: today I had a quick listen to these and the D7200 to see if they might offer something that the 800S does not. (At home I listen to the 800S with Amir EQ from the 800S review.) The Denons I listened to without EQ. First up was the D7200 which was quite underwhelming. The...
  14. _Dekker

The closest thing to a Sennheiser HD800/HD800S in a studio monitor?

I have the 800S and use it with the EQ that Amir mentions in his review. Totally awesome. Since a few weeks I have the Genelec 8040b. With a UMIK carefully appllied EQ below 500Hz-ish for flat bass. Above 500Hz I only put in two 2dB dips with Q3.5 where the Klippel measurements (from Genelec...
Top Bottom