Recent content by _Dekker

1. _Dekker

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

Meanwhile I had a new balanced cable made by ChrisCables. Price was doable (significantly cheaper than original) and the quality is really nice. He also sent photos of the insulation done internally, which gives me confidence it will last for a long time. Happy HD800s user again!
  2. _Dekker

Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)

Does anyone know of a European supplier for a new cable at a fair price? My XLR version is disintegrating and needs replacement. Somehow the insulation of the last part of the cable gets weak and tears easily over time, looks like a chemical reaction with the inner parts of the cable.
  3. _Dekker

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM Review

Got the Red this week, already had the blue. The red for me is just about perfect: only a -3dB adjustment needed at 9.1kHz, could easily live without. With the blue a -7 dB adjust was needed at 8kHz (solves grainy sound) together with two additional filters to get the bass right. I use them with...
  4. _Dekker

Dynaudio 18s trigger

While getting my room optimized with this sub I ran into the desire to bypass the sub for measurements. The manual states: Trigger (5 - 12 VDC = on) 4 options: 1: Disable: Trigger input is ignored. 2: ON/OFF: Trigger input is required to turn the 18S on. 3: Mute sub with High pass: Trigger...
  5. _Dekker

(Balanced, with high pass filter) Sub for Genelec 8040B, how?

Update: I managed to get a nice deal on a new Dynaudio 18s Sub and I am just now finished with installing it. Balanced cables go to the sub and then balanced again from sub to the monitors (Genelec 8040B). Most difficult part was finding a nice spot for the 18s, the first location on the desk...
  6. _Dekker

The best way to bring audio enthusiasts from the dark side and see the light?

How many of you did the tests in post #22? If you believe you have golden ears then of course you stand above these tests and even distrust them. It's a bit like everybody thinks he is the best driver in the world. Or at least could be. My believe is that the person in question should know he...
  7. _Dekker

What is this? No golden ears!

In the 90's I swapped my cheap Marantz CD player for a cheap Pioneer player from a friend to see if there would be a difference. Well there surely was: the Pioneer added a sibilance to female voices that was very easy to pick out and annoying to listen to. The same with an old Akai amplifier...
  8. _Dekker

The Most Audiophool Thing You Own

Many years ago I assembled a 'Field size detector' from a schematic out of an electronics magazine. It was put in a small, completely sealed case with only an on/off button. Operated on a 9V battery. How you use it: Switch on the audio component to measure, for instance the CD player. With the...
  9. _Dekker

Spotify Speaks

Tried Qobuz, Tidal and Spotify. I do not care about lossless, did a lot of AB testing on that and I simply cannot tell a difference. If your hearing stops at 15kHz then 192kB/s is already good enough (the lower the bitrate, the more high frequencies are cut off). What I DO care about is the...
  10. _Dekker

What are we listening to right now..

At 30sec a nice WHOA moment for people who hear a good audio system for the first time.
  11. _Dekker

My speakers sound better than my headphones...

For many years my opinion was that headphones were the way to go: always the same frequency characteristic no matter where you are. This was confirmed even more when I upgraded to the HD800s from Sennheiser. I found them to be absolutely awesome, especially for the openness of the sound they are...
  12. _Dekker

AVS Thread: Does anyone base there [sic] buys off audiosciencereview?

ASR made me decide on headphone amp, balanced DAC and Genelecs. This site also confirmed my positive opinion on the headphones and integrated amplifier I already had: luckily I seem to have made good choices on my own and it's nice to see that proven by data. Also made me get rid of the...
  13. _Dekker

(Balanced, with high pass filter) Sub for Genelec 8040B, how?

I found the big subwoofer overview spreadsheet (totally missed it earlier) and had a play with it. Another constraint I put on myself is to use a closed sub in order to get maximum low-end extension with room gain. Also the compact size requirement is easier to meet with a closed box. With this...
  14. _Dekker

Is HD800S worth it over HD600 with 4.5x price difference?

Exactly, for the first part at least. I have the hd580 and hd800s. The 580 (with or without eq) just sounds dull and muffled compared to the 800s, I never listen to them anymore. The 580, 5xx, 600, 650, 6xx, 660s are all very slight modifications witin the same theme IMO. I could hardly tell the...
Top Bottom