• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ground loop issues from computer audio

Bouly

Hello, I am looking for advice on how to solve ground loop issues on my home computer setup. The main thing is that I want to be able to quickly switch between a desktop computer and a laptop for the audio source. Here is a schematic of the setup :

Capture d’écran 2021-10-22 à 11.34.53.png

I am considering replacing the power strip with a filtered one such as https://www.av-connection.com/?PGr=13568 .
Would that be a solution?
I thought plugging all components in the same power strip would solve ground loop issues, but I still have the ground loop.
Thanks for any insight.

raindance

Major Contributor
What's the symptom of your ground loop, ie what are you hearing?

Have you tried a cheater plug on the active speakers?

ppataki

Major Contributor
If you lift the ground of your PC that will solve the issue but it is somewhat hazardous so generally it is not advisable...
I have done that in the past when I had a miniDSP DAC8 and it worked like a charm

A more acceptable solution could be to use an isolation transformer on your mains: https://www.radioparts.com.au/produ...ectrostatic-screen-mains-electrostatic-screen
I am using one of those now and there is no more noise and the audio quality also got better since the isolation transformer provides galvanic isolation from your mains (=mains noise will not get through due to the lack of metallic connection)

OP
B

Bouly

What's the symptom of your ground loop, ie what are you hearing?

Have you tried a cheater plug on the active speakers?
Buzzing when moving the mouse. Noise whenever the computer is processing something.

OP
B

Bouly

pma

Major Contributor
Hello, I am looking for advice on how to solve ground loop issues on my home computer setup. The main thing is that I want to be able to quickly switch between a desktop computer and a laptop for the audio source. Here is a schematic of the setup :

View attachment 160689
I am considering replacing the power strip with a filtered one such as https://www.av-connection.com/?PGr=13568 .
Would that be a solution?
I thought plugging all components in the same power strip would solve ground loop issues, but I still have the ground loop.
Thanks for any insight.

Same strip is no help. Put an isolation transformer before the PC, as I draw in the picture.

loopin system.png

isol_tr.JPG

I use
BREVE TUFVASSONS
PFS250/230/230V

or if 250VA is not enough, go to higher VA rating.

pma

Major Contributor
Ok so I just made some tests. The issue seems to be coming from the external GPU. When I plug it out of the MacBook the ground loop disappears.

Then put the isolation transformer before the MacBook. It may help or it will help before the PC, somewhere the loop is to be interrupted.

pma

Major Contributor
A good quality audio isolation transformer between your passive source switch and the powered speakers would probably be the easiest fix.
Low quality audio isolation transformer tend to roll off lower frequencies.

Jensen makes quality transformers. Link: Line Level Isolation Transformer

They are more expensive than the mains line isolation transformer and they degrade audio signal, especially at low frequencies. I am leaving the thread, there will be no help.

OP
B

Bouly

That is not a ground loop. It's interference and it's probably the laptop power supply.
How would you solve interference then ? what's the difference with the ground loop ? I thought ground loop was causing interference

raindance

Major Contributor
How would you solve interference then ? what's the difference with the ground loop ? I thought ground loop was causing interference
Optical isolation works, balanced connections works, also sometimes using a different power supply helps. There's a lot of trial and error in figuring this out. But a ground loop is typically a constant hum.

OP
B

Bouly

Alright so I have ordered 2 items :
- a high end ground separator : http://www.jenving.com/products/view/ags-10k-audio-4xrca-1021000045 . I would place it right after the audio source selector.
- a smart power filter : https://ifi-audio.com/products/gnd-defender/ . I would place it before the desktop computer or before the external GPU power supply.
When these items arrive, I will test them, and report if they fixed the issue. I picked these because I can install them with minimal changes to my current setup. If I still have the issue I will switch to an external DAC that can have 2 USB sources (to connect it to both the laptop and desktop) and has XLR output.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Ok so I just made some tests. The issue seems to be coming from the external GPU. When I plug it out of the MacBook the ground loop disappears.
How much does it drowe, did you try to put it on another wall plug?

Edit: I know Asus can be itchy.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Alright so I have ordered 2 items :
- a high end ground separator : http://www.jenving.com/products/view/ags-10k-audio-4xrca-1021000045 . I would place it right after the audio source selector.
- a smart power filter : https://ifi-audio.com/products/gnd-defender/ . I would place it before the desktop computer or before the external GPU power supply.
When these items arrive, I will test them, and report if they fixed the issue. I picked these because I can install them with minimal changes to my current setup. If I still have the issue I will switch to an external DAC that can have 2 USB sources (to connect it to both the laptop and desktop) and has XLR output.
That audio isolation transformer is interesting in that the L and R outputs are mirrored from the inputs. Something to watch out for when connecting. The technical specs are incomplete; it has a frequency range of 10-22k, but no +-db specs are given.

Good luck and I hope all is fixed when these devices are installed. I wouldn't worry too much about low frequency loss when using this isolation transformer.

ags-10k_600_v2.jpg

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom