• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

escalibur

@amirm any ETA regarding HIFIME UDA38PRO DAC measurements? :)

derp1n

Or the Soekris dac1421?

Veri

Master Contributor
Good DACs come to those who wait.

Bhargu

Good DACs come to those who wait.

I decided to wait 3 months ago when my old one died. I still haven't decided yet. Currently it is a tie between Topping D50 + Arcam rHead, iFi Micro BL, SDAC + O2 (dropping in September, I believe). SDAC + O2 is considerably cheaper than the rest. If UDA38Pro performs well enough, I might consider it with one of the amps.

Is there any amp recommendation below $300 mark?

Veri

Master Contributor
I decided to wait 3 months ago when my old one died. I still haven't decided yet. Currently it is a tie between Topping D50 + Arcam rHead, iFi Micro BL, SDAC + O2 (dropping in September, I believe). SDAC + O2 is considerably cheaper than the rest. If UDA38Pro performs well enough, I might consider it with one of the amps.

Is there any amp recommendation below $300 mark?

Damn you did your research though. The Topping+RHead seems perfect imo unless you want the iFi features (bass boost, crossfeed, different filters to tinker with), the iFi is rather expensive unless you find a deal on it though. SDAC+O2 is the most elegant and cheap, you could see if you can find one used too if you want it more quickly.
https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=SDAC there's one on ebay right now.

Since both the SDAC has been measured as being great and the O2 just now as well (both ~100dB SINAD iirc), I think you will be safe there. I doubt you will be able to hear differences with the Topping/RHead stack unless you want piece of mind to have state-of-the-art (Rhead has not been measured here. Reputable brand though). And again, unless you want the iFi features. :)

Bhargu

Damn you did your research though. The Topping+RHead seems perfect imo unless you want the iFi features (bass boost, crossfeed, different filters to tinker with), the iFi is rather expensive unless you find a deal on it though. SDAC+O2 is the most elegant and cheap, you could see if you can find one used too if you want it more quickly.
https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=SDAC there's one on ebay right now.

Since both the SDAC has been measured as being great and the O2 just now as well (both ~100dB SINAD iirc), I think you will be safe there. I doubt you will be able to hear differences with the Topping/RHead stack unless you want piece of mind to have state-of-the-art (Rhead has not been measured here. Reputable brand though). And again, unless you want the iFi features. :)

I considered iFi mainly because of the portability. No power brick/external power, massive power output, decent performance. Cost is an issue as I don't need crossfeed/preamp/RCA out/Optical in/USB charging/etc. So I get the feeling that I am wasting money on unwanted stuff. I am purely IEM/headphone guy. My life, for now, doesn't allow for speakers.

rHead mainly because of its simplicity, looks and its reviews. Haven't seen even a single measurement of it yet. Still, the reviews sound good. Also, the zero tracking issue/pot noise is a big factor for me. And rHead and D50 stacks well enough (in looks).

The only problem with O2 is the output power. I don't mind the looks and like the small size (O2 + SDAC).

Veri

Master Contributor
I think you basically decided it then. D50/rHead seems the way to go :)

Bhargu

I think you basically decided it then. D50/rHead seems the way to go :)

Not really. I am still very much interested in UDA38Pro. It is usable as a portable DAC/Amp without worrying about battery. I will wait for the measurements of that and make my final decision also based on the availability of the O2/SDAC combo at that time. Also, who knows, I might have got hooked on some other device by then.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm any ETA regarding HIFIME UDA38PRO DAC measurements? :)
Or the Soekris dac1421?
I am bombarded with products to review and requests to do them. It is hard to assign priority to one or the other. I must have 6 or 7 of them on the bench right now.

I say the Soekris dac1421 will get priority since it is on loan and I am half-way through measuring it. I appreciate everyone's patience and do bring the feedback as that informs the priority for reviews....

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FYI I have purchased an Arcam rHead from UK which is coming. :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I am bombarded with products to review and requests to do them. It is hard to assign priority to one or the other. I must have 6 or 7 of them on the bench right now.

If you need any help...

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Wow. That's great!!!!!!!

rHead is one of the amp on my want list. After seeing your review, CTH is out. I'm debating among O2, rHead, or just get a NX4 DSD even though I already have several DACs.

Looking forward to your review!!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I see several complaints about headphone "pop" when turning the associated DAC/AMP on or off.

How about an electrical measurement of a few that "pop" just to see how egregious they really are.

antdroid

Reviewer
@amirm Would you be willing to measure the Radsone EarStudio ES100? I can loan you my unit as I am not using it much right now. It's a bluetooth amp/dac that can also be used as a USB device. Dual DAC/Dual Amp circuitry.

Thanks.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Would you be willing to measure the Radsone EarStudio ES100? I can loan you my unit as I am not using it much right now. It's a bluetooth amp/dac that can also be used as a USB device. Dual DAC/Dual Amp circuitry.

Thanks.
Ah, someone was just asking me about that yesterday. I said no to him because I am not sure if I can measure the bluetooth path. But since you are local and already have the unit, sure. Please start a conversation with me and we take it from there.

Bhargu

Nice. This is my No. 1 candidate right now. This, or just O2. I just want something which is not too large. I was also looking at JDS Element for a bit more power, but rHead right now is costing less than Element.

I know this might be presumptuous, but, will it be possible to make a basic measurement of the rHead (just your preliminary opinion and/or values for a few of the graph that you generally do, single 50 ohm load) when you get it. I have a friend coming from the UK in the first week of September. If I am to get this, it might be good to have him pick it up, so that he can test it (defects/working condition, etc.) before bringing it over.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Nice. This is my No. 1 candidate right now. This, or just O2. I just want something which is not too large. I was also looking at JDS Element for a bit more power, but rHead right now is costing less than Element.

I know this might be presumptuous, but, will it be possible to make a basic measurement of the rHead (just your preliminary opinion and/or values for a few of the graph that you generally do, single 50 ohm load) when you get it. I have a friend coming from the UK in the first week of September. If I am to get this, it might be good to have him pick it up, so that he can test it (defects/working condition, etc.) before bringing it over.
You mean do a single measurement sooner than a complete review?

Top Bottom