• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The cliches of subjective audiophilia...

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
That we can measure things that we can hear. Even better than we can hear.
That doesn't mean people don't hear what they hear. Wholesale making fun of others is simply sad.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
1.) When a person is skeptical of unfounded allegations, that does no constitute "making fun" of them.

2.) As for taking valid criticisms, I believe the issue here is what is "valid" and what is not. Jim Taylor

You see skeptical, I saw making fun.
: P

Now, don't be shy. Show us your own hearing tests results.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
That doesn't mean people don't hear what they hear. Wholesale making fun of others is simply sad.

You are completly on the wrong track.
If they hear it, we can measure it , thats all iam saying, If they can hear something we cant measure. A lot of problems start to apear.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

You're being too defensive. This thread is not making fun of groups or individuals (other than engineers), instead, making fun of some statements they often make.

As an example, I've seen and heard some form of "my wife immediately ran into the room asking me what I had changed" many, many times over the years presented as evidence that something is so amazingly better that even one's non-audiophile spouse could hear it from the kitchen. Sorry if this is not funny to you, but it is to me ;)

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
You're being too defensive. This thread is not making fun of groups or individuals (other than engineers), instead, making fun of some statements they often make.

As an example, I've seen and heard some form of "my wife immediately ran into the room asking me what I had changed" many, many times over the years presented as evidence that something is so amazingly better that even one's non-audiophile spouse could hear it from the kitchen. Sorry if this is not funny to you, but it is to me ;)
Nice, at least you are not afraid to confirm that you are "making fun". :p

Geert

Major Contributor
It's OK for others to tell lies, but we can't have some fun?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
You are completly on the wrong track.
If they hear it, we can measure it , thats all iam saying, If they can hear something we cant measure. A lot of problems start to apear.
You are not right either. When did those claims automatically become something that can't be measured? You are making assumptions based on what? "My wife can hear a difference" can be measured.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Believe me, I'm not shy. Don't confuse "shy" with "reticent". Sometimes I'm reticent because I am NOT shy. @AdamG247 has done a good job of teaching me to be reticent.

As for my hearing test results ......... I didn't get a copy from the audiologist. However, if you can imagine in your mind a precipitous cliff, with one person at the top lip holding sign saying "5KHz", and another person at the foot of the cliff holding a sign saying "6KHz", you'll have a pretty good approximation of what they showed me. Jim
I don't ask for much. Just a 0.5db sound difference online blind test to start. Easy Google search to find the test.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Sadly, here is yet another desperate ASR thread trying to insult and discredit anyone who has the temerity to express the opinion that amp or dac A sounds better to them than amp or dac B. It’s desparate because there is no evidence to support the proposition that A and B sound the same. Instead there is just the inference that if they measure the same, surely they must sound the same. Surely they sound the same, don’t they? Don’t they? In the absence of evidence we substitute smug belittling and what amounts to intimidation to prevent anyone from expressing an opinon that contradicts the belief in the current set of measurements as the sole determinant of music reproduction.
It's not the first time the "scientific" community has demonstrated such arrogance and it won't be the last.
All I ask for is evidence that A and B actually do sound different, which requires the listener to listen without knowing which is playing.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
You are not right either. When did those claims automatically become something that can't be measured? You are making assumptions based on what? "My wife can hear a difference" can be measured.

What you like to tell me new?

Geert

Major Contributor
Why are those lies?
Because women don't bother analysing the sound of your system when they're busy in te kitchen. They're probably occupied with wondering why you're not busy mowing the lawn instead of fooling around with cables like a child.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Because women don't bother analysing the sound of your system when they're busy in te kitchen. They're probably occupied with wondering why you're not busy mowing the lawn instead of fooling around with cables like a child.
Interesting....Maybe your wife is like this.

My wife definitely can sense I adjusted my subwoofer volume. From the kitchen, she would yell to ask me to turn the bass down.

Geert

Major Contributor
My wife definitely can sense I adjusted my subwoofer volume. From the kitchen, she would yell to ask me to turn the bass down.
Yes, when the dishes start rambling around. Can you also tell you switched your power cable?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Yes, when the dishes start rambling around. Can you also tell you switched your power cable?
Why do you assume people are saying the wife heard power cable difference? Any link for such statement?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How about you do a simple 0.5db sound pressure test and post your results? That would be new.
The only person that should do any test is the one claiming they can reliably discern the matter under test.

Geert

Major Contributor
Why do you assume people are saying the wife heard power cable difference? Any link for such statement?
Let's keep it real please. Lot's of links refering to that statement, so no assumption all. But I'm not going to waste any time looking for examples.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But I'm not going to waste any time looking for examples.

I am! Here you go, @Pdxwayne , first one I found in 1 second of looking. OK, it doesn't mention the kitchen :)

1630519654662.png

Top Bottom