• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 FS Version 2 DAC and Headphone Amp Review

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Never the less, I'm glad my serial number is marked with a "B" at the end. :D

Ear-Wax

I received my RME ADI-2 today. I am beside myself with childlike enjoyment and wonder :D I just LOVE the SQ and flexibility that's on tap. Super happy I chose this DAC over the Denefrips Aries II or Chrod Qutest as nice as they may be to some. After about an hour of reading the manual and learning the UI I was able to setup the PEQ for my Sundara's and now I look forward to rediscovering my music library in way more detail than I ever have before :):):)

Now if you excuse me, I have to find new homes for a pile of inferior desktop DAC's that I've been collecting recently...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Help wanted please hive mind.

RME drivers installed on windows 10 pc, set sampling rate in windows sound controls for the device to 24/192 (highest rate on amazon music). All going great. Then, tonight, rate displayed on dac, and in device panel on pc changes to 24/ 88.2. That's the only option. Reboot dac and restart pc and it goes down to 44.1 as the only option.

Uninstall rme drivers and I can set the sample rate at anything from 44.1 up to 384khz, but all 32 bit.

Something screwy going on either with my rme, pc, or possibly both. Recent windows update maybe messed something up? Or possibly installing amazon music app tonight? Any ideas anyone?

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
RME drivers installed on windows 10 pc, set sampling rate in windows sound controls for the device to 24/192 (highest rate on amazon music). All going great. Then, tonight, rate displayed on dac, and in device panel on pc changes to 24/ 88.2. That's the only option. Reboot dac and restart pc and it goes down to 44.1 as the only option.

You connected SPDIF? Will be the the clock ref then...

And instead of going the long way simply open the MADIface Series Settings dialog to change the sample rate in there.

Uninstall rme drivers and I can set the sample rate at anything from 44.1 up to 384khz, but all 32 bit.

Which is as expected.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You connected SPDIF? Will be the the clock ref then...

And instead of going the long way simply open the MADIface Series Settings dialog to change the sample rate in there.

Which is as expected.
Yes, SPDIF connected but dont actually need both USB and that connected.

About the MADiface dialogue- I have never got the dialog box to open- I can only ever get to sample settings through windows sound settings.

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
So it looks like you had an SPDIF signal fed which locked the unit to a lower sample rate. If you can't turn that off you will need to pull the SPDIF connection.

About that MADIface dialog - I am talking about the one from chapter 21.1. That one always opens unless the driver is not installed anymore or the unit is not connected. Please give the full details: did it not open, or did you not find the icon to click on?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So it looks like you had an SPDIF signal fed which locked the unit to a lower sample rate. If you can't turn that off you will need to pull the SPDIF connection.

About that MADIface dialog - I am talking about the one from chapter 21.1. That one always opens unless the driver is not installed anymore or the unit is not connected. Please give the full details: did it not open, or did you not find the icon to click on?

File under user error- I had disabled the settings panel in startup once upon a time! Seems to be working right now! Thanks

Tks

Major Contributor
My source is RME
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/rme-changes-dac-chip.24736/post-836638
There is also info in the latest version of their manual.

Finally, they should have done this from the beginning. Nice to see the proper brickwall is also coming, and that THD compensation feature also will be there interestingly enough.

Though I really wish the revisions would stop, and something like 4-pin XLR out would be provided or something. And Bluetooth input for example. Those are the only two things realistically missing from this DAC.

Grotti

Forum Donor
Finally, they should have done this from the beginning. Nice to see the proper brickwall is also coming, and that THD compensation feature also will be there interestingly enough.

Though I really wish the revisions would stop, and something like 4-pin XLR out would be provided or something. And Bluetooth input for example. Those are the only two things realistically missing from this DAC.
What would be the benefits of Bluetooth other than convenience? Most of the Bluetooth Codecs are lossy and avoided by most of the people interested in a DAC like this for good reasons... But a 4pin connector could be nice though.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What would be the benefits of Bluetooth other than convenience? Most of the Bluetooth Codecs are lossy and avoided by most of the people interested in a DAC like this for good reasons... But a 4pin connector could be nice though.

I actually get the Bluetooth thinking. Have phone, have streaming service via phone- you need nothing more with the RME eq to enjoy if you dont want to fire up your PC. Its not perfect, but its convenient given the inbuilt DSP

But I would far rather have a network connection and upnp and/or chromecast

Tks

Major Contributor

None, convenience is also the same ordeal from a 4-pin XLR (you can buy a balanced amp otherwise for less than $200 these days). So both are convenience. Also I'm not sure why it would be "avoided by people buying this sort of DAC", this DAC is precisely a convenience monster with it's wealth of features (pretty much why I bought one). Also everyone has a Bluetooth enabled phone, with streaming services this is almost becoming essential in my personal view, it would be nice not having to boot up a PC at times as well even if listening to music loaded on your phone's storage.

The reason I am saying the revisions should stop, is because it's been a while, and features like I listed are already becoming common place among other DACs, and certainly ones at this price range.

If this was a purely performance driven DAC, then I would understand, it's targeting raw specs, so who cares for secondary features. But this is another release, yet still basically the same as the prior two.

Another reason why this isn't good, is it lowers the value of the prior DACs. People looking to get a new one perhaps second hand, aren't too interested in getting an older version (this goes for any type of product), and since the old ones aren't being really sold brand new at MSRP, their secondary value falls. It's just simply not a good look. But this is something I personally don't really care about, and I'm mentioning it because I heard someone make this point and it made sense.

Come to think of it, there is another feature, a streamer perhaps, or music player (like the latest Matrix Audio DAC/AMP/Streamer). This would also be something they should look to add. Put that screen to even more use and such.

Obviously this successor DAC I don't expect to cost the same as the current version if it's going to have all 3 of these things. But having something like Bluetooth and XLR 4-pin out, isn't something I'd expect should cost a fortune. Though the streamer/local storage player function I imagine with the combination with the prior two features I just mentioned, would be a substantial cost increase due to all the support that would be required for streamer capability, and all the UI work that would need to be done and software work to get something like a streamer going.

So Bluetooth + XLR for the next revision (at least one of these for goodness sake). And for the higher tier upgrade, add the streamer + local player at higher cost.

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
This 'revision' was necessary to keep the unit available - we don't waste our engineering time for new revisions just to annoy our customers. It is in no way an upgrade, but carefully selected to get more or less the same performance as before - exactly to avoid that 'it lowers the value of the prior DACs'. No one needs to update. If you think that the Brickwall filter is a reason to update then sorry, I don't agree. It's importance for proper music playback is not as high as some people think. This has also been discussed here before.

Top Bottom