• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X26Pro Review (Balanced High-end DAC)

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
When did “pro” become the synonym of “better”? Ages ago. Tons of marketing refers to “pro quality” or “professional quality” gear and no one bats an eyelash.

“Pro” is an easily-understood indicia of quality. Within the stream of commerce, it has acquired this secondary meaning. Given this secondary meaning well understood by the market, it is smart for companies like Gustard and Topping to use this nomenclature, not stupid.
I didn't say it was stupid, marketing is not stupidity, I'm saying pro don't mean professional in most cases, that's all. I honestly don't care how the makers name their products. I didn't want to raise a debate about this, my point was about the irony of being surprised and question the validity of having features used by pro included in a product that has Pro in his name.

Last edited:

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Indic
No, only stuff that is equally transparent for a fraction of that price.
It's not the same feature set...have to compare apples to apples

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Easy. Can you say cost? Not only mfg but also engineering.
If you dont get this, become a business owner and try to compete in this market. Really tough!
:D

Koeitje

Major Contributor
LOL.........
Why would you want a device that measures inferior?
Just for it's PEQ?
Maybe the cheaper Topping D90SE would suit you better.
I don't think you understand what the measurements actually tell you.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL.........
Why would you want a device that measures inferior?
Just for it's PEQ?
Maybe the cheaper Topping D90SE would suit you better.
1. Because it has headphones and IEMs outputs.
2. Because correcting one's room response or a headphone tonality with PEQ brings far more returns than possibly inaudible better measurements.
3. Because the ADI-2 DAC has pre-amp mode that keeps SINAD high in all levels, not a simple digital attenuator.
4. Smaller, lighter, cheaper.

Katji

Major Contributor
Mk2 sounds like a refresh to me. But what do I know.
Francis V. is giving [somewhat] objective definition, proper. "Sounds like" sounds like subjective audiophile stuff. ;)

Note also the explanation of the word "amateur" yesterday. (The opposite of "professional.")
( https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dac-and-headphone-amplifier.24341/post-824141 )

However, I think it is like farting against thunder or pissing against the wind. :)
You know how falsehood "becomes true" after it has been repeated a lot and is accepted by the majority.
This level doesn't bother me, what does is the internet apostrophe psychosis and random use of capitalisation.

...And sometimes the same people with such problems expect me to accept their audiophile nonsense about listening to cables and so on.

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir. This is a novel device that seems priced right for what you get. The discrete performance is impressive.

Personally I would take the better performing Topping D90SE which also has a novel, albeit not discrete architecture. I suppose Topping will be more attractive to people who want the best performance, and this is more 'audiophile.'

As for the 'pro' designation, I agree it has lost most of its meaning, but I don't really have a problem with it on a DAC that has XLR outputs, or better yet, AES in and XLR out. I agree with comments there are better nomenclatures though. I like the Schiit 2, 3, +, 3+, S, etc. I don't think the Topping or Gustard 'pro' nomenclature is terrible though. More 'good not great.' It communicates the message effectively, but many of the constructive comments are still on point.

hmt

Agreed. Such a space and money consuming gear that does not really do anything besides being a DAC. Imo that is a totally uninteresting niche of products.

Katji

Major Contributor
When did “pro” become the synonym of “better”? Ages ago. Tons of marketing refers to “pro quality” or “professional quality” gear and no one bats an eyelash.

“Pro” is an easily-understood indicia of quality. Within the stream of commerce, it has acquired this secondary meaning. Given this secondary meaning well understood by the market, it is smart for companies like Gustard and Topping to use this nomenclature, not stupid.
Yes, understood, I agree...and btw I can also talk about the original or "proper" meaning of the word "quality."

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, understood, I agree...and btw I can also talk about the original or "proper" meaning of the word "quality."
Sure, understood about “quality”—i.e., a characteristic of an object.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Agreed. Such a space and money consuming gear that does not really do anything besides being a DAC. Imo that is a totally uninteresting niche of products.
I think it is interesting, but I probably won't spend $500+ on one.

Zensō

Major Contributor
This is an example of a product that takes audiophile marketing to the extreme. Some audiophiles believe they need features used in professional environments such as external clocking, so Gustard brings these features into a DAC that will never be used by any professional, and then names the DAC “Pro” knowing full well this is not a professional product, but also knowing the name and features perceived as professional will appeal to some non-professional audiophiles. It makes the head spIn.

Of course, this is just another day at the office in the audio(phile) industry.

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
I think it is interesting but considering the price [versus Topping] I would rather accept an MQA sticker than an I2S connector and the external clock thing. :)

Top Bottom