• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm , is it possible to overlay the D90 and D90SE on each test?
It is fair bit of pain as I have to export and import them. Klippel software makes this easy for speaker measurements but AP graphing is not that friendly to use.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
:facepalm:

1623794933136.png

I think someone looked at the thumbnails only in an image search...

complian.JPG

jaraheel

An off topic question: What measure indicates the so-called stage size of a dac here?

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is fair bit of pain as I have to export and import them. Klippel software makes this easy for speaker measurements but AP graphing is not that friendly to use.
Gotcha. :(

Cut-Throat

Sooo this vs Gustard X26 Pro? :D

I made that decision after reading the reviews on the D90SE. And I promptly ordered the Gustard X26 Pro.... A friend brought over the X26 Pro last week and it had more Authority and 'Body' than my D90.

I already own the D90. It is a great DAC, but here is the 'deal' with the X26. From the Review:

"For the current to voltage conversion (I/V conversion stage), Gustard used only discrete components, not a single op-amp is found in its signal path. Its analog Low-Pass Filter (LPF) also uses only fully discrete components biased into Class-A. Again, no cheap op-amps are found in its signal path. This is a crucial part of any DAC, this is the reason it uses two toroidal transformers and this is why it dissipates so much heat."

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
I made that decision after reading the reviews on the D90SE. And I promptly ordered the Gustard X26 Pro.... A friend brought over the X26 Pro last week and it had more Authority and 'Body' than my D90.

I already own the D90. It is a great DAC, but here is the 'deal' with the X26. From the Review:

"For the current to voltage conversion (I/V conversion stage), Gustard used only discrete components, not a single op-amp is found in its signal path. Its analog Low-Pass Filter (LPF) also uses only fully discrete components biased into Class-A. Again, no cheap op-amps are found in its signal path. This is a crucial part of any DAC, this is the reason it uses two toroidal transformers and this is why it dissipates so much heat."

Also X26 Pro has a much better crosstalk measurement than D90SE if the prototype is any indication. Would be nice to have this confirmed for the production model though.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
So what we need now is a companion review of the usability and functionality of the device. Maybe a member can do up such a review.

Are there switch on/off thumps/noise or noises when changing sampling rates etc?
How useful is the remote or is it too small/big has poor range etc?
Is the display readable in bright light?
How does the volume control perform? (speed of adjustment- does it remember settings and for how long does it remember)
Is the three button system painful for setting up/menu/filters etc?
Does it get hot?

jcarys

There's absolutely no reason why a DAC with discrete components and an analog LPF can't sound excellent, but it's the state of the art of the late 90s. If a cheap (or not, I have no idea of current costs) piece of silicon can perform the same functions for 1/10th or 1/100th of the cost, that's how I would design it now. It's the same technology in music creation (synths, DAWs), production (ProTools on a computer workstation), transmission (that computer again), and reproduction (receivers, DACs, computer equalization). Hanging on to one tiny piece of the chain as discrete components makes little sense to me in 2021. But it's available there for $1500 for any customer that wants one. Personally, I'm happy with the E30, it already performs beyond the range of my hearing.

gvl

Major Contributor
So what we need now is a companion review of the usability and functionality of the device. Maybe a member can do up such a review.

Are there switch on/off thumps/noise or noises when changing sampling rates etc?
How useful is the remote or is it too small/big has poor range etc?
Is the display readable in bright light?
How does the volume control perform? (speed of adjustment- does it remember settings and for how long does it remember)
Is the three button system painful for setting up/menu/filters etc?
Does it get hot?

In the spirit of ASR there must be a well defined protocol for quantifying these in place first. Can you trust someone with -8 vision and hangover to judge display readability?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
There appears to be a discrepancy on this in the manual, the graph says F3 is the default, but the menu description text says the Mode1 fast roll off apodizing is the default. I hope F3 on the graph is not the same as the Mode1 in the text, as it would be very confusing.
The default should be F3 as shown in the graph.

Top Bottom