• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple lossless official announcement

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t care what you guys will be thinking but the pussycat dolls sound good and dynamic with Atmos.

8EA37FA8-9CFB-46BB-A9A2-AB24415B7361.jpg

TK750

On the Apple Music app on Windows 10 - I can't see any way to look at streaming quality settings...am I missing something?

Pretty sure there isn't an Apple Music app for PC? Not an official one anyway, I believe the recommended way to listen is via iTunes or via a web browser (not sure if you'll be able to toggle quality there but wouldn't expect so unfortunately). I think there are a few third party solutions too.

Apple are supposed to be working on one though, surprised they didn't launch it at the same time as the lossless stuff but I guess it must not be ready =S.

BinkieHuckerback

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Pretty sure there isn't an Apple Music app for PC? Not an official one anyway, I believe the recommended way to listen is via iTunes or via a web browser (not sure if you'll be able to toggle quality there but wouldn't expect so unfortunately). I think there are a few third party solutions too.

Apple are supposed to be working on one though, surprised they didn't launch it at the same time as the lossless stuff but I guess it must not be ready =S.
Ah ok, ya - I'm maybe misusing the term 'app' - I'm on the beta Apple Music...'website'.

symphara

He probably meant iTunes. I went searching for the lossless option too, it’s not there.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Someone has to test whether these Dolby releases have different dynamic range or not because I’m going crazy.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Guys you need to try Blinding light by the weekend in Dolby Atmos, it’s almost like a completely different song.

Just listened to it on your recommendation, I switched back to back throughout the song comparing it to the stereo mix and the atmos version sounds recessed and poorly defined, the tom hits are very lacklustre and vocals sound like their coming from inside an iso booth.

You we’re right about the fact it sounds like a completely different song, to my ears it sounds like the mastering engineer had a head cold when he signed off on the song

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just listened to it on your recommendation, I switched back to back throughout the song comparing it to the stereo mix and the atmos version sounds recessed and poorly defined, the tom hits are very lacklustre and vocals sound like their coming from inside an iso booth.

You we’re right about the fact it sounds like a completely different song, to my ears it sounds like the mastering engineer had a head cold when he signed off on the song

It was the very first song i Tried in Atmos, it was just technically impressive to listen to, but yeah the bass and attacks in general are different in almost every Dolby Atmos track.

I don’t know how much American Pop you listen to but pretty much all of Ariana Grande’s discography got an Atmos touch up and it sounds really great on my headphones.

DimitryZ

Forum Donor

Sadly, similar to my impression of Jazz Messengers' Just Coolin'.

Atmos was recessed, which seemed like depth, but original has depth and instrument spaciality, but is much more alive, immediate and dynamic.

Dolby sounded like, well, a processed and lossy codec. What bitrate does it use?

But, the good thing, we don't have to use it. And regular CD resolution sounds very good. Will compare with Amazon, Qobuz and Tidal/MQA.

Tks

Major Contributor
Okay, so there is the headline sample tracks introducing people to spatial audio.. The first is Marvin Gaye and then second is The Weeknd. The first demonstration made no sense.. It's supposed to take you through Mono-Strero-Spatial. The only problem, the first isn't even Mono, the second sounds like Crossfeed activated Stereo (which sounds pretty decent), and the Spatial demo is just what I imagine Stereo to sound like on headphones for music mastered using speakers, just super wide as if you're standing not in front of the people playing, but half a foot in front of the band (so the people playing on the right and left are pretty distinct, but it's not at all "spatial").

The Weeknd's demo is just cheating.. The levels on the Spatial demo are higher, but it does sound more pleasing.

Question: how are Dolby Atmos mixes created?

Dedicated studios (need lisence and setup from Dolby). After that, you have the engineer do his thing with all the virtual channels in whatever it is Dolby Atmos tools are provided on. These tools should be coming to Logic Pro X later this year.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Its a very different sound for sure yet not an improvement on the original stereo mix whether through my headphones or system, I mostly listen to electronic music from techno such as Plastikman through to Max Richter, nils frahm, craven faults etc, I’ll try atmos at some point once the electronic catalogue gets further releases.

If you like it then great - that’s another musical gem to enjoy, but personally I’ll stick to stereo until I hear something that I consider an improvement.

mSpot

My guess is that Apple Masters means that the song/album comes with a 24-bit sampling rate
"Apple Digital Masters" (previously called "Mastered for iTunes") has been around for years and is not directly related to the new lossless service. Originally it applied to AAC files sold on iTunes that originally came from 24 bit masters and have a high quality AAC mastering.

https://www.apple.com/itunes/docs/apple-digital-masters.pdf
https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/7/20758633/apple-digital-masters-itunes-rebrand-music-quality

gonzoucab

When comparation of files between apple lossless qobuz and tidal_

Top Bottom