• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

Vosya

Never use datasheet to find out something if you already have the measurement from a specific DAC. The differences will be ALWAYS on implementation. Congrats, now you know WHY actual measurements (from DAC itself) are so important.
Don't talk nonsense. Carefully read a couple of pages on this link:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ts-of-topping-d50-dac.2403/page-50#post-94501
After that, try again to assert that the provided "actual measurements" are "reliable measurements".

Vosya

D50 is very different from D50s.
Are you still here? I am waiting for: proof of the quoted statement from you, or recognition of the inaccuracy of measurements from their publishers, whom you are trying to represent.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because the Topping D50s DAC measurements were obviously carried out incorrectly, but no one is in a hurry to admit this and change the conditions of the experiment.
This problem is by no means new:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ts-of-topping-d50-dac.2403/page-49#post-94424
To be fair, nobody really answered your question(s), however, it's not really fair to conclude the measurements were done incorrectly. You don't really know the root cause of why Amir's filter graph doesn't match the ESS specs.

Vosya

You don't really know the root cause of why Amir's filter graph doesn't match the ESS specs.
"I don't know. I should double-check the results." - is that not his replica? Almost 3 years have passed - where was the answer from "science", announced in the title of this site all this time?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"I don't know. I should double-check the results." - is that not his replica? Almost 3 years have passed - where was the answer from "science", announced in the title of this site all this time?
Right, that's my point - we don't know. Did you reach out to Topping?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For what purpose? Make a claim based on data that I do not trust? Come on.
You wouldn't be claiming anything. You would ask Topping if they changed the stop band of the ESS filters within the D50. If they say no, then it's a pretty safe bet that Amir measured the filters incorrectly. If they say yes, they changed the threshold of the stop band, you also have an answer.

Vosya

You wouldn't be claiming anything. You would ask Topping if they changed the stop band of the ESS filters within the D50. If they say no, then it's a pretty safe bet that Amir measured the filters incorrectly. If they say yes, they changed the threshold of the stop band, you also have an answer.
Why do I need it? Your site is announcing an unbiased and informed review. With "non-binding recommendations": "...you have my strong recommendation for Topping D50. It provides superb measured performance with great quality feel.".
Is this all true in the aspect under discussion?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do I need it? Your site is announcing an unbiased and informed review. With "non-binding recommendations": "...you have my strong recommendation for Topping D50. It provides superb measured performance with great quality feel.".
Is this all true in the aspect under discussion?
I'm not your enemy, I was just suggesting ways to get your questions answered. If you want to dismiss the entire review because the filter graphs don't match the ESS spec, that's your prerogative.

Vosya

I'm not your enemy, I was just suggesting ways to get your questions answered. If you want to dismiss the entire review because the filter graphs don't match the ESS spec, that's your prerogative.
The explicitly and rather intrusively recommended specific DAC from Topping does not correspond in the measurements to the specifications of the manufacturer of the main DAC chip. The problem has been voiced, the years go by, the recommendation remains unchanged. It's okay, right?

ivo.f.doma

Hi. I want to ask if the Topping D50S automatically switches the inputs according to the incoming signal, as it turns on and off according to the incoming signal?

sq225917

Major Contributor
If you're bothered that Amir might have botched the test on the basis of numbers from chip fab or device maker then the sensible thing to do is query both chip maker, device manufacturer and Amir without bias or assumption.

Aldoszx

Hi. I want to ask if the Topping D50S automatically switches the inputs according to the incoming signal, as it turns on and off according to the incoming signal?
No, it does not switch automatically the input. You have to do it manually.

sq225917

Major Contributor
I have the A18, plays perfectly, no clicks or pops, all features work, sound quality is as per the spec. The display is crap, far too small, everything else is fine.

Aldoszx

Well thank you. Is any other DAC doing it? From another brand?
And what is the opinion of the quality of Topping vs Gustard devices?
I cannot say apnything about Gustard devices.
Topping E30 does what you are looking for, automatically switch the input.

ivo.f.doma

I cannot say apnything about Gustard devices.
Topping E30 does what you are looking for, automatically switch the input.
Thank you for your response. I'm planning an upgrade, so I'm looking for advice here. The current situation is as follows: I have paid for Amazon Music HD, streamed in two ways to the Pioneer VSX-AX3 receiver (digital inputs maximum 24Bit / 96kHz).
The first way, from a Win10 PC (TosLink capable of up to 24 Bit / 192kHz) via TosLink to the receiver in 24/96 quality.
The second way, from the Samsung Galaxy S20 (LDAC capable, AptX HD not!) Via Bluetooth to AudioEngine B1 (not LDAC capable) in AptX quality and from it the analog RCA stereo output to the receiver.
The new state should be with one device, (therefore the questions go to Topping D50S and Gustard X16) from PC via TosLink to Bluetooth DAC receiver in 24/192 quality and from Samsung Galaxy S20 via Bluetooth DAC in LDAC quality, or via USB cable to Bluetooth DAC in lossless quality and from there to the receiver.
Can you advise me which device meets it best at a price of up to € 500. Ideally, it should turn on automatically when the incoming sound is identified and also automatically switch the appropriate input.
Thank you all for your advice.

Akary

I would need to adjust the channel balance but I saw that on the driver topping there is a volume control but the balance is blocked how come it can be unlocked?

Top Bottom