• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

S.M.S.L Tabebuia

James. B. Lansing

Forum Donor
Dealer
So, none of you prolific commenters have auditioned these speakers? That’s worse than useless. AudioSCIENCEREVIEW, remember. I’d love to read impressions from someone with actual first-hand knowledge.

I have some available for demo if your interested.

Fantastic speakers, punch well beyond their price point and size!

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, none of you prolific commenters have auditioned these speakers? That’s worse than useless. AudioSCIENCEREVIEW, remember. I’d love to read impressions from someone with actual first-hand knowledge.
Why don’t *you* buy a pair, review it yourself, or send it to Amir for review first? Instead of complaining about other people, take the bull by the horns and do it yourself.

jonfitch

490in3 isn't small enough for a "small" monitor IMO, this thing is 20% bigger than a KEF LSX.

Hell if I needed a small monitor in this size range I'd just go 20% bigger and get a used Paradigm S1. A 6" woofer and some actual bass response with a proper waveguide and good flat response out to 75 degrees.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just watched the Thomas and Stereo review. Having never seen Thomas before, I have to say that he is pretty good. I am so sick of YouTube reviewers who are completely full of B.S. (I’m talking to you, Old Vinyl Night, Hansel Beekeeper, and Jack Whito) that it’s refreshing to hear a guy that doesn’t completely spew out audiophile pretension and junk science.

YSC

Major Contributor
Measurements looks decent but being passive means you need an amp for them adding to the 500 euro cost per pair... then at that price... you get the Adam T5V, KRK Rokit 5 G4 at half price or it goes into the Genelec 8020/8030 and Neumann KH80DSP land. don't sounds really competitive to me

Mandy

Don't forget to drop ship this to Amir.;)
Ah. Sorry, new here. He is in WA, USA right? When you last shipped a product to him, did you have custom issues? Did you check with him first or just sent the stuff assuming he'd have time to review it? Did you include return shipment paperwork?

Mandy

Measurements looks decent but being passive means you need an amp for them adding to the 500 euro cost per pair... then at that price... you get the Adam T5V, KRK Rokit 5 G4 at half price or it goes into the Genelec 8020/8030 and Neumann KH80DSP land. don't sounds really competitive to me
Good point. Although I already have a Nord Three Purifi 1ET400A amp on my desk (doubles as monitor stand) so I'm looking for the ultimate passive desktop speaker. Should be interesting.

Reactions: YSC

YSC

Major Contributor
Good point. Although I already have a Nord Three Purifi 1ET400A amp on my desk (doubles as monitor stand) so I'm looking for the ultimate passive desktop speaker. Should be interesting.
True that it would be interesting for a passive, just kind of feels it’s a bold move for a first entry desktop speaker where there is already such intense competition from the big guys

Mandy

If my m400 DAC is anything to go by, SMSL puts a lot of no-nonsense quality into their products. I’m hoping the Tabebuilas will be another example. Best speakers so far in this setup is the current pair of Kef KHR3000 SE. These blew away my Tannoy powered monitors from my home studio. Will also try Genelec monitors for comparison but I doubt any powered solution can compete with good passives and the awesome Purifi amp. We shall see

YSC

Major Contributor
If my m400 DAC is anything to go by, SMSL puts a lot of no-nonsense quality into their products. I’m hoping the Tabebuilas will be another example. Best speakers so far in this setup is the current pair of Kef KHR3000 SE. These blew away my Tannoy powered monitors from my home studio. Will also try Genelec monitors for comparison but I doubt any powered solution can compete with good passives and the awesome Purifi amp. We shall see
The Tannoys are really a let down for a monitor, you should really try the better ones

Mandy

It would be interesting to audition the Genelec Ones. I have a feeling that a point-source coaxial design makes a lot of sense in a near field situation. The Kefs disappear completely.

Mandy

I finally received the SMSL Tabeuia Speakers. After listening for less than 30 minutes I think I can say that my quest for the perfect desktop setup ends here. These work perfectly with the Nord Three Purifi 1ET400A amp, the SMSL m400 DAC hooked up to a Raspberry PI 4 running Ropieee as my desktop Roon Bridge solution, and with my Velodyne HGS 12 Direct Drive subwoofer under the desk filling out the down-low. The TW022WA04 Wavecor tweeter is so sweet. Manu Katché Keep On Tripping MQA, the track I always use as a reference, comes out satisfyingly detailed and sorted. Going to do some more comparison listening on the same tracks on my big rig B&W Nautilus 804s, but for a desktop setup this exceeds my expectations.

IMG_2672.png

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I finally received the SMSL Tabeuia Speakers. After listening for less than 30 minutes I think I can say that my quest for the perfect desktop setup ends here. These work perfectly with the Nord Three Purifi 1ET400A amp, the SMSL m400 DAC hooked up to a Raspberry PI 4 running Ropieee as my desktop Roon Bridge solution, and with my Velodyne HGS 12 Direct Drive subwoofer under the desk filling out the down-low. The TW022WA04 Wavecor tweeter is so sweet. Manu Katché Keep On Tripping MQA, the track I always use as a reference, comes out satisfyingly detailed and sorted. Going to do some more comparison listening on the same tracks on my big rig B&W Nautilus 804s, but for a desktop setup this exceeds my expectations.

I like it! Impressive desk rig for sure. :)

James. B. Lansing

Forum Donor
Dealer

Should try them with the new S.M.S.L / VMN A-1 amplifier

all I can say is wow..

Top Bottom