• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Most likely reason is sighted (unconscious) bias and/or small volume differences.

He did some uncontrolled comparisons. Then did some incompetent measurements using the wrong tool. Voila, an audiophile legend!

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
He did some uncontrolled comparisons. Then did some incompetent measurements using the wrong tool. Voila, an audiophile legend!
I rest my case. ; )

Fortunately there are others willing to teach instead of pure dismissal.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Fair point, but would you still enjoy the movie if Neo tried to argue with Morpheus for hours before taking the blue pill in the end?
You got it in the wrong order: this is having seen the movie, followed by 200,000 people discussing the movie endlessly.

oursmagenta

Forum Donor
I prefer the highs of one dac (used for a couple months) over the highs of a brand new DAC. I wonder why. Legit question?
If it was done in a blind abx controlled environment with enough data (like not just one single abx blind testing, but a series of them on multiple audio inputs and type of input) and enough statistical meaning (guessing right say half of the time for ab testing simply means in terms of relevance that it is equivalent coin tossing, which translates into zero relevance) then next step would be do the same with a sampling of people.

What you would endup doing is basically trying to come with a scientific paper, that would need then to be peer reviewed.

This is the way.

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I rest my case. ; )
Well, you did use measurements, so touché!
To be clear, the establishment here has no issue with personal preferences that perhaps don't measure as well. It's just when one claims something is "definitely better because I heard it" or "unmeasurable, but I know" implying that it would be the case for all that will get push back and scrutiny. Because it's a naive and uninformed position.

Robin L

Master Contributor
The Blue pill doesn't mean going back to the delusional dream?
We don't know what we don't know. All options could be a delusional dream.

If they have you asking wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.

There are some things we will never know.
5b2c338e4488b300092702c6-original.png

oursmagenta

Forum Donor
I'm saying that when most people hear the term objectivist, they hear a halo of superiority. I know I do.
To be honest, you may definitely be right. But that is simply because we have science in our side. And by science I don't mean set in stone truth. But set in stone methodology.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After reading this all and rereading the thread's title, I am wondering why it has 43 pages of answers.
We could have make a whole shorter could we not ?

Message to golden-eared audiophiles : there is no such thing as golden ears

And maybe add : "If you think you have golden ears, my message to you : Humility does not hurt".

Regards.

What is exactly you don't like about golden ears ?

1616257657665.png

Robh3606

I think it's a mistake to just trash another persons subjective impressions. That is after all what they hear so it is real to them. There are many out there who are simply new to this hobby and their opinion's are based on what they have read or been taught by friends. There is also real attitude by many about science in general which doesn't help matters.

Rob :)

oursmagenta

Forum Donor
I think it's a mistake to just trash another persons subjective impressions. That is after all what they hear so it is real to them. There are many out there who are simply new to this hobby and their opinion's are based on what they have read or been taught by friends. There is also real attitude by many about science in general which doesn't help matters.

Agreed. But is there another way?

We can discuss ad nauseam of personal impressions, perceptions. It doesn't make them sound/relevant in terms of truth seeking if all these human data points are not embedded in a methodological framework.

N.B: replace ad nauseam by all day long. Ad nauseam may be too strong/harsh.

Last edited:

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great point, I think we must distinguish and not conflate 2 related issues: (#1) a person who claims to hear amazing music from his speakers and (#2) that same claim being interpreted to be a speaker recommendation wherein you will share that praiseworthy experience. People should rightly question the merit of #2 but sadly, the recipient of the criticism ends up responding as if #1 was in question. I don't believe #1 should ever be in question but we should always limit its value when applied to #2.

I believe conflating these two issues is why innocent sounding comments suddenly receive personal attacks. The OP says #1 and people hear #2, and respond accordingly, while the OP is wondering why his subjective impressions are questioned.

righthookmike

For me personally I want to learn. Before I give my opinion on anything else on this site on a piece of hardware I am willing to adhere to the standards commonly agreed on. I just don’t understand why some take personal offense to the point of resorting to insults and are unwilling to even consider there may be something they’re missing. I think that we can only measure sound as we understand it at this time and that there are aspects we have yet to learn. But I respect others opinions and try to take them into consideration and want to learn what they know to increase my own knowledge.. I would think it gives us are best chance for discovery.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Robin L

Master Contributor
Top Bottom