• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the speaker of your dreams?

Thunder22

Long time listener, first time caller,

Back in the early 2000's I demo'd a set of Paradigm Reference Active Studio 40's that completely melted my face, changed me, and I have been hooked ever since. Unfortunately I was unable to afford them so I ended up buying the passive Studio 40's V2. I think they have held their own over the years but I still dream of that active pair.

So anyway, I would like to know what speaker you dream of?

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Sound Lab Ultimate 745. Priced like a new BMW. Huge. Heavy. Probably wouldn't measure as well as a Genelec at 1/10th the price, but I've always had a crush on Sound Lab electrostatics, and they say the 745 is the best they've got.

Robin L

Master Contributor
The transducers of my dreams [microphones and loudspeakers] have no physical mass, no paper or plastic diaphragms, only the the mass of the air moved via forces not presently known, with flexible dispersion patterns, from hypercardioid to omni and all points between.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Probably Barefoot MM26s.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Gary Kaufman has 'em. Not the most expensive nor even the most impressive sounding loudspeakers I've every heard, but a pair of A5s kitted out like this particular pair would satisfy me forever (even without the Altec subwoofers made from a split 210A cabinet and a pair of 515Bs).

1614733758427.png

They'd fit in my room, but I don't think I could get them into my room... so I am pretty darned satisfied with the Frankenaltecs I am currently rockin'.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
If we are imagining things, a holodeck like Star Trek TNG.

If we are imagining things that could exist with known technology, next gen Focal Stellia Utopia with walnut veneer, and a moulded ivory colored advanced baffle like the Kanta no. 3 has.

Speakers that exist, probably Focal Kanta no. 3

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

noname

Dream speakers that I can afford
Passive - KEF Reference 3
Active - Adam S3V

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My diy, no-compromise speakers are my dream, NOTHING ELSE.
No Sonus Faber Aida, no B&W Nautilus, no Tannoy Kingdom Royal, no MBL 101, no Gryphon KODO, no KEF Reference 5, no Dynaudio Evidence Platinum, no TAD Reference One.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did a round UK and France search for my "last ever" speakers in the 1990s listening to speakers with good reputations and also ones I liked the styling of, hoping my favourite looking would sound best to me.
Sadly some of the speakers with towering reputations were a disappointment and the ones I like the look of most were not the best sounding.
I am not familiar with most more recent speakers because I have been avoiding temptation, apart from scratching an itch for horns. The horns I chose look great IMO and despite being huge work well in corners using the walls and floor as pseudo extentions of the bass horn.
OTOH I still like the ones I chose almost 25 years ago best.

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Top Bottom