• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WARNING: Many people selling their faulty Topping L30 amplifiers in eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

One time I had to get some guy from China to send a replacement, the guy needed me to take a video of me destroying the product.
See, this would actually have been better than nothing. It's much more difficult to counterfeit a video of some guy destroying an amp than a simple picture.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It is very simple. You need to enforce the destruction of the faulty units, which can be clearly identified by a serial number. It appears that you tried to do that in the beginning by having people send pictures of smashed units, but that is obviously so easy to counterfeit (using Photoshop or the like) that you probably gave up and didn't look for a better way to check that users were actually destroying the units.
You can't enforce it. Simple as that. It was already asked and many cases the seller won't ship the new unit before seeing destruction. But do you know how much backlash it already created? What can you say when they say I won't destroy my unit until I received the new one. It's either not sending and another one shouting on the internet, or still preceding sending it to make the customer happy?

Helicopter

Major Contributor
One time I had to get some guy from China to send a replacement, the guy needed me to take a video of me destroying the product.
I sent lots and lots of pictures and emails on a shuguang sg-845-7 tube amp I bought for $1540, but still no way that thing was going back for repair. They sent me replacement sockets and called it a day. i have no problem with this. If it was made in the US, i would have expected them to fix it, and I would have paid more.

... but this is a $130 item. Topping has better stuff to do on this one.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
No, it is not the best you can do. The best you can do is to have users ship the units back to you or to a third party that you can contract in the US. Of course, you will lose more money in doing so, but you will get some peace of mind.
You simply can't ask all customers to do anything. It's not possible.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

If they are going to ship them someplace, I agree I would ship them in the US and have someone destroy them here. Probably not worth it for that either though. I best most of the people on the recall were honest even if a few dozen were scummy. No idea how many people actually got new units in the US, so just a guess. When I ran a store on ebay years ago, there were a few bad apples, but it was overall a very good community.
Yeah, I imagine with the hundreds of fauly L30 units around most people will be responsible. The problem is the few that act like utter scumbags. Even that guy that posted the $175 auction with the new and the old defective unit is committing some sort of a fraud, when you think about it. For more reasons than one (not honoring his promise to destroy the faulty unit in order to make a profit, and actually selling an unit whose safety he doesn't trust for himself to somebody else).

Tks

Major Contributor
No, it is not the best you can do. The best you can do is to have users ship the units back to you or to a third party that you can contract in the US. Of course, you will lose more money in doing so, but you will get some peace of mind.

Might as well have told him "go on eBay and keep buying back any units that pop up"..

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

You simply can't ask all customers to do anything. It's not possible.
Yes, you can. Just have people send you the defective units before you send out the replacement unit. As a matter of fact, you could have retrofitted the original units and save some money in the process (though I understand that the material cost of an L30 is much less than shipping a brick from China to the US, as you already told me earlier).

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yes, you can. Just have people send you the defective units before you send out the replacement unit. As a matter of fact, you could have retrofitted the original units and save some money in the process (though I understand that the material cost of an L30 is much less than shipping a brick from China to the US, as you already told me earlier).
It was already the case since day one.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Second part is false completely. Shipping cost is more than the cost of the unit. Also you can't import used good into China. Not possible. Don't act like you know all this. Just stop.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Imagine if somebody gets injured or some more serious property damage takes place arising from one of those units.

What is the issue? And what harm could happen?

I haven't followed all of L30 thread.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

You can't enforce it. Simple as that. It was already asked and many cases the seller won't ship the new unit before seeing destruction. But do you know how much backlash it already created? What can you say when they say I won't destroy my unit until I received the new one. It's either not sending and another one shouting on the internet, or still preceding sending it to make the customer happy?
I think in your situation I would focus on making customers safe as opposed to making them happy. Happy people can still get injured.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

Second part is false completely. Shipping cost is more than the cost of the unit. Also you can't import used good into China. Not possible. Don't act like you know all this. Just stop.
What do you mean that you can't import used goods into China. Can't I sell a used amplifier to somebody in Shanghai if I want to? I wasn't aware of that, could you elaborate?

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If 10 people do the wrong thing and resell units that should have been destroyed maybe it is easier for Topping to fix things for the ebay buyers who got screwed.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
What do you mean that you can't import used goods into China. Can't I sell a used amplifier to somebody in Shanghai if I want to? I wasn't aware of that, could you elaborate?
It just can't go through the customs. One unit maybe, but more than 4-6 unit or so is just not possible.

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

He's just exaggerating it.
I only know what I read here and in some other forums. Didn't you replace all L30 units with serial numbers below 2012 free of charge? All I know is that some people lost expensive headphones, but that nobody was hurt. That doesn't mean that a faulty L30 couldn't cause injury. I guess having a driver blow up while you are wearing your headphones is at least potentially risky.

BillH

Forum Donor
Why the new member with 25 posts bashing?

OP
Blank Verse

Blank Verse

It just can't go through the customs. One unit maybe, but more than 4-6 unit or so is just not possible.
Then you could contract a third party in the US to destroy the units for you. It is that simple, and it would have been cheaper than sending them to China. In the US we have companies that actually process e-waste, and it must be a lucrative business, since there are lots of them.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I only know what I read here and in some other forums. Didn't you replace all L30 units with serial numbers below 2012 free of charge? All I know is that some people lost expensive headphones, but that nobody was hurt. That doesn't mean that a faulty L30 couldn't cause injury. I guess having a driver blow up while you are wearing your headphones is at least potentially risky.
It outputs a couple of watts maximum, it only makes headphones warm at most. Headphones can be destroyed but it is far cry from hurting anyone physically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom