• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bargain DAC Suggestions?

Veri

Master Contributor
It uses the ES9038PRO DAC, instead of the stripped-down Q2M version used in the Topping products (DX7s, D50). It would be nice to see whether the full 9038 chip (which cost signficantly more and uses much more power than the more common Q2M) adds any significant difference.

The DAC itself is also interesting, since it allows adjusting the chip parameters (dither, jitter reduction), has I2S support, provides adjustable impedance for the head amp (starting from 0 ohms, on the contrary to DX7s' high impedance) and outputs more power than the Pro-Ject S2 (through the OPA1622 buffer). The opamp and clocks are also user-replaceable.

Interesting.

Edit: There's also the HIFIME UDA38PRO DAC in similar price range, and more expensive: OPPO Sonica DAC / various Audio-GD DACs using it.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That's good info guys. Made me interested. :) Alas they are quite pricey and if I am going to test one, it needs to be a popular one. So let me know which has the highest interest among c0mmunity.

That's good info guys. Made me interested. :) Alas they are quite pricey and if I am going to test one, it needs to be a popular one. So let me know which has the highest interest among c0mmunity.

On a similar price as the Topping offerings I think only the Melokin is available now. It was 300$ on pre-order but now it is 360$ plus USB. I found a recent review here, albeit on the subjective side.
Maybe if you contact them and show your technical background they may offer you one unit to test. If it measures good, I'm sure the community will start considering it as they did for the Topping DX7.

The HIFIME will be available in a few weeks and it is cheaper but it is more focused on being portable than on providing the best possible implementation of the DAC. Also, it is to be seen whether it is able to properly power a chip as power hungry chip as the 9038PRO just with the USB data connection. The head amp is also weaker.

AudioGD DACs look good but at a much higher price, I'm affraid.

duo8

Do you have measurements of portable DAC+amp units?
If you want to start measuring them I suggest the fiio Q1mkII, topping nx2 and nx4

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks. I prefer to buy the equipment than getting it for free. So I contacted them to see if they will provide a discount as to make it more palatable to purchase. Will post back if they respond favorably.

Reactions: trl
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Do you have measurements of portable DAC+amp units?
If you want to start measuring them I suggest the fiio Q1mkII, topping nx2 and nx4
I have a few I have purchased and one on loan which I have yet to measure. The ones I have purchases are the Fiio A3 and Sabaj DA3.

I do hear a lot about Topping nx4 though. So once I dig my way out of all the gear I have to review that are sitting next to my bench :), I will consider getting that.

Keep the input coming though. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Believe it or not someone already sent me one from Europe to test for the same reason! I will review it about Audioquest Dragonfly soon....

Jimster480

Major Contributor
A
May I suggest the Melokin DA9.1 DAC+head amp?

http://www.qlshifi.com/en/wzcapi/da9.1.htm

It uses the ES9038PRO DAC, instead of the stripped-down Q2M version used in the Topping products (DX7s, D50). It would be nice to see whether the full 9038 chip (which cost signficantly more and uses much more power than the more common Q2M) adds any significant difference.

The DAC itself is also interesting, since it allows adjusting the chip parameters (dither, jitter reduction), has I2S support, provides adjustable impedance for the head amp (starting from 0 ohms, on the contrary to DX7s' high impedance) and outputs more power than the Pro-Ject S2 (through the OPA1622 buffer). The opamp and clocks are also user-replaceable.
Audio GD is using it, and my Friend has a Oppo Sonica and it also uses the 9038Pro.
There are a few other products around too.
I wouldn't really bet on it being that much better as the 9038 already shows to be a negligible improvement against a 9018... but who knows.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I have a few I have purchased and one on loan which I have yet to measure. The ones I have purchases are the Fiio A3 and Sabaj DA3.

I do hear a lot about Topping nx4 though. So once I dig my way out of all the gear I have to review that are sitting next to my bench :), I will consider getting that.

Keep the input coming though. :)
I'm going to get a NX4 or a NX4 DSD, so I can probably loan it to you by the time you finish going through all the gear you already have!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The Monoprice amp is using an inferior spec'ed THX AAA 788 amp ASIC chipset than the Massdrop one (THX AAA 798). From what I gather, spec-wise 798 is closer to the higher-end (but power hungry) 888 but is nearly as efficient as 788.
I noticed this too, I ordered the Massdrop Amp; but the shipping date is Oct 31st.

sssn

Yeah, that would be a nice comparison. Chord and iFi are pretty popular when it comes to mid-/high-end portable audio

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My headphone cable has TRS connector with 4 wires to the drivers.

So, that's a configuration conveniently not mentioned in the iFi explanation.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I can't make sense out of it. They are saying that to make a balanced amp, you take the positive output and then run it through an inverting amplifier. That is not the way balanced amps work. They use an inverting and non-inverting amplifiers from the same source.

Dimitri

I can't make sense out of it
It's "S-balanced technology. Balanced but not as we know it."

"It's pure magic"

There...understand that :)

PS: You should probably measure it first and then we can rant on their "version" of balanced.
As for the Amir / Listen switch (err.. I mean measure/listen switch), VW would have loved to have a Smog test / Drive switch :)

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ground is ground is ground, unless the background color behind the symbol changes. #nailedit

My initial thought was "OK, star grounding, whatever...but those star grounds have to be connected to each other somewhere."

Last edited:
Top Bottom