• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Owners feedback...

Pankar0

Hello guys, I m planning to order the x16 and I want to ask you if someone testing with the app Usb Audio player pro .. via usb otg cable?? Any issues.??
My only source for now is my Samsung Note 20 ultra smartphone and I m listening mostly Tidal mqa with the ifi idsd signature.
Please someone to check it for me ..
Thanks in advance.

BHazard

Hello guys, I m planning to order the x16 and I want to ask you if someone testing with the app Usb Audio player pro .. via usb otg cable?? Any issues.??
My only source for now is my Samsung Note 20 ultra smartphone and I m listening mostly Tidal mqa with the ifi idsd signature.
Please someone to check it for me ..
Thanks in advance.

Happy to report that if you choose "Bit Perfect" in UAPP, Tidal and MQA works without issue. It skips and has issues unless you choose it. Used my Galaxy S21 Ultra as a source. Shows MQA on the DAC so the HW is decoding it.

Pankar0

Happy to report that if you choose "Bit Perfect" in UAPP, Tidal and MQA works without issue. It skips and has issues unless you choose it. Used my Galaxy S21 Ultra as a source. Shows MQA on the DAC so the HW is decoding it.
Thank you for your help, I just place an order and I can't wait ..!!!!

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can the X16 send sound (transmit) to a Bluetooth headphone directly, like Sony's XM3? I can't find a way to do it. The only thing I see is to add Gustard BT as a source to my PC, but that would still make me have to use a headphone wired to my amp.

When you use a Bluetooth headset, D/A conversion and amplification occur inside the headset. There is really no need to have an external DAC like the X16. You can just have your PC transmit the signal to the headset. (Or use a transmitter if you want a different codec.)

Oukkidoukki

I tested UAPP MQA Tidal from Oneplus 8 thru usb vs pc usb..........take this as you like, but I felt that sound from phone was not as good..........more packed and pointy, not as airy as pc.......ears got tired........in the end , I end up liking aptx bluetooth set up most cause pc had fans.........even though they are quiet ones , they mess up the sound stage a bit......

Dannemand

UAPP (if set to bit-perfect) will give you a pristine USB feed into the DAC. There should be no difference between that and the feed from the PC -- unless one of them is configured incorrectly, or uses a bad cable or adapter.

And both of them will definitely beat bluetooth, which objectively reduces the quality of the stream. How much depends on the phone and its settings.

Oukkidoukki

Yeah, cable was different cause phone has usb c and pc has normal one......so that might do something......what comes to bluetooth , yes its inferior.....but if usb solutions includes backround noise from machines it can then lift overall sinad and end up inferior solution...

Dannemand

Sure, I understand about a noisy environment when you want to listen to music.

curiouspeter

Yeah, cable was different cause phone has usb c and pc has normal one......so that might do something......what comes to bluetooth , yes its inferior.....but if usb solutions includes backround noise from machines it can then lift overall sinad and end up inferior solution...

The USB on the Pi 4 is just fine. If you want something cleaner there is a Allo USBridge. Or you can get a Roon Ready DAC and bypass USB altogether.

I will not resort to Bluetooth.

Oukkidoukki

Yes , I would love to make that pi 4 system......if i can then control it with phone.......however I might be too stupid to fit all parts together and i guess i need monitor too...........it should feel easier..

curiouspeter

Yes , I would love to make that pi 4 system......if i can then control it with phone.......however I might be too stupid to fit all parts together and i guess i need monitor too...........it should feel easier..
I am really bad with putting things together, but I managed to build one in about 1 hour. :)

I highly recommend Roon. It's not free but I think the value proposition is there.

Volumio is free/cheap depending on whether you want easy Tidal/Qobuz integration.

glucos

Forum Donor
When you use a Bluetooth headset, D/A conversion and amplification occur inside the headset. There is really no need to have an external DAC like the X16. You can just have your PC transmit the signal to the headset. (Or use a transmitter if you want a different codec.)
Looking for an MQA DAC attached to PC via USB that can ALSO double as an LDAC BT transmitter for use with BT headphones. It sounds like the X 16 is not it. :(

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
I should expect the display to come on immediately, right?

Guess it is DOA. :(
Check voltage switch first;
Make sure power cable plugged in firmly;
When turn it on, you should see the logo appear first;
good luck.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
There is a voltage switch? It is not in the back or at the bottom.
It is between the USB input and power plugin.

20210217_100126.jpg

Top Bottom