• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon 1.8

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I hate to say it but it is bothering the heck out of me too! :) It is such a sparse white UI and then tons of this one color. Must have been someone's favorite or something.
It is not as bad as Mac OS Big Sur, where things are simply invisible until you happen to land on them.

Sukie

Forum Donor
I hate to say it but it is bothering the heck out of me too! :) It is such a sparse white UI and then tons of this one color. Must have been someone's favorite or something.
I have a theory.;)

Somebody high up the Roon chain of command had joined a book club during lockdown. This book club was reading novels by Alice Walker and the Roon boss told the developers that he/she really liked The Colour Purple. The rest is history.:)

Last edited:

Sukie

Forum Donor
On a previous thread I speculated that a reinstall of 1.7 would be possible if the 1.7 Installer Apps (including Android - not possible with Apple) were downloaded and kept. At the time we thought that this wouldn't be possible.

However, I can confirm that it is. I have the old downloads and, for fun, I reinstalled 1.7. It worked, although there was the expected "Update Now" notification.

I'm happy with 1.8 so I've subsequently reinstalled that!

Reactions: GDK

mkt

I thought it would be interesting to compare the interfaces of Roon, Apple Music, Tidal, and Spotify. I guess it depends upon whether you prefer purple, red, teal, or green. ;)
How do you make it dark? I’m on Mac and iPhone.

PS. I asked google without success and I’m too scared of the snark/mansplaining to ask on the Roon forum.

GDK

Forum Donor

PS. I asked google without success and I’m too scared of the snark/mansplaining to ask on the Roon forum.
It’s not obvious, but you go to Settings->Setup->Theme and set it to Dark.

Sukie

Forum Donor
I do know what you mean, but there are some helpful forum members over on Roon. The difficulty is that there are always so many new threads popping up all the time so a question can be easily missed.

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor

5AF7D8E1-076B-43C6-8958-F4B0A2AF5162.jpeg

Reactions: mkt

bribur

Forum Donor
1.8 won't even launch for me and I don't have old launchers to go back to 1.7. I posted logs in the support thread as requested by the Roon tech but no response so far after a couple of days. It looks like that's not a common problem but there are a lot of crashes reported and at least 4 no starts like I have. If you haven't upgraded, hold off for a few days, they must be overwhelmed at this point in case you run into a problem.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
On a previous thread I speculated that a reinstall of 1.7 would be possible if the 1.7 Installer Apps (including Android - not possible with Apple) were downloaded and kept. At the time we thought that this wouldn't be possible.

However, I can confirm that it is. I have the old downloads and, for fun, I reinstalled 1.7. It worked, although there was the expected "Update Now" notification.

I'm happy with 1.8 so I've subsequently reinstalled that!

Thats a result then. So the old installer package from the site installs a specific version, not necessarily the latest?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
General questions and observations. Not necessarily 1.8 related but hey

Dark mode- how do I do it on W10 and/or Android?

Artist/ new album recommendations in the Home tab- useless. I have a decent sized library across a few genres and many decades and they have over a year of library and play info from me. They recommend artists that a) are music 101 and b) I have tonnes of their stuff in my library already (Im talking Stones and Dylan level )

Roon Radio (working now since the 1.8 deluge killed it)- too linear. I want it to recommend artists/ albums that fill in blanks in my whole Library- not just soundalikes and obvious relationships between bands. Start RR from a Nirvana track and you can probably guess the next 20. It throws up the odd gems but not enough to make RR a realistic listening/ exploration method.

Sukie

Forum Donor
It's in the same place as iphone and mac (see above screenshot).

I can't help with the other questions I'm afraid.
Thats a result then. So the old installer package from the site installs a specific version, not necessarily the latest?
It would appear so. The old APK files for 1.7 on Android also work. So Roon is able to "go backwards", with a little planning. Not possible with Apple though, so I believe.

GDK

Forum Donor
General questions and observations. Not necessarily 1.8 related but hey

Artist/ new album recommendations in the Home tab- useless. I have a decent sized library across a few genres and many decades and they have over a year of library and play info from me. They recommend artists that a) are music 101 and b) I have tonnes of their stuff in my library already (Im talking Stones and Dylan level )

Roon Radio (working now since the 1.8 deluge killed it)- too linear. I want it to recommend artists/ albums that fill in blanks in my whole Library- not just soundalikes and obvious relationships between bands. Start RR from a Nirvana track and you can probably guess the next 20. It throws up the odd gems but not enough to make RR a realistic listening/ exploration method.
For better or worse, Valence (which power Roon Radio) is determined based on the listening characteristics of other Roon users. That's why you get the thumbs up/down option after it chooses each song - was that a good choice or not? All of that information is compiled and used to make future recommendations. As a result, it is unlikely ever to be the curated list that you are looking for. If a bunch of other users thought that Soundgarden was a good choice after a Nirvana song, then that is what it will keep serving up - which is why you end up hearing a bunch of obvious choices. It works much better for exploring genres you are less familiar with.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's in the same place as iphone and mac (see above screenshot).

Well damn me, I was looking in there and clean missed it obviously. I even searched the forum for "dark mode" and got nothing.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For better or worse, Valence (which power Roon Radio) is determined based on the listening characteristics of other Roon users. That's why you get the thumbs up/down option after it chooses each song - was that a good choice or not? All of that information is compiled and used to make future recommendations. As a result, it is unlikely ever to be the curated list that you are looking for. If a bunch of other users thought that Soundgarden was a good choice after a Nirvana song, then that is what it will keep serving up - which is why you end up hearing a bunch of obvious choices. It works much better for exploring genres you are less familiar with.

Makes sense- Im an awkward bugger, I dont like thumbs up or thumbs down, thats me working for them . I'm paying for voodoo ;-)

( I jest, I rarely use algorithmic recs on anything although Spotify Release Radar is pretty bang on). I read bios and review sites and discover far more that way.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Makes sense- Im an awkward bugger, I dont like thumbs up or thumbs down, thats me working for them . I'm paying for voodoo ;-)

( I jest, I rarely use algorithmic recs on anything although Spotify Release Radar is pretty bang on). I read bios and review sites and discover far more that way.
I'm with you on this one. Roon Radio has thrown up a few gems, but I tend to read around and see what grabs my attention.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Thank you so much - now I have a largely greyscale interface which I love:
No problem.

I would back up your configuration outside of the original Roon file as an update may reset things back to purple! It's just a case of making a copy of the relevant file.

Top Bottom