• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Roon 1.8

Zensō

Major Contributor
Roon 1.8 dropped today. I’m enjoying the fresh look and new features so far...

E9FACCE6-ACEE-4DF5-9D75-BF327ECEFEB5.jpeg

win

Wish Roon would integrate with more services, like sonos does (for free forever).

if they could fix that and intermittent dropouts, especially streaming over WiFi, that should be first priority.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just upgraded and my Android Roon is complaining about "unexpected library error" and "limiting to radio." :(

Android Roon has been broken for me for months. Hopefully it starts to work now.

Apparently, you are supposed to update the apps *before* updating the core. What a weird thing to tell your customers.

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
Android Roon has been broken for me for months. Hopefully it starts to work now.

Apparently, you are supposed to update the apps *before* updating the core. What a weird thing to tell your customers.
At least on iOS, updating and running the controller app triggers the core update. It does seem unusual, though I guess it sort of makes sense in this instance.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just upgraded and my Android Roon is complaining about "unexpected library error" and "limiting to radio." :(

Mine seems to have upgraded fine but this was my concern (and always is ) with a major revision- if something doesnt go well, there seems to be no way back to previous version and (I think ) your backups done on 1.7 wont restore to 1.8.

They should allow a roll back window after a major update IMHO

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Everything I am seeing seems to be cosmetic thus far. They have a year + worth of history from me now and the "recommended new release" section in "Home" lost my interest after the first row.

Slobmw

Forum Donor
The iOS app crashed a few times as I was scrolling through my artist list on first use. But an iPad restart seems to have stabilized it. I/w seems fine, and the classical metadata appears to be better, as advertised.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OK- they have f**cked up the best feature of Roon . Full library shuffle. I have around 5000 albums/ 50000 tracks in my library. In 1.7 and previous hitting Shuffle in the album/ track views would start what appeared to be a pretty good shuffle from all corners of my collection.

Now, it seems to pick the first 5000 tracks from whichever view you have it in (so , for albums -date added- newest, it will pick the first 5000 tracks from the newest added 500 or so albums and shuffle those). This is something of a problem for me. Ditto if you sort by Artist name it will barely get into the "B" before it taps out.

How on earth do they expect this to throw up gems from the oldest parts of my library (or indeed, artists in the "middle" of the alphabet)?

mash

I updated my controller (windows) and core (nuc/Rock) first....through auto updates. That went fine without issue. Next up was my ipad and iphone apps....both of those updated without issue. Starting to use the new version now. No problems so far although I'm a newer Roon user, so I'm not as sensitvie to changes.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm enjoying it so far. The new Android interface is great. Slow loading metadata at present, but this is down to high usage of servers and should be rectified shortly, apparently. I must admit that I do use Roon in a rather conservative way - one album, played from beginning to end and occasional use of Roon Radio. If they messed that up, it really would have been "Goodnight Vienna"!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm enjoying it so far. The new Android interface is great. Slow loading metadata at present, but this is down to high usage of servers and should be rectified shortly, apparently. I must admit that I do use Roon in a rather conservative way - one album, played from beginning to end and occasional use of Roon Radio. If they messed that up, it really would have been "Goodnight Vienna"!

Roon Radio is not working for me. Crashes and limits to Library only. Hopefully a short term issue with infrastructure demand but that doesnt explain them buggering up Shuffle, as I state above. Really not impressed. I think they wanted to streamline it and make it less of a RAM hog

OP
Zensō

Zensō

Major Contributor
OK- they have f**cked up the best feature of Roon . Full library shuffle. I have around 5000 albums/ 50000 tracks in my library. In 1.7 and previous hitting Shuffle in the album/ track views would start what appeared to be a pretty good shuffle from all corners of my collection.

Now, it seems to pick the first 5000 tracks from whichever view you have it in (so , for albums -date added- newest, it will pick the first 5000 tracks from the newest added 500 or so albums and shuffle those). This is something of a problem for me. Ditto if you sort by Artist name it will barely get into the "B" before it taps out.

How on earth do they expect this to throw up gems from the oldest parts of my library (or indeed, artists in the "middle" of the alphabet)?
I’ve never actually tried this. You have me curious now. Bummer that it’s not working properly...

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Updated and Android app still can't connect to core. iOS apps have always worked for me.

SKBubba

Bookmarks are broken. They apparently changed focus used to build dynamically updated bookmarks from "or" inclusion to "and" inclusion with no notice or workaround. This breaks bookmarks and fundamentally changes how I use roon.

Also, roon radio no longer seems to include tracks from streaming unless they are already in your library.

Not sure about the thoroughness of their beta testing.

Sukie

Forum Donor

GDK

Forum Donor
I’ve had the beta since last week. There are definitely some bugs that need to be fixed quickly and some frankly odd choices made, but, in general, I quite like it (maybe because none of the things they have removed affect me). I think the whole design is far more intuitive now and the ability to explore artists and genres (aka disappear down rabbit holes) is greatly enhanced. Maybe not quite the gigantic leap forward that people were expecting, but to me it is much improved.

Top Bottom