• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Robin L

Master Contributor

Robin L

Master Contributor
What ASR really needs is more posters with experiences with hallucinogens.
This might explain how I wound up with that quantum purifier.

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Yeah kind of spooky ... when one state changes, the other entangled state too follows it's behavior :p
Quantum entanglement freaks me out.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Ask your doctor if Thorazine is right for you.

R7e43ed89d4fe0a791687c72b14fe10e5.jpg

JSmith

Master Contributor
Mate you're not alone... it even freaked out Einstein, spooky action at a distance. It's clear we have only a rudimentary understanding of reality... how this relates to an amp or pair of speakers though is a bit beyond me. o_O

JSmith

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What ASR really needs is more posters with experiences with hallucinogens.
If you really want a component/treatment that gives you that “holy shit”/veils from my eyes/Prat/revealing of detail/etc. experience, may I suggest about 5mg of thc? It’s much less expensive than almost anything else discussed herein, even phone calls from Geoff Kait. And it’s legal in many states.

it may even bring the wife running out of the kitchen to ask what you changed or just say “whoa”. In all likelihood she will also bring the best brownies and ice cream you’ve ever tasted.

Highly recommended

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
But I do sometimes wonder if an objectivist hears no difference between components, whether that too might be explained by expectation bias?

Absolutely. I'd even go as far as to say that the only way of becoming a 100% objectivist is to remove yourself from the equation. We are all subjectivists, and we all have frequent moments in our lives where the line between anxiety and annoyance blurs. Doesn't really matter whether it's BS poetry or sky high SINAD numbers that makes us hear or not hear things.

I agree with the those who say that the whole idea of dividing people into two groups of "objectivists" and "subjectivists" is complete nonsense.

The hobby seems to be centered around a hunt for a personal realization of a "perfect" playback system. Sometimes (or most of the time?) the hunt itself becomes the thing that makes the hobby worthwhile. Sometimes you'd like the hunt to be as short and effective as possible, and objectivism is a good tool for that, even though it won't make you immune to subjectivism... thankfully.

murraycamp

Forum Donor

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely. I'd even go as far as to say that the only way of becoming a 100% objectivist is to remove yourself from the equation. We are all subjectivists, and we all have frequent moments in our lives where the line between anxiety and annoyance blurs. Doesn't really matter whether it's BS poetry or sky high SINAD numbers that makes us hear or not hear things.

I agree with the those who say that the whole idea of dividing people into two groups of "objectivists" and "subjectivists" is complete nonsense.

The hobby seems to be centered around a hunt for a personal realization of a "perfect" playback system. Sometimes (or most of the time?) the hunt itself becomes the thing that makes the hobby worthwhile. Sometimes you'd like the hunt to be as short and effective as possible, and objectivism is a good tool for that, even though it won't make you immune to subjectivism... thankfully.
Yes, I'm sure you're right. Audiophile enjoyment comes from the hunt for perfect sound, not the achievement of it, (fortunately impossible).

Audiophiles tend to delude themselves about improvements that various components can make. For instance, that cables can make a "huge difference" to the sound is a silly meme, IMO.

On the other hand it's an objectivist meme that "all amplifiers sound the same". It would be quite a stretch to insist that a insist that a 300B tube amp sounds like a Purifi 1ET400A.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
On the other hand it's an objectivist meme that "all amplifiers sound the same". It would be quite a stretch to insist that a insist that a 300B tube amp sounds like a Purifi 1ET400A.

Which is why no-one says such a thing.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I'm sure you're right. Audiophile enjoyment comes from the hunt for perfect sound, not the achievement of it, (fortunately impossible).

Audiophiles tend to delude themselves about improvements that various components can make. For instance, that cables can make a "huge difference" to the sound is a silly meme, IMO.

The underlying assumption is that all amplifiers are sane designs done according to the accumulated knowledge we have.
And not driven above their limitations . You simply need to say stuff like "all amplifiers sound the same" with qualifications .

They actually should sound the same" if FR is flat, output impedance is very low and thd is reasonably low and noise is low"

Sadly high end audio is not that :D the performance at the top is often far worse than the cheapest wallmart DVD player you can get.
It's a self fulling prophecy "i'll design acordings to this myth and unorthodox theories and by ear" , lo and behold it actually sounds different , no sh*t sherlock :D

Top Bottom